PvP noobie looking for Graves/Murkalot/MPD strat

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Re: PvP noobie looking for Graves/Murkalot/MPD strat

Post by Tekulve2012 » October 8th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Furthermore, there are loads of 'wild' pets that are potent...
Emperor Crab, Imperial Eagle Chick... rabbits/moths in this undead heavy meta

There are also many cheapie pets(500g or less) like the warbot, mpd, yellow moth ghastly kid,teroclaw

bottom line is that WoW pet pvp does not require a big gold or RL cash investment
--------------
You see Graves and the mpd a fair bit in pvp...Murkalot, not so often..by chance..I faced that trio today.
I had a fjord worg pup with crouch, an alpine foxling (p/b) with crouch and the fragment of anger (seethe)

I led with the FoA and watched Murk bring in graves with RInspiration...Soulrush stunned Graves and the rest was easy
Crouch is terrific..esp when used early on..it prolongs the beast racial and allows you to reaĺly spank undead with flurry

The FoA is a perfect answer to the mpd as well..

I dont suggest this comp will always beat mpd/graves/murk...but the FoA + either 'crouch' pet + a third effective pet of your choice should work...MrWiggles with crouch is awesome vs humanoids if you want full 'coverage'

Some people like the Puddle Terror since it has the stun move and undead do weak dmg to aquatic pets..it helps vs a teroclaw as well
Last edited by Tekulve2012 on October 10th, 2015, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » October 10th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Mrbeankc wrote:It's reached the point that you can't win in pvp without getting the promotional pets. It's like Magic The Gathering. You will lose simply because someone else spent more money than you did. Graves is a perfect example of this.
Not true, get 2 sunflowers and an ore eater and all the undead teams die.
Chibimage wrote:Sorry Drud, it's quite possible, because I easily beat that team with mine, every time. (Takes forever, yawn - stall teams are the trolliest of them all) He just doesn't do any damage so none of my pets die, while the damage that I can do is just a bit more than what he can heal, and so, it's an assured win.
Sorry but then its just a bad player cause normal you will never win with your combo against Blossoming Ancient, Singing Sunflower and a Ore Eater. And your point CLAIMING that he doesnt have dps proves it cause tree and sunflower hit you every 3 rounds for 148 dmg at least..

Alucryts
Pet Score:2677
Realm:Drak'thul-us

Post by Alucryts » October 12th, 2015, 7:46 am

Papazol wrote:
Bellaryl wrote: What I *don't* have is a reliable strategy for how to use the team - at least from groups I trust, like this one.
1. Murkalot - bless. hammer, fallin murloc, rughteous inspir.
2. Graves - consume, bonestorm, grave destruction.
3. MPD - bress, thunder bolt, decoy.
turn 1 - murkalot - rughterious insp.
turn 2 - graves - bonestorm.
turn 3 - graves - consume.
turn 4 - graves - grave destruction
turn 5 - graves - consume.
turn 6 - graves - bonestorm
turn 7 - graves - consume
turn 8 - graves has all skills on CD, so if he isn't dead yet, you may switch him on murkalot.
turn 9 - murkalot - rughterious insp.
turn 10 - MPD - thunder bolt
turn 11 - MPD - decoy
turn 12 - switch on murkalot
etc.
Main idea this team in aoe dmg. Grave destruction and thunder bolt are the more effective than less alive pets opponent left. Bonestorm does more dmg for full team. In most common case, you will kill one from backline pets without it will enter to battle.
Your opponents will try to change your game order with some stuns, swaps etc. And you need some expirience to play with it. Sometime you will lose.
But, from another side, in like 1/3 battles ppl just will flee from your team before start, so...
I would not take consume. Your main goal should be to get 2 bonestorms and 1 grave destruction before graves dies. Those skull tosses can absolutely trash most pets with its very high damage potential on undead rounds. It is usually better just to run graves in to the ground than to prolong him especially when AOE is a real problem for a low health graves in the back line. My typical murk graves mpd game goes like

1)Start with murkalot. Check to see if any of the abilities can stun on your swap, put up a decoy, or put a nasty debuff on graves. You should spam hammers on murkalot until you get your opponent to waste their defense or nasty debuff (like howl).
2) If the opponents first pet is a critter with critter attacks, keep murkalot in and spam hammers until they swap out. Keep murk in until you either kill the critter or get it below 500 HP.
3) Righteous inspiration
4) Bonestorm unless one pet is already dead from murkalot. If three pets are alive, bonestorm does more damage. If two pets are still alive, grave destruction is better.
5) Grave destruction
6) Skull toss
7) skull toss
8) Bonestorm
9) keep AOE on cooldown and spam skulls until dead
10) bring in MPD and use thunderbolt immediately.
11) Find the best time to use the wall. If there is a hard hitting ability with a cd, use it there. Otherwise, use it to swap to murkalot.

