Pet of the Month - Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us
Pet of the Month - Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

Post by Liopleurodon » June 17th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Be sure to check out this month's feature on the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling!

How Do You Use Your Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling?
The [pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] (commonly referred to as 'MPD') is kind of an odd case. Unlike other showstopping pets, the MPD doesn't have a single ability or combo that makes it OP. With pets like [pet]Chrominius[/pet], you can look at [ability]Howl[/ability] and understand immediately why that pet is a favorite, but the popularity of the MPD is a bit tougher to target.

In a vacuum, its abilities are decent, maybe even a bit ho-hum. Sure, you have the asset of the off-family filler [ability]Breath[/ability], [ability]Decoy[/ability] as a solid dodge, and most of its other moves are alright too. The Dragonling has a 309 speed stat, fairly high for mechanical pets, and that certainly helps. That Mechanical family passive ability (resurrect on death) on a fast pet is a big deal, especially combo'ed with that Decoy dodge. [ability]Thunderbolt[/ability] is also a factor, with middling AOE toward the beginning of a fight, or a huge bomb toward the end. All these small things together end up making a pet which is a favorite for both PVE and PVP pet battling.

Personally, there’s no way I could’ve made it through the Celestial Tournament without my Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling. It’s just too good against Xufu’s relentless attacks. It’s a pretty good choice for several of the regular fights around Draenor, too.

There's no one good pet you can make a direct substitute for the Dragonling. If you're looking for mechanical power, the [pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet] is a decent bet. They have a couple similar movesets, though the Zepp lacks the speed of the Dragonling, so plan your turns carefully.

In many instances where you're countering a Magic pet, an [pet]Emerald Whelpling[/pet] or [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet] can take the slot of the MPD. They swap the MPD's family defense for more overall sustain with healing abilities, though MPD still tends to be preferable against heavy burst in particular.

How do you use your Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling? Do you have a special team you like to use in PVP, or another use for PVE we didn't discuss? Lets talk about it!
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Pet of the Month - Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

Post by Paladance » June 17th, 2016, 3:36 pm

a mobile phone post

Don't underestimate its readiness to fight the magic pets! See the DMF bros or menagerie (manafiends) encounters to see what I mean. Arcane Blast and Focused Beams, two progressive magic spells are laughable on mechs.
While Breath can be stuck on the magic passive, most of regular abilities from other mechs are too random, dependable or put on a wrong breed to get to the original peak and perform a clear fight anyway.

Unlike it goes with other forms of mitigation, I actually prefer Decoy on slower pets (mainly for swapping purposes) unless I'm sure they can survive to the next one. The MPD is capable of that 50/50, so the "decent but not premium" speed looks well thought. :)

A nerf to Thunderstorm may keep it in the shadows for a while, but how not to love that visual paradise caused by combining metallic reflections with serpentine swiftness?

Get it before people stop gathering Pandaren resources at all! Though mine was from a lucky Bling's package. ^^

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Corwin_macgregor
Pet Score:8682
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Corwin_macgregor » June 19th, 2016, 4:52 pm

I use Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling to solo menagerie trainer Squirt's Diablo3 team: Breath vs Lil' Diablo defeats in three or four turns, decoy on the swap to block the rather massive hit from Tyrael's Call Darkness and his subsequent Blinding Light stun attempt. and thunderstorm usually has good punch against the treasure goblin (when you can hit it, so be careful!) and even in case of bad RNG vs treasure goblin (or Tyrael, who is the real danger), mechanical Failsafe is usually enough to keep MPD up for the win.

1. Thunderstorm
2. Breath until Diablo defeated
3. DECOY (do NOT Thunderstorm at this point, even though it should be off cooldown)
4. Thunderstorm
5. Breath until Tyrael defeated. Be mindful of more than two misses; Tyrael's Blinding Light will come off CD and he'll stun you.
6. Thunderstorm if available. Otherwise Breath.
7. pass at Goblin's Dodginess
8. Thunderstorm when Dodginess ends
<win>

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » July 12th, 2016, 1:47 am

Hi,

Probably one of my favorite pets as it is strong, and also has decoy going for it ... I love to see it take down the 3 elementals in the daily thing. Fun fun fun!