Whos working on the 1000 wins achieve?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Logansfury
Top Rater
Pet Score:4755
Realm:Korialstrasz-us
Re: Whos working on the 1000 wins achieve?

Post by Logansfury » May 26th, 2016, 4:57 pm

I cant wait to hit 940!

Sounds like youre moving along nicely

Wootzy
Top Rater
Pet Score:5165
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Wootzy » May 26th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Keep up the good stuff guys!
I hope the queue will improve when legion hits. Even this patch, I do enjoy pet battling. But I hunger for challenging, exiting new pet content. And more players. :!:

Wootzy
Top Rater

Post by Wootzy » May 26th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Gráinne wrote:
Wootzy wrote:The Trainer title wasn't too bad :mrgreen:
Dear GOD! If this is "not too bad", what could be bad? :P

I have 60 left of the 1000, and I aim to get them done, or nearly, this week while the queue is still moving fast. The danger is that I may chew my own arm off first to distract myself. :) If I keep up the 77% win rate (stats courtesy of the new Rematch) I need about 80 more matches, at 5 minutes queue plus match each = 6+ hours. I can do it. Can't I? ...

I can categorise the teams I'm seeing as

a) 40% Graves and the Evil Undead (feat. MPD). A significant fraction have obviously read up a bit on PvP, but have no practice playing it. Majority played decently though.Two heavy Undead + MPD, or three Undead. I'm having fun with Willy against the Evil Undead - I do love when he stuns them first move and I imagine the other player going WTF?? - but I have to keep him far far away from MPDs.

b) 30% Discodoggy teams. I suspect his "WoD Teams" page has taken some hits recently. Spotted Done Did Kid, Rich Girls, Kovokination, Frothy Bold Mice (or the other one? :)), Ginsu Brothers, Dreadful Memories, Dreadfuller, one of the Ricks with a Consume Corpse Kid - I detest that Consume Corpse Haunt; I still say it's a bug.

c) 10% interesting teams I don't recognise. Lot of Elementals - Lil' Rag, Sproutling, Molten Corgi. I'd have thought Son of Sethe, Ruby Droplet and Bone Serpent is an unlikely combination, but I saw it very well calculated today. I lost one to "my own" team of Moth, Fox, Crab. Nicely done!

d) 10% PvE players' teams. When you see a PWS, Chrominius and Idol cominatcha you just want to chat across the screen and give some advice. I really want to throw the matches to some of these, and I often do, but not this week. Sorry guys. But please don't show up to a PvP match with a Green pet!
Willy is too much fun! What other pets are you using?
I like running Willy with tongue lash/eyeblast/rot.
And I pair him with with Fox or Vengeful Porcupette and a third pet with Rot.
Great fun, even if I lose! :P

Blizarmy
Pet Score:4314
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Blizarmy » May 26th, 2016, 6:44 pm

?

wholy crap .. um id never get any other games in..

but GL to all who are after it..

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 26th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Wootzy wrote:I like running Willy with tongue lash/eyeblast/rot.
Yup, that's the guy! He'll reliably take out any slower non-avoidance opponent.

Today I was running him with a H/H Crab with Whirlpool, to act as a backline endgame sweeper and Elemental-killer.

The other slot was a problem though. I'd love to have used a Ghostpup, but going in without an MPD counter is suicide. I tried a fast fox, a panda and a Bone Serpent. They all have their plusses and minuses, and I could sometimes do some nice tricks with the fox, but the Bone Serpent, unfortunately, felt the most solid.

Wootzy
Top Rater

Post by Wootzy » May 26th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Gráinne wrote:
Wootzy wrote:I like running Willy with tongue lash/eyeblast/rot.
Yup, that's the guy! He'll reliably take out any slower non-avoidance opponent.

Today I was running him with a H/H Crab with Whirlpool, to act as a backline endgame sweeper and Elemental-killer.

