Searching More Specifically, May Need Advice.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Magneith
Pet Score:4119
Realm:Saurfang-us
Searching More Specifically, May Need Advice.

Post by Magneith » July 20th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Hello People :)

Is there an addon you can get, or a site you can go to, where you can use a series of dropdowns to find a certain pet? I have PetJournal Enhanced, but have trouble finding certain combinations of family type/ability type/particular spell. I'm finding some of the new Tanaan battles very inconsistent, even with some of the "dream team"s mentioned on Wowhead and such. Some of my teams for some of them can be very hit and miss, they'll either trample it, or struggle. The same team can be beaten a few times in a row, but then smash it. Also, f anyone wants to glance over my pets and tell me if there's any I must level up intermediately, I'd be most thankful.

Thanks people!

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583

Re: Searching More Specifically, May Need Advice.

Post by Jazeel » July 20th, 2015, 8:55 pm

cant help you with an addon that does what your asking, i have only ever used pettracker and battlepet ID addons. Had a quick gander at your collection and 3 useful pets you haven't worked on are feline familiar, stitched pup, enchanted broom. I have had no hassle doing the tanaan tamers with panda water spirit, chrominius and emerald proto whelp. Except for dark gazer, who i will probably use a zandalari based team for next time i get the chance. I also noticed you lack a frostwolf pup in your collection, i have an alt or two on your side of server so will send you one this weekend when i am ingame.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » July 21st, 2015, 12:58 am

Pretty impressed with your pet collection. You seem to have prioritized the really useful ones in leveling, looks like they're all 25. Would agree with previous post about working the Feline Familiar though she's not the most useful in Tanaan but is greatest in combination for leveling up pets in other areas.

Frustrating thing about fighting the Tanaan trainers is that can't predict who the backline pets are going to be. That, and the ridiculous buff the main guy pops in addition to massive hit over your whole team, means lot of them heavily RNG dependent. No shame in having to try 2 or 3 times. And then, of course, you usually get one lousy token from it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » July 21st, 2015, 2:17 am

Magneith wrote:Is there an addon you can get, or a site you can go to, where you can use a series of dropdowns to find a certain pet? I have PetJournal Enhanced, but have trouble finding certain combinations of family type/ability type/particular spell.
Have you tried using our [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/smart-pet-search/]Smart Pet Search[/url]? You can select what type of pet you want to use and which family you'd like them to be strong against, among other options.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » July 21st, 2015, 4:00 am

I can't help with addon advice but I can help with the Tanaan legendary trainers . . . . they can all be beaten with a combo of Pandaren Water Spirit, Chrominius and Emerald Proto Whelp using the "howl bomb" method. :) There are a couple of fights where you'd use a double "bite" from Chrominius but for the vast majority "surge" will do it.

I've been blasting through them every day with this strat so I hope this helps you too :)
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Magneith

Post by Magneith » July 21st, 2015, 4:20 am

Thanks everyone, and Quintessence, that looks like what I'm looking for! I'll get the 3 pets mentioned leveled up. For the Tanaan pets, I do use that combination (howl bomb dream whelp), but it doesn't always work for me. Occasionally a blue tree python gets thrown in or a blue fen crab and it stuffs it up. I get them all done eventually, there doesn't seem to be any sure-fire ways though, more so reliance on RNG. Still, if they were easy, they wouldn't be as fun.

Thanks everyone for your input! Great community on this site.

(I think my Emerald Proto-Whelp is too slow, its a P/B, I think I need speed in there and that combo might work more often for me!)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » July 21st, 2015, 8:11 am

Also note, that while not completely dropdown based, the team addon Rematch has most of the features you are looking for.

