Pet of the Month - Doom Bloom

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us
Pet of the Month - Doom Bloom

Post by Liopleurodon » May 19th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Be sure to check out this month's feature on Doom Bloom!

How Do You Use Your Doom Bloom?
My personal favorite use for the [pet]Doom Bloom[/pet] is against the robot trio in the Menagerie. Because ol Doomie is Elemental their Mechanical moves do less damage, but [ability]Bite[/ability] makes that weird Critter buff they have a liability for them.

The stun from the [ability]Stun Seed[/ability] can also help avoid the big [ability]Ion Cannon[/ability] damage they all bring to the table, but the timing on that can be a bit tough to find. Unfortunately, other than this, there aren't a ton of encounters tailor-made for Doom Bloom. The Elemental bonuses in general don't see a ton of play solely because of the relative scarcity of Mechanical pets in the wild.

One thing to be aware of when you do use your Doom Bloom: Stun Seed can act a little goofy if your opponent swaps out after you use it. The debuff disappears, but it'll still erupt on the front pet after those prescribed 3 rounds are over. I'm honestly not sure it's intended that way, or if it's meant to stick to the pet you cast it on like other DoTs. It is similar to the mechanic [ability]Entangling Roots[/ability] brings to the table though, so it may be intentional, but with a messed up debuff display. However, just keep in mind when you're building for combos that this is how it works.

Luckily, Doom Bloom itself only comes with one breed, making things easy for collectors. What you see is what you get.

There are no other pets with moves exactly like it, but there are a couple to consider that are similar. The [pet]Teldrassil Sproutling[/pet] and [pet]Withers[/pet] have off-family damage, but less healing and fewer options for support-type moves. The Sproutling and Withers' damage is Critter rather than Beast, so they don't quite fill the same niche. Since there aren't a lot of situations where you'll see Undead pets with Mechanical at this point, Doom Bloom is still the way to go. The [pet]Crimson Lasher[/pet] has both the stuns and healing in similar slots, but without the off-family damage.

So, where do you use your Doom Bloom? Other than your herb garden, of course. Gotta keep those aphids at bay. Let's talk!
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Yoco
Pet Score:3836
Realm:Arathor-eu

Re: Pet of the Month - Doom Bloom

Post by Yoco » May 19th, 2016, 3:48 pm

I can't remember ever using it in battle, beyond leveling it up, but it is one of my favorite pets to actually have out while "on the road" for many of my characters.

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Re: Pet of the Month - Doom Bloom

Post by Vakeetah » May 21st, 2016, 2:46 pm

Doom Bloom looks amazing, no matter what, but it is lacking in terms of battle. Its stat profile, and breed, make it a very generalistic pet - with no actual defining characteristics. At 1546/289/260, it's neither strong, nor fast, nor durable. This rules out [ability]Lash[/ability] as a reasonable choice, which fortunately, is one that would make it less unique; so I guess it's fine after all! 8-)

Elementals with Beast damage are indeed rare, and definitely suited for the Robouflage trio in the Menagerie. The ones I used for that fight were [pet]Tiny Bog Beast[/pet] and [pet]Tainted Waveling[/pet]; but [ability]Doom Bloom[/ability] looks definitely promising for it!

[pet]Tiny Bog Beast[/pet] packs a punch with [ability]Leap[/ability] and [ability]Rampage[/ability], but lacks endurance or sustain. [pet]Tainted Waveling[/pet] can hold its ground with [ability]Healing Wave[/ability], but fails to provide reliable Beast damage, as [ability]Poison Spit[/ability] is half-elemental and thus ineffective vs. Critters.

So all in all, [pet]Doom Bloom[/pet] has the best of both worlds, and will be a reasonable choice should we meet more Critters with Mech damage in the future; and failing that, it's still a good all-rounder.
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!