This will win about 90% of games. When you face heavy undead AOE, you will likely lose. You should have a team set up to smash undead AOE teams as a nice change up to get those teams out of the way.

I have found the following team to be incredibly powerful against AOE, undead, and triple weebom/mpd/bone serpent:

H/H Fel Flame (Flame breath,scorched earth,conflag)
H/H Deepholm Cockroach (flank,hiss,swarm)
Graves (skull toss,consume,grave destruction)

Against a normal non meta team it is only slightly above average, but against meta aoe teams and scumbag comps it absolutely dominates.
Last edited by Alucryts on October 12th, 2015, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alucryts

Post by Alucryts » October 12th, 2015, 7:51 am

Rafein wrote:Usually the guy will open with Murkalot, and then go to Graves.

A Night SHade Sproutling with Blind ruins his opening. I also have a team with 2 critters and a Ghostpup, and Ghostpup's shield can have your entire team block one attack.
A little known trick to use against nightshade sproutling....when you face him as murkalot, just spam righteous hammer through his blinds and only the first of the 3 hammers will miss while the last two hit like normal. They will typically take about 450 damage from this before swapping them to the backline.....then they get a RI bonestorm for 750 and a grave destruction for a smidge over 200. Their sproutling is basically dead already with zero benefit to them. Murkalot counters nightshade sproutling pretty badly.

Once I figured this out, those nightshade sproutling teams become push overs. The full team shield can be effective sometimes though. I find it to be exceptionally rare however. A better way to counter murk+graves is just go triple undead AOE....it is a sure win.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » October 13th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Biscuit wrote:
Chibimage wrote:If it's any interest - my Graves, Fossilized Hatchling, Tolai Hare Pup entirely wrecks that team every time. In fact, (insanely) my pvp team is undefeated, over 100 wins so far.
You're joking, right?
I've beaten this exact team multiple times and, it just so happens, that the hare's name was Thumper.
I'm not calling you a liar, but that's a big coincidence.
Ouch, if you want to feel better, you can make that story up but I'm sorry mate, I've never ever lost a match. I really haven't. 8( sorry!! It's been well over 150 games now. But go on believing that if it makes you feel important!

(I switched teams btw, so... Graves/Scourged Whelp/Weebom, no Hare to be had.......this team wrecks even better.)

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » October 13th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Chibi
I met your exact comp today..I beat it because i was running an anti-undead trio
Fjord Worg pup-p/p
Alpine foxling -p/b
Magical Crawdad-surge/shield/wish

Both my beasts crouched and flurried to beat down Graves and scourged whelp
The endgame faceoff was Weebom vs Crawdad..he consumed corpse 2x but the crawdad won easily 1vs 1
--------
This trio will beat any undead x 3 team if you play it well
Tekulve

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » October 14th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Note that I did say 'comp' ...who knows the player at the helm of the team...

It wasnt a masterful handling of the undead trio..they left Graves in too long which resulted in less dmg....also the scourged whelp was used ineffectively..healing-wise
-------
That team would lose to the trio I reccomended ..even in the best of circumstances imho....
If the crawdad is well played, I find that those undead ressurect rounds are perfect chances to lay down wish and heal up your other pets..

I dont often use the Crawdad tbh...I cant stand heal-fests in pet pvp...but if opponents spam triple undead its a lifesaver

Alucryts

Post by Alucryts » October 15th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Chibimage wrote:
Biscuit wrote:
Chibimage wrote:If it's any interest - my Graves, Fossilized Hatchling, Tolai Hare Pup entirely wrecks that team every time. In fact, (insanely) my pvp team is undefeated, over 100 wins so far.
You're joking, right?
I've beaten this exact team multiple times and, it just so happens, that the hare's name was Thumper.
I'm not calling you a liar, but that's a big coincidence.
Ouch, if you want to feel better, you can make that story up but I'm sorry mate, I've never ever lost a match. I really haven't. 8( sorry!! It's been well over 150 games now. But go on believing that if it makes you feel important!