Example, you can set the type bar to
strong vs flyer, tough vs beast

and in the search bar type:
call lightning speed>276 power>276

and it will bring up all the pets that fit that criteria. You can search based on speed, health, power, level, ability name, ability text, and flavor text

Additionally, if you are looking for a replacement pet for a strat that you don't have the correct pet for, you can right click the pet in Rematch and select "Find Similar" and it will bring up all pets that have 3 or more moves that are the same as the pet you selected (this does clear all other search criteria, so do this step first if you want to use additional criteria such as stats).

Additionally, rematch does have some drop down options similar to pet journal as well.

Even if you don't use Rematch for the teams interface, the search is awesome to use.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » July 21st, 2015, 10:01 am

Are you using Emerald Dream on your whelp? From my experience, the whelp has never had a problem doing cleanup duty as long as you're using the massive heals

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 21st, 2015, 1:49 pm

Magneith wrote:I do use that combination (howl bomb dream whelp), but it doesn't always work for me. Occasionally a blue tree python gets thrown in or a blue fen crab and it stuffs it up. I get them all done eventually, there doesn't seem to be any sure-fire ways though, more so reliance on RNG.

(I think my Emerald Proto-Whelp is too slow, its a P/B, I think I need speed in there and that combo might work more often for me!)
I ran 2 teams for thise, one was Water Spirit, Chrominius, Emerald Proto-Whelp, the other was Unborn Val'kyr, Zandalari Kneebiter, Emerald Proto-Whelp. If one team didn't work as well the other one did. Yes on rare occasion RNG made me have to redo a fight but that wasn't the norm.

For your Emerald Proto-Whelp you actually want a P/P. The extra speed from a P/S isn't worth the extra damage and healing output of a P/P IMO. I had a P/S before and replaced it.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 21st, 2015, 2:45 pm

Yeah Rematch is great. If there is actually a search you can't accomplish you can post on the rematch thread and the author will generally respond. Odds are it will actually be able to do it already and he'll tell you how but if you do actually stump him he updates it pretty regularly. He's also working on it doing a journal replacement like PetJournal Enhanced but I don't think that is done yet.

Magneith

Post by Magneith » July 22nd, 2015, 12:19 am

I have Rematch but it is such a feature-packed addon I've yet to learn to fully utilise it. I am using both heal options on the Emerald and I got myself a new P/S last night, it has helped a lot. Got them all done today and got the last pet I needed from the Fel-Touched Pet Supplies!

Even though it is successful, I do sometimes find the Water Bomb Whelp team a bit boring. The new Tanaan battles really got me going through my collection to find out what I could use. Lil' Bling is surprisingly good and I use that on the little riverbeast one near Magwa.

For the Gazer, I use the Infinite Whelp with sleeping gas. You only need a couple of the sleeps to be successful at the right time and the Gazer and Vile Blood of Draenor can't touch you apart from the opener.

I'll go and get the P/P Emerald Proto-Whelp as well and see how that goes!

Thanks again to everyone for their continued input!

One other thing, does P actually affect healing as well as damage? That I did not know.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 22nd, 2015, 1:15 am

Magneith wrote:One other thing, does P actually affect healing as well as damage? That I did not know.
Yes, it does, which is why for a pet like the Emerald Proto-Whelp it's a good stat to have. On the [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet]'s page, you can toggle between the P/P and P/S on a lvl 25 rare and see the difference with Emerald Dream, i.e. 722 vs 650 health gained on 3rd round, respectively.

Magneith

Post by Magneith » July 22nd, 2015, 5:08 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Magneith wrote:One other thing, does P actually affect healing as well as damage? That I did not know.
Yes, it does, which is why for a pet like the Emerald Proto-Whelp it's a good stat to have. On the [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet]'s page, you can toggle between the P/P and P/S on a lvl 25 rare and see the difference with Emerald Dream, i.e. 722 vs 650 health gained on 3rd round, respectively.
Awesome, well, never to late to learn these things. Thanks for the info!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 23rd, 2015, 12:42 am

It does depend on the type of the heal. If it says it heals for a number then it scales by P. If it says it heals by a % then it only scales by total health.