Pet Battle Dungeons : Discussion and idea sharing

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
Re: Pet Battle Dungeons : Discussion and idea sharing

Post by Paladance » November 18th, 2016, 7:01 am

FuxieDK wrote:There is no limits to pets...

Just look at Moths; we have around 350 different moths...
I think they meant fresh abilities and models, however.
After that, you'd get more colour variations, just like these moths or how cloud serpent mounts are pushed over a third expansion*.
The balance of gating is a key.

Sounds like a very overused Aesop, but apparently the participating itself is what we are supposed to enjoy. Don't tell me that the [pet]Nightmare Lasher[/pet] is really the only motivation nowadays -- I won't believe that. And I'd even dare to tell that the RwL IV reward is, in fact, a certain hint. :P

That doesn't mean one can't look forward. I believe that giving pet stuff a story, and thanks Feasel (or whoever they were) for that**, can not only provide more fun but also give more ideas for rewards.
** Not necessarily meaning the Falcosaur journey, but rather these side features of some world quests. Remember than dazing orb binding the murlocs? Get a toy that lets you put same orb to confuse nearby critters, to give an actually lame example. ;)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 19th, 2016, 9:49 am

It's not really limited that way either though. It's only limited by their creativity and their artists' imaginations. Looks are something they can keep coming up with. Abilities, they can keep giving new sets even to older models. It used to be, all moths were identical outside of color shifts and stats. That's not the case now.

On the topic of the cloud serpent mounts being "pushed over" 3 expansions, though it is somewhat off the main point... the heavenly azure and jade were among some of the most requested mounts ever since they were datamined in the Mists beta. It's good that they brought them in where appropriate.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » November 22nd, 2016, 11:17 am

Gilneas wrote:
It's not really limited that way either though. It's only limited by their creativity and their artists' imaginations. Looks are something they can keep coming up with. Abilities, they can keep giving new sets even to older models. It used to be, all moths were identical outside of color shifts and stats. That's not the case now.
I always recommend that folks do some levelling of their 23/24 pets in the Timeless Isle, so they can learn this really well. Not only are those moths different, their different breeds are also a total pain, and sometimes, downright difficult to take down, because they open up the fights "properly" and "correctly" just like you and I would in most cases.

To me, that's when I got the idea that you mention, that they abilities were being adjusted so that it wasn't strictly a color change for the model, and I always thought that the Pandaria sets tended to follow this mold a bit more than before.

This, however, could very easily make a Pet Dungeon a total nightmare, because you're going to end up with many strategies to try out and one day the combination works, and the next someone misses a stun, and it does not work. And, yeah, that is how we learned all the hard fights in this game ... you had to make sure this and that was done, and that the Rogue did this, and the Hunter did that, and so on ... so to see this is not a surprise.

However, there are some issues which bother me, that I really do not want to see ... crowd control is the major one, when you will see 3 or 4 of something, and each of them takes 3 or 4 of us to do, and the like, and the other mobs take us all down instead ...

I'm not sure I want to go through the hour long time it took for everyone to catch up with the wipes, in the days of Molten Core and such ... it was a really difficult game then, and by comparison it is too easy now. A Pet Dungeon, I think, is a bit of a nightmarish scenario, that brings up a history for me that is 12 years long ... where I am not sure that many people even know, or remember, what I am talking about. The game, then, was not exactly fun, but it was challenging, and that is very different than today, that is not challenging at all, since most of the thinking required to keep it going, is totally gone.

That alone, changes the concept of a Pet Dungeon, and a "boss" mob.

I'm all for trying it, but how we keep things up and alive, when a fight usually lasts a minute or two is the difference .. when in the early days, some fights could easily take 15 to 20 minutes or more, just for the Boss ... let alone getting there in the first place. I mean, with 40 people, Molten Core was 2 days ... a total of 16 hours ... with 4 bosses each day ... to give you an idea of how important the co-operation and strategic definitions were.

Today, this is changed. But adding a "Boss" mob ... as a Pet for a Battle, is an idea that I am not sure can be correctly designed since we do not have pet healers, other than the small heals they can give themselves. However, some pets could be taking less damage on the basis of their abilities, than others, but still means one less pet or two in the fight, and that is a problem all around, when you need everyone and everything at your disposal.