(I switched teams btw, so... Graves/Scourged Whelp/Weebom, no Hare to be had.......this team wrecks even better.)
I actually run Fel Flame (H/H), Cockroach (H/H), and Graves (Consume) against your first comp when I see it and it is fairly successful. The second comp gets its day ruined by an anub idol. Even the most broken OP comps lose to simple RNG fest teams now and again.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 16th, 2015, 8:35 am

Fjord Worg pup-p/p
Alpine foxling -p/b
Have never met this team. So, that wasn't me.

I seriously have never lost with Graves & Foss Hatch on my team, ever. Sorry that you're so angry about it Biscuit but I cannot help you. I haven't lost and that's just a fact and I cannot help you realize it /shrug It'll be alright.

Switched to the Weebom/Scourged Whelp and haven't lost either, but have played with that team MUCH less. My favorite thing ever is beating those cheese double Terrokar Hatchling teams. Cracks. Me. Up.

Then I made a tanky/healy team with Puddle Terror/Fiendish Imp/Zao that's fun, but not 100% Mostly fun just charging with Zao, tbh.

Pretty sure if you're winning against my comp, you're beating bad players of the comp. I am not a robot. If I see a team that's tricky, I change my playstyle. I've got 2200+ pvp wins, I've got experience I don't just mechanically do the same moves over and over.

Once I got over being pissed at the meta (this was months ago) and just embraced it and played the strongest viable teams, (I used to just play themed/cute teams -- all those losses taught me so much. Most of the 2200+ wins are hard fought against the metas that have evolved over the past couple of years) I started winning. Once I got Graves, I haven't lost. It's just as simple as that.

He's too strong, in all honesty. I really recommend more people get him and play him so Blizzard can adjust him.

Alucryts

Post by Alucryts » October 20th, 2015, 8:38 am

Chibimage wrote:
Fjord Worg pup-p/p
Alpine foxling -p/b
Have never met this team. So, that wasn't me.

I seriously have never lost with Graves & Foss Hatch on my team, ever. Sorry that you're so angry about it Biscuit but I cannot help you. I haven't lost and that's just a fact and I cannot help you realize it /shrug It'll be alright.

Switched to the Weebom/Scourged Whelp and haven't lost either, but have played with that team MUCH less. My favorite thing ever is beating those cheese double Terrokar Hatchling teams. Cracks. Me. Up.

Then I made a tanky/healy team with Puddle Terror/Fiendish Imp/Zao that's fun, but not 100% Mostly fun just charging with Zao, tbh.

Pretty sure if you're winning against my comp, you're beating bad players of the comp. I am not a robot. If I see a team that's tricky, I change my playstyle. I've got 2200+ pvp wins, I've got experience I don't just mechanically do the same moves over and over.

Once I got over being pissed at the meta (this was months ago) and just embraced it and played the strongest viable teams, (I used to just play themed/cute teams -- all those losses taught me so much. Most of the 2200+ wins are hard fought against the metas that have evolved over the past couple of years) I started winning. Once I got Graves, I haven't lost. It's just as simple as that.

He's too strong, in all honesty. I really recommend more people get him and play him so Blizzard can adjust him.
I have been playing someone running your comp a lot lately (swap your hare for a rat...essentially identical) and I have been farming it with a P/P emperor crab / frog / cockroach comp. It always comes down to his rat vs my emperor crab where his rat can't even do net positive damage to the crab. Your comp is good, don't get me wrong, but you were more lucky to win 100+ without losing than it is an undefeatable comp. If you know that comp is coming it is not hard to beat (not saying much because you can say that about every comp in the game).

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 22nd, 2015, 9:47 am

In regards to the original team (which was the point of my first reply) its pretty weak, there are stronger Graves teams out there.