The other slot was a problem though. I'd love to have used a Ghostpup, but going in without an MPD counter is suicide. I tried a fast fox, a panda and a Bone Serpent. They all have their plusses and minuses, and I could sometimes do some nice tricks with the fox, but the Bone Serpent, unfortunately, felt the most solid.
The trick with Eyeblast is a 4 round speed bonus, so rotation goes Rot, Eyeblast, Tongue Lashes.
Do you mean aquatic crab or spirit crab? The undead crab is actually a great choice: Snap, Surge and Rot. Or fox howling a Whirlpool. :lol: I once was up against a mpd with my vengeful porcupette. The mech dragon was rotting, my porc was powerballed to top speed. Man, it was ugly. :twisted: I say we need more pets with the Rot ability.

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » May 27th, 2016, 1:03 am

725/1000

Tonight was blessedly free of meta teams. I havent had such success and fun with Clone-dance and Murkalot-Arc Winds teams in a while :D

Think I may hit the ques again after a bit of a break!

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » May 27th, 2016, 1:15 am

Sorry for destroying the party, but a [pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet] will eat all your Rot teams without a single blink. :v

I don't see it very often because of all that darkness/AoE stuff, but it's just hatched to annoy anyone else.

Still ignoring the meta, I need to try [pet]Crazy Carrot[/pet] + [pet]Son of Sethe[/pet] + something with root abilities and/or flat damage debuff. Any suggestion? ;)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » May 27th, 2016, 1:21 am

Paladance wrote:Still ignoring the meta, I need to try [pet]Crazy Carrot[/pet] + [pet]Son of Sethe[/pet] + something with root abilities and/or flat damage debuff. Any suggestion? ;)
The evening has also been blessedly devoid of teroclaws ;)

Id suggest [pet]Ancient Nest Guardian[/pet] to get your root [ability]Entangling Roots[/ability] coupled with the Mech bonus.

This is just thinking out loud, ive no experience with Carrot or Sethe at this point.

Wootzy
Top Rater

Post by Wootzy » May 27th, 2016, 5:43 am

Paladance wrote:Sorry for destroying the party, but a [pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet] will eat all your Rot teams without a single blink. :v
Well, I don't expect to win everytime with Willy on my team (more like 65%) but my Spirit Crab (Surge) and Vengeful Porcupette will beat Teroclaw if played smart. The S/S Fox with Dazzling Dance outspeeds the Teroclaw as well. :)

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » May 27th, 2016, 5:52 am

Wootzy wrote:The trick with Eyeblast is a 4 round speed bonus, so rotation goes Rot, Eyeblast, Tongue Lashes.
Sorry, I derped. I'm running him with Interrupting Gaze. Since he mostly meets slow heavy-hitting Undead, it seems more useful.
Wootzy wrote:Do you mean aquatic crab or spirit crab?
Aquatic. Emperor H/H to sit quietly on the backline unfazed by Grave Destruction and BONESTORM! and ready to come out fresh as a daisy at the end.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » May 27th, 2016, 6:58 am

I cracked around win 700 and switched out my more original PvP team for a MPD, Graves and a bunny. The grind is real. I do enjoy seeing all the variety though, and some of the more unusual combinations are really clever.

Since today though (mentioning it mostly because of all the wierd Dc's people were having earlier this morning) I've ran into a few odd bugs with pets. Had to forfeit a match against a Zao, Calfling of Niuzao when he charged my bunny who dodged it, and got stuck in a frantic running animation that persisted for a good five minutes. Then just now, I fought a molten corgi, but the puppies didn't explode on my pets. The enemy team remained surrounded by molten corgi's till they lost.

In the meantime, i've been using petPvP to get experience(real slowly) on my alts in the 90-100 range to get credit for winning battles in dreanor. It's not much, about 1% per win, but its something.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » May 27th, 2016, 7:20 am

Nagini wrote:Had to forfeit a match against a Zao, Calfling of Niuzao when he charged my bunny who dodged it, and got stuck in a frantic running animation that persisted for a good five minutes. Then just now, I fought a molten corgi, but the puppies didn't explode on my pets. The enemy team remained surrounded by molten corgi's till they lost.
There is a bug that sometimes happens in the client when pet animations get "stuck". I have often seen it in PvE battles, especially with Lift-Off type moves. Print Screen always frees it up for me.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » May 27th, 2016, 11:07 am

