Squirt in Garrison Days (NA region)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Robotusch
Pet Score:10391
BattleTag®:Roboe#2913
Realm:Ravencrest-eu
Re: Squirt in Garrison Days

Post by Robotusch » February 27th, 2016, 2:58 pm

Would you believe it. 1100 kills in Blasted Lands and I had sort of resigned myself to the fact I'd have to buy the Bronze Whelpling off AH, let alone an S/S one, when a box finally dropped after ~1250 kills (1191 in Rarity, but I had killed around 50-60 before I installed it) - and lo and behold, it was an S/S. I think I know what I'll be levelling on tomorrow's roundtrip around the Draenor Battle Pet Trainers :lol:

I guess it means I'll finally have to head to Feralas and finish up the whelpling family *gulp* :?

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » February 27th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Squirt comes to visit tomorrow!

Time to use the broom/weebom strat to hopefully get ALL the things leveled. ALL the things!

Especially since weebom strat is going byebye in Legion, I want to get all my pre Legion pets to 25 before then.

Who's with me? I'd say party in my garrison, but I don't know which garrison I'll be in. Probably my horde toon, since she's in an AWESOME guild, so I'll have someone to talk to, lol
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Robotusch

Post by Robotusch » February 28th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Jerebear wrote:Someone on the official forums posted an interesting strat:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742334331#8

I haven't tried it out, but they specify s/s bronze whelpling and widget the departed (or spectral tiger cub). Next time squirt is up and I remember, I might give both variations a go.
Anyone had a chance to try this one yet?

Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Noxiish » February 28th, 2016, 2:55 pm

For science!

The new strat is actually pretty awesome. First time through, I timed the battle at 1:18, give or take a second for the opening/ending 'cut scenes'. You're still swapping in the carry pet on Puzzle's first turn in, so a level 1 would be safe. Still a pretty simple follow through like the Broom/Weebom method if you're going for multi-hour grinding, especially if Cleave is getting a CD in Legion. (:

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 28th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Thanks for linking that strat! It's worked perfectly for me every time so far.

Plus I get to use my Spectral Tiger Cub; she normally doesn't get to see much battle time hehe. Awesome strat, thanks again. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 28th, 2016, 6:46 pm

It seems like a pretty legit strat so far. Been testing it out without any issue. Nice!

Edit: If you crit on Deebs in the first round, I could see it causing problems, but that hasn't happened yet to test.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » February 29th, 2016, 9:36 am

Tried the above mentioned strategy with [pet]Widget the Departed[/pet], because I don't own a [pet]Spectral Tiger Cub[/pet]:

Try 1: worked out fine, but the last [ability]Spectral Strike [/ability] did not finish Puzzle, so the fight was 2 turns longer.
Try 2: worked out fine
Try 3: worked out fine
Try 4: worked out fine
Try 5: worked out fine
Try 6: worked out fine
Try 7: worked out fine
Try 8: first hit on Deebs crited, worked out fine

No clue why the first try did not work out.

Robotusch

Post by Robotusch » February 29th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Shingetsu wrote:No clue why the first try did not work out.
Did you by chance use Pounce instead of Prowl? I know I made that mistake a few times.

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » February 29th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Well... probably? Does not make any sense otherwise. :D

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » February 29th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Well, I'd say that against Puzzle alone the final method isn't so much important, especially using Widget. :)

It can be even completely another hard-hitting pet as long as it's fast, just beware of the miss chance.
Due to the feline hegemony, I've used Brightpaw once! :lol:

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Vexxarth
Pet Score:4053

Post by Vexxarth » March 1st, 2016, 1:47 am

Hey guys, would you mind explaining what's the big deal with the Squirt Day?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 1st, 2016, 2:00 am

Vexxarth wrote:Hey guys, would you mind explaining what's the big deal with the Squirt Day?
"Squirt Day" is significant because once upon a time all the Menagerie battles provided notable pet experience. However, they were all nerfed except for Squirt. Now she is the only battle inside the Menagerie that gives a decent amount of pet experience (equivalent to Cataclysm/WotLK trainer battles).

See this guide to pet experience for more information.

You can challenge Squirt repeatedly and use a carry pet to level a lot of pets without having to leave your garrison. Plus the Menagerie NPC also provides free healing for your pets, another bonus while leveling a large number of pets.

TLDR; Squirt Day is just really convenient and efficient for pet leveling. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Vexxarth
Pet Score:4053

Post by Vexxarth » March 1st, 2016, 2:15 am

Thanks for the reply! I wish I knew that sooner :D

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » March 1st, 2016, 6:13 pm

Jerebear wrote:It seems like a pretty legit strat so far. Been testing it out without any issue. Nice!

Edit: If you crit on Deebs in the first round, I could see it causing problems, but that hasn't happened yet to test.
As I said on the battle.net Pet Battle forums, funny enough, the first time I tried it, I got the crit on Deebs, and the strat still went off without a hitch. I don't know if it's possible to bring him down low enough to cause Portal issues (which is what I assume the fear is here?), because of the magic racial.

I, too, am excited about getting to use my Spectral Tiger Cub. Widget isn't 25 yet, so I only tested on the cub.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Blue_frog
Pet Score:4970
BattleTag®:Kalyn#1830
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Blue_frog » March 1st, 2016, 6:50 pm

Darolyn wrote:
Jerebear wrote:It seems like a pretty legit strat so far. Been testing it out without any issue. Nice!

