Xu-Fu's Pet Battle Strategies

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Greenstar
MVP
Pet Score:13861
BattleTag®:Mattob#1633
Realm:Deathwing-us
Xu-Fu's Pet Battle Strategies

Post by Greenstar » October 15th, 2016, 1:42 pm

I just found this site the other day and I don't think it duplicates this site so I thought I'd share. I've only tried a few of the suggested teams so I can't fully endorse it yet, but it's well laid out and easy to follow. :lol:

http://www.wow-petguide.com

If you go the Legion -> Family Familiar section (http://www.wow-petguide.com/index.php?m=FamilyFamiliar), you can select a pet master and the class of the team to see a team they have done it with, including the rotations. I like to find my own teams but once in a while it's nice to see what someone else has done.

Enjoy.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Xu-Fu's Pet Battle Strategies

Post by Gráinne » October 15th, 2016, 3:38 pm

I'm surprised that any veteran battler isn't already familiar with it. :)

The author posts here regularly as Aranesh, responds to comments posted, updates info based on further testing, and of course updates in response to changes like the recent Howl nerf that broke many strats.

It holds the best current collection of strats, and if you don't have the required pets or if RNG is messing with you on the main strats, you will likely find useful ideas in the comments.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » October 16th, 2016, 12:45 am

Yep, I used it and almost done with the achievement. If the strat didn't work I either looked at the comments or just sifted through wowhead comments.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » October 17th, 2016, 11:49 am

Its a great site for the purpose of consolidating strategies and having a single-point entry. The downside is to my experience that most of the strategies are garbage. You usually end up reading the comments and following their advice instead. Better than scouring wowhead pages thats for sure.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » October 17th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Well, Legion fights aren't very easy to get them actually happening even considering the "bonus feature" :p

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » October 17th, 2016, 1:50 pm

No, Lolfixheal, the vast majority of strats there work fine, and I say that as someone who has tested a number of them. (Testing is different from trying once, without noting the numbers and attempting to adapt, and declaring defeat.)

However, there are at least some, and possibly many, battles for which there is no close-to-100% strat known at the moment. 75% strats, or 70% strats. Some of the Family Familiar battles are like this. Naturally, these are the ones that people with established rosters go to the web to look for - the ones they can't handle by themselves.

If you try one strat and fail, and then try another and succeed, do you know whether they were 70% and 50% strats respectively, or 50% and 70% strats?

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » October 17th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Gráinne wrote: However, there are at least some, and possibly many, battles for which there is no close-to-100% strat known at the moment.
^^ 100% this. There are probably some fights that simply do not have a perfect win rate and no doubt some fights will require specific breeds. I only recently discovered Xu-Fu's strategies and my goodness do they save me some tears! Definitely not 100% wins, but just having a base to start from is helpful, and this site is GREAT for that and for leaving easy feedback. I support giving recognition to this guide and to giving our fellow pet-aholics a new resource. :)

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 17th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Lolfixheal wrote:Its a great site for the purpose of consolidating strategies and having a single-point entry. The downside is to my experience that most of the strategies are garbage. You usually end up reading the comments and following their advice instead. Better than scouring wowhead pages thats for sure.

I have not found that to be the case at all. Unless they're ones that are still works in progress -- that is, still trying to find consistent, reliable strats for a particular fight -- they are nearly always spot on.

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » October 18th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Gilneas wrote:
Lolfixheal wrote:Its a great site for the purpose of consolidating strategies and having a single-point entry. The downside is to my experience that most of the strategies are garbage. You usually end up reading the comments and following their advice instead. Better than scouring wowhead pages thats for sure.

I have not found that to be the case at all. Unless they're ones that are still works in progress -- that is, still trying to find consistent, reliable strats for a particular fight -- they are nearly always spot on.

I appreciate and use Xu-Fu a lot. The strats I've tried for various Family Familiar fights have been great. I've also been able to use them to figure out how to insert a leveling pet into the equation from time to time.

Prettyheals
Pet Score:5799
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Prettyheals » October 18th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Xufu's site is one of the best sites for posted strategies. He has put together a massive amount of data for these fights, and made it available at Legion launch.

There are some fights on his site that I feel are "works in progress". You are not going to get a 100% success rate using them.

I do find some of the strats to be kind of weak and RNG dependent. I have noted some posted strats will dictate a certain ability needing to land a specific x amount of damage in order to succeed. That speaks to an RNG element. There are a few trainers that use pet swapping abilities during the battle, like Sir Galveston and Grixis Tinypop. I find these type of battles difficult to script turn by turn instructions for, and that his instructions don't always line up exactly with the current pet and ability being used.

Also as someone else said, if you are doing the family familiar achievement, there are certain pet class weaknesses you have to overcome to win. That is challenging.

Overall, his strategies are good. As others have said, you need to be experienced to know when the fight deviates from his turn by turn instructions, that you can move forward and still win. I appreciate having his site as a resource. I find if I don't like the strategy he posted, it helps trigger my brain towards thinking of ways to improve it.

Malicedoll
Pet Score:4695
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Malicedoll » January 20th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Is the website down? I went to look up some teams for the aquatic Family Familiar Odgrogg fight and it seems to be down. I am going to throw some crabs at him. :)

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » January 20th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Yup, it's down. Come back in the morning, I guess. :)

Merangel
Pet Score:6930
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Merangel » January 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Malicedoll wrote:Is the website down? I went to look up some teams for the aquatic Family Familiar Odgrogg fight and it seems to be down. I am going to throw some crabs at him. :)
it's down for me as well, it was working a few hours ago. Perhaps too much traffic with the weekend and bonus xp? time to go to waybackmachine.

EDIT: it's back up now