Anyway - just a few mins ago I made a random Speed based team just on the fly and queued, sure enough got lined up against this very team (Graves/Murkalot/MPD) and just tore it up. Was kinda funny -- the guy playing it seemed very inexperienced though, that has a lot to do with wins/losses.

http://murlocharbor.com/2015/10/22/beating-the-dreaded-murkalot-graves-combo/

Right now though I'm mostly queueing Halloween themed teams - the bonus here is that Graves fits right in, the negative here is that he isn't nearly as cute as Feline Familiar <3 I mostly lose with my themed teams, sigh.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » October 22nd, 2015, 3:39 pm

I am going to mention that I totally suck at Pet PvP. Like in I'm the one people will get their most wins against.

23/250 see really bad and I'm actually trying. I stopped trying due to the loss of both parents in 6 months plus all the hospital stuff I had to take care of (27 in 1 year between them) I haven't wanted anything to add stress but I REALLY want the stunted direhorn so it's back to the Pet PvP battles.

So all of the awesome idea you all have been discussing totally rock.

Alucryts

Post by Alucryts » October 26th, 2015, 9:59 am

Chibimage wrote:In regards to the original team (which was the point of my first reply) its pretty weak, there are stronger Graves teams out there.

Anyway - just a few mins ago I made a random Speed based team just on the fly and queued, sure enough got lined up against this very team (Graves/Murkalot/MPD) and just tore it up. Was kinda funny -- the guy playing it seemed very inexperienced though, that has a lot to do with wins/losses.

Right now though I'm mostly queueing Halloween themed teams - the bonus here is that Graves fits right in, the negative here is that he isn't nearly as cute as Feline Familiar <3 I mostly lose with my themed teams, sigh.
Isn't that the truth haha. I have no idea how many times I have queued Graves/Murk against an MPD and watched as the MPD first turn decoys.....it's uncanny. That or the blind you used on that guy. very very few people actually delay it at all and just blindly throw it up for murkalot to mow down with hammers.

Alucryts

Post by Alucryts » October 26th, 2015, 10:01 am

Ravnhawk wrote:I am going to mention that I totally suck at Pet PvP. Like in I'm the one people will get their most wins against.

23/250 see really bad and I'm actually trying. I stopped trying due to the loss of both parents in 6 months plus all the hospital stuff I had to take care of (27 in 1 year between them) I haven't wanted anything to add stress but I REALLY want the stunted direhorn so it's back to the Pet PvP battles.

So all of the awesome idea you all have been discussing totally rock.
Sorry to hear your troubles.

If all you care about is wins and not so much the fun or being non scummy, you can simply run something like Fossilized hatchling/Graves/Weebomination with consume and you would win 75% at worst.

Alucryts

Post by Alucryts » October 27th, 2015, 10:06 am

Meistar wrote:
If all you care about is wins and not so much the fun or being non scummy, you can simply run something like Fossilized hatchling/Graves/Weebomination with consume and you would win 75% at worst.
I dislike the PVP aspect, but I really want the Direhorn pet, without sounding like a noob (which I am when it comes to the pvp aspect) how does the FH/Grave/Weeb team work?
It is essentially entirely AOE based. I haven't run it personally, but the overwhelmingly typical strategy would be to start with graves. You want to then cast bone storm followed by grave destruction. After that just spam skulls and use your bonestorm and grave destruction as they come off of cd. The only exception to that is you don't want to kill yourself with bonestorm unless you are nearly guarenteed to die AND your grave destruction will be off of cd next turn. That is the only time you should ever kill yourself with bonestorm damage. Some people will assume that you will kill yourself with it and cast heals or swap pets....force them to kill you.

After graves is dead, swap to weebom and spam cleave. Once you pass 50% health hit consume, and continue to spam cleave. Once he is dead, use corpse explosion if the pet it will hit has 50% of their HP or more left. Otherwise, use cleave again.

On second thought, a better third pet is probably going to be mechanical pandaren dragonling. Bring him in at the end for some massive thunderbolts. MPD is a better 3rd pet than FH is for this type of aoe comp. Remember that if you can kill the current pet with a single breath, it is better to delay the thunderbolt one turn by killing a pet that is in the front line so the thunderbolt does more damage to the pet(s) that are left.

Essentially just aoe with graves, aoe and heal once with weebom, finish off last pets with MPD. This won't beat every team, but it is quite easy to play and will win most games.