World quests unlocking on alts

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu
Re: World quests unlocking on alts

Post by Peterc » October 27th, 2016, 7:38 am

As someone who was not aware of this loophole (or should that be exploit) until it was too late - I had 8 level 110's all dutifully unlocking world quests so they could each do the pet battles and my 9th was to far from max to achieve in time - now that they have closed the loophole shouldn't they remove the wins achieved using it?

:lol:

Peterc

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » October 27th, 2016, 10:07 am

Hardly going to happen, never encountered achievement credit being withdrawn in my years of WoW. Intentionally gotten through "exploitation" or due to Blizzard@bad at coding.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 27th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Peterc wrote:now that they have closed the loophole shouldn't they remove the wins achieved using it?
In this specific case it would be really unfair of them if they take away achievement progress from players.

This alt-method was discovered and pointed out directly to the developers in Legion Beta. There was even a request to confirm whether or not it's an exploit. The answer was no, not an exploit.

To suddenly change their mind, with no warning, would be incredibly unfair. Not to mention they would lose the trust of many (including me, since I asked specifically 'Is this intended or is it an exploit?' and received the answer that yes, intended and no, not an exploit).

Perhaps they realized after Legion went live that the alt-method was too powerful. Perhaps they underestimated how many would level alts to 110 and not unlock WQs. Whatever the reason for the change in 7.1, a punishment does not seem warranted (IMHO).
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 27th, 2016, 5:28 pm

My guess is unintended. That's not a comment on whether they like it or not, but since it is so inconsistent, I would wager it was a bug.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 27th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Always felt like it was against the spirit of the achievement. Expected it would get fixed in the first major patch. Not too surprising that it was. More surprising was that it made it out of beta like that.

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » October 28th, 2016, 1:26 am

Quintessence wrote:
Peterc wrote:now that they have closed the loophole shouldn't they remove the wins achieved using it?
In this specific case it would be really unfair of them if they take away achievement progress from players.

This alt-method was discovered and pointed out directly to the developers in Legion Beta. There was even a request to confirm whether or not it's an exploit. The answer was no, not an exploit.

To suddenly change their mind, with no warning, would be incredibly unfair. Not to mention they would lose the trust of many (including me, since I asked specifically 'Is this intended or is it an exploit?' and received the answer that yes, intended and no, not an exploit).

Perhaps they realized after Legion went live that the alt-method was too powerful. Perhaps they underestimated how many would level alts to 110 and not unlock WQs. Whatever the reason for the change in 7.1, a punishment does not seem warranted (IMHO).
Didn't realise it came out in Beta (now frustrated even more with myself for not finding out earlier) and also do not understand on that basis why they have removed it.

My comment re removing the wins achieved by this method was very 'tongue in cheek' and not a serious suggestion.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 28th, 2016, 1:51 am

Peterc wrote:My comment re removing the wins achieved by this method was very 'tongue in cheek' and not a serious suggestion.
No worries! I know you didn't mean anything by it. I just wanted to clarify for anyone who may not be keeping up with the latest information so we're all on the same page. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 28th, 2016, 8:57 am

also do not understand on that basis why they have removed it.
I can think of a couple good reasons. Just because they didn't fix something in beta that should of been fixed doesn't mean they should never fix it.

1) It really wasn't in the spirit of the achievement. It was trivializing what was supposed to be a long term achievement, and really did seem like cheating.

2) It was encouraging you to do something counter-intuitive (not unlock WQ's). WQ's are a core part of the gameplay at 110, with many things related to them. This bug was actively giving you a reason to try to avoid that core aspect of being 110 at Legion. You shouldn't want to do that.

Also, they removed the ability to do tamers multiple times per day for benefit back early on in Mists, so adding it back in here wouldn't make sense.

Feo
Pet Score:13244
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Feo » October 28th, 2016, 10:22 am

I realize I'm a little late to this discussion but, I can also confirm that I was able to battle Robert Craig on my alt (non-WQ) after the patch. As others have said, I was unable to battle Amalia or Odrogg on the same character. So they either forgot about Robert Craig, and perhaps others, or there's a fix coming to that. In the meantime, we should compile a list of the tamers that are still available via the alt method.

Available: Robert Craig

Unavailable: Amalia, Odrogg

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » October 28th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Wouldn't be a first that their hotfixes don't work 100% :roll:

Ockham
Pet Score:4622
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ockham » October 29th, 2016, 2:05 pm

I know they aren't part of Family Familiar, but for another data point I checked Andurs and Rydr today on my no-WQ alt and couldn't battle them either. It definitely seems like Robert Craig still working was the exception. Still going to wait to check a couple of the FF tamers that haven't popped since tuesday though.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » October 30th, 2016, 7:30 am

Feo wrote:I realize I'm a little late to this discussion but, I can also confirm that I was able to battle Robert Craig on my alt (non-WQ) after the patch. As others have said, I was unable to battle Amalia or Odrogg on the same character. So they either forgot about Robert Craig, and perhaps others, or there's a fix coming to that. In the meantime, we should compile a list of the tamers that are still available via the alt method.

Available: Robert Craig

Unavailable: Amalia, Odrogg
I have 3 characters at 110, one of them Horde and the other 2 Alliance. Only got the 3rd one up this week, after the patch, but prior to that, the other 2 characters never had the same quests each day for Pet Battles ... and since the past Tuesday, all three characters have the same quests, for Pet Battles.

Code wise, it makes more sense and it's less confusing?

My guess is that all these will fall into line, otherwise there would be no reason for them to show as a possible quest on any other character in your map! But that's like saying they can fix the Garrison dailies with the Pets, which are STILL messed up, but messed up to the good for us!

The question is if they think that one result from that fight is enough, and too much of a giveaway, and thus it gets cut so you can only do that particular fight once a day kind of thing, even once a week, when they get down to it, and nerf it even more!

To me, this only shows that there are people that do not agree within Blizzard and they can not get it together because some code goes right and other code goes left, and they do not come together enough to be conclusive and making some sense! I guess it's time to STOP MAKING SENSE.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » October 31st, 2016, 9:27 am

Hi,

Unlocked fine for me on my alt's. Two in Alliance and one in Horde on the same server (Draka).

However, my neighbor, is having issues getting it, and he already has 3 other characters (one Horde and 2 Alliance) at 110 with the World Quests, but on the third character he has a mess ... and I'm pretty sure that his Val'sharah trees are incomplete since the Goddess Watches Over You is not do'able yet, and appears to be an empty quest.

I'm working on having these cleared for him to get that account OK'd for the rest.

It looks like those trees of quests in Val'sharah is an absolute must, to the point where I did not even have Stroheim, on one of my characters, and I got the World Quests unlocked anyway. (I did have the Nightfallen just gotten to Friendly). So it might be a suggestion that Val'Sharah is a very important part of the process.