As I said on the battle.net Pet Battle forums, funny enough, the first time I tried it, I got the crit on Deebs, and the strat still went off without a hitch. I don't know if it's possible to bring him down low enough to cause Portal issues (which is what I assume the fear is here?), because of the magic racial.

I, too, am excited about getting to use my Spectral Tiger Cub. Widget isn't 25 yet, so I only tested on the cub.
Unfortunately, i've been pretty sick. But, when I get better I'll test it and see if i can add it to the PSA post i do. I will try to use the non-tcg strat tho. Next us server garrison day is the 14th of march

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » March 2nd, 2016, 7:34 am

Darolyn wrote:

Deebs doesn't use portal so I wasn't worried about that (Puzzle does though, so you may be thinking of that). The fear was the magic racial allows up to 35% damage, so with crits in the right place, you can technically kill Deebs in 3 hits instead of 4. IF this happens (I don't think it can though...just haven't ever tested or mathed it out), theoretically there might be a chance that the bronze whelp can have enough health to survive Tyri's Darkness (Again, I doubt this can happen, but I didn't test or math it out specifically). If that happens (probably won't), your whelp will be alive for Tyri's next attack which would mean you would run out of darkness rounds for the final spectral strike vs puzzle (normally you spectral strke puzzle on the final round of Darkness). This isn't a huge biggie if it even happened because widget can probably just finish off portal, but it is something to at least explore to see what could happen.

Again, none of those should be a problem. However as a rule, if I recommend a strat (mine or someone elses), I normally like to fully test/math it out to know the weaknesses. In the case of this one, I didn't have time to do it, so I was basically saying it looks good, I don't know if something could happen bad because I didn't fully explore it, but so far the few tests I have run were all consistent.

Sorry for the confusion!
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » March 2nd, 2016, 12:11 pm

Jerebear wrote: Deebs doesn't use portal so I wasn't worried about that (Puzzle does though, so you may be thinking of that). The fear was the magic racial allows up to 35% damage, so with crits in the right place, you can technically kill Deebs in 3 hits instead of 4. IF this happens (I don't think it can though...just haven't ever tested or mathed it out), theoretically there might be a chance that the bronze whelp can have enough health to survive Tyri's Darkness (Again, I doubt this can happen, but I didn't test or math it out specifically). If that happens (probably won't), your whelp will be alive for Tyri's next attack which would mean you would run out of darkness rounds for the final spectral strike vs puzzle (normally you spectral strke puzzle on the final round of Darkness). This isn't a huge biggie if it even happened because widget can probably just finish off portal, but it is something to at least explore to see what could happen.

Again, none of those should be a problem. However as a rule, if I recommend a strat (mine or someone elses), I normally like to fully test/math it out to know the weaknesses. In the case of this one, I didn't have time to do it, so I was basically saying it looks good, I don't know if something could happen bad because I didn't fully explore it, but so far the few tests I have run were all consistent.

Sorry for the confusion!
Don't apologize, I've obviously battled squirt too many times...I can't keep her pets straight! (I actually had to look up which one was the magic pet, and I KNOW the magic racial highlighted on the first round, which means it's OBVIOUSLY Deebs...yeah, I think I need a break)

And I tried the strat at literally the last ten minutes of the pet battle day, so it was 2:50 am my time. All I recall was that bright yellow number, and the magic racial highlighting.

You're totally right about portal. Thank you for clearing up what the concern with the crit was, that makes perfect sense. You'd probably have to get three crits in a row for it to mess up the strategy, I was specifically replying to the "first round" concern, and totally found it ironic that I got that to happen on my first attempt at the strategy.

Thank you again for explaining your thought process. You, sir, are a genius.

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » March 2nd, 2016, 8:18 pm

I really like how you turn Tyris Darkness on Squirts pets here... but I've only had a H/S Bronze Whelpling and was wondering why the hell you want to use S/S and Tail Sweep until I realized, that it's still dragonkin vs. magic and you're not going for the slow and harder tail sweep but for the early advantage with dragonkin passive in round 5 before Darkness hits your Whelpling.

Sad, that it's not working with more breeds, because the time-locked box is not that easy to farm and then find the S/S one ... so it's not that common strategy I usually look/hope for... but still: Nice idea how to replace the cleave strat most people use these days!

Paladance
Pet Score:12412

Post by Paladance » March 3rd, 2016, 12:15 am

Flohsakk wrote:I really like how you turn Tyris Darkness on Squirts pets here... but I've only had a H/S Bronze Whelpling
I have an additional S/S one. :) If you're still looking for her, prepare yourself for a b-tag list request this afternoon. ;)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Noxiish » March 3rd, 2016, 2:55 am

^ Definitely agree with Flohsakk on the Darkness point. New duo really uses the weather to their benefit, and it was fun to watch on the first few runs when you still weren't quite sure how it would turn out. Still haven't experienced that 'magic crit' on Deebs, but messed up plenty by forgetting I wasn't spamming Cleave the whole fight.

Will say though, sent this strat to a guildie with a P/P Bronze Whelp and it isn't viable either. We didn't check the math behind it at all, just wanted to mention.