Wootzy wrote:Well, I don't expect to win everytime with Willy on my team (more like 65%) but my Spirit Crab (Surge) and Vengeful Porcupette will beat Teroclaw if played smart. The S/S Fox with Dazzling Dance outspeeds the Teroclaw as well. :)
Good point! I was just assuming that the rot has been a core feature that can't be disturbed by any means or the team fails. ;)
Gráinne wrote:There is a bug that sometimes happens in the client when pet animations get "stuck". I have often seen it in PvE battles, especially with Lift-Off type moves. Print Screen always frees it up for me.
I can remember that it was an old issue.
I often have quite an opposite, at least in PvE -- if an enemy pet is supposed to die to an attack buffed by a [ability]Stampede[/ability]/[ability]Flock[/ability]/etc still being performed, the fight is insta-won with no log of the killing blow. Xu-fu confirmed it when I told him so.
Nice to see you. :)

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » May 27th, 2016, 11:49 am

Nine hundred and eighty.

I have lost all sense of time, all sense of shame. I have abandoned all pretense of picking sane teams. I am playing FoAs and Teroclaws as if were something decent people would do, but I'm winning almost everything. I destroy Graveses and MPDs like ants. I barely notice the poor EPWs and Idols I crush. Forgive me, newcomers! I can barely feel my fingers. Things blur, and reach from the shadows at me. My brain is running out of my ears - and good luck getting THOSE stains out. God help us all... :twisted:

(Here the writing is stained and becomes illegible.)

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » May 27th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Gráinne wrote:Nine hundred and eighty.

I have lost all sense of time, all sense of shame. I have abandoned all pretense of picking sane teams. I am playing FoAs and Teroclaws as if were something decent people would do, but I'm winning almost everything. I destroy Graveses and MPDs like ants. I barely notice the poor EPWs and Idols I crush. Forgive me, newcomers! I can barely feel my fingers. Things blur, and reach from the shadows at me. My brain is running out of my ears - and good luck getting THOSE stains out. God help us all... :twisted:

I cant wait to close on achievement like this! Someone posted elsewhere here "the grind is real". Last night was an amazing night for success with fun but vulnerable teams, but im starting to gravitate to Graves and the power teams immediately when I see serious competition in the ques. Over the halfway point was encouraging and depressing at the same time - like back in vanilla when you hit revered and realized you were only half thru your rep grind >.<

Let us know when you hit that 20th win!

Paladance

Post by Paladance » May 27th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Gráinne wrote:Nine hundred and eighty.

*pat*
Perhaps N'zoth has told Deathwing to do the 10k wins.

@Logansfury, I've tried that. Looked nice on the paper, but I feel the lack of sustainability.
At least I can find Crazy Carrot a very good counter to [pet]Bone Serpent[/pet]s. Of course unless it swaps out because of cooldowns…
A [pet]Fiendish Imp[/pet]? Too threadbare. [pet]Sporeling Sprout[/pet]?
Hmmm.
Why, oh why can't we get a humanoid with [ability]Nature's Ward[/ability] (see Menagerie)?! :P

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » May 27th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Logansfury wrote:Someone posted elsewhere here "the grind is real".
Yeah. My brain is completely fried. I left after my last message, and came back tonight and promptly lost three in a row - one to pure derpitude, one to insane RNG (damn, I hate traps), and one to hitting 3 when I meant to hit 4. Doh.

After that I knocked off another 10, so just ten left to win, so if the speed of the queue holds up, and I don't have a nervous breakdown overnight, I should be done tomorrow.

I've gone 93-15 since the event started, and that is more Pet PvP than humans were designed to tolerate.

When I'm finished, you'll hear me yell from wherever you are - or else I will collapse into a corner and not move for a week.

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » May 28th, 2016, 12:10 am

750/1000

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » May 28th, 2016, 11:36 am

Well, I finished today, so it is possible. :)

Grinding to a number really takes the fun out of it, though. Not that I find the Graves meta fun anyway, but when the details of the battles aren't interesting to you because you only care about the result, it really gets painful.
Logansfury wrote:Just hit 350/1000 last night
Logansfury wrote:750/1000
Wow! 400 in about 6 weeks. That's some serious determination. I got a hundred or so in the final stretch this week, and I'm ready for a month's holiday.

You really are storming the achievement. Keep slogging!