Battling Grand Masters to aquire Battle Stones

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us
Battling Grand Masters to aquire Battle Stones

Post by Oldguy » July 6th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Is there a correlation between the levels of the Battle Pets I use against the levels of the Battle Pets the Grand Master's use which influences the odds or likelihood of being awarded a Battle Stone upon victory? I've been winning battles against several of the Grand Masters and am receiving only junk except for healing patches. I've searched but cannot find concise instructions about this. Nor have I found even a simple list of Grand Masters which includes continents, nearest major cities (FM's), etc. That would help me and others to know how to get there more quickly and easily. In my case, I'm using a lvl 90 Mage, so having my own Portals helps me travel easier.

Also, I'd love to have the "Family" names of each of their 3 Battle Pets mentioned in some of the posts I've read on these forums or even a new post listing them. What's also missing (or, at least I can't find it) is the Battle Pet "Family" names of pets which I should choose from my available pets to use against them! I know about the graphic chart but, I'm hoping for a couple of convenient lists. Hopefully, the information I'm asking for can be separated into two categories:
* Cat-1 would be for using only Battle Pets & Grand Masters available up through MOP and...
* Cat-2 would be like the previous except for the WOD expansion.
Is this too much for me to ask for? I'm hoping it's not.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Battling Grand Masters to aquire Battle Stones

Post by Peanutty » July 7th, 2015, 12:15 am

Oldguy wrote:Is there a correlation between the levels of the Battle Pets I use against the levels of the Battle Pets the Grand Master's use which influences the odds or likelihood of being awarded a Battle Stone upon victory? I've been winning battles against several of the Grand Masters and am receiving only junk except for healing patches.
There should be no correlation - if you're doing Pandaria level trainers your teams will be primarily lvl 25s or 25s + a carry pet anyway. I also still do some lower level trainers with bag rewards (i.e. Winterspring) and still get stones on a regular basis using a team of 25s + a carry.
Oldguy wrote:Nor have I found even a simple list of Grand Masters which includes continents, nearest major cities (FM's), etc. That would help me and others to know how to get there more quickly and easily. In my case, I'm using a lvl 90 Mage, so having my own Portals helps me travel easier.
There's been plenty of lists posted on this site, but at this point I think everyone just assumes everyone has it memorized since it's old content.

The pre-MoP trainers with bags are: Winterspring, Deadwind Pass, Shadowmoon Valley (Outland), Icecrown, Uldum.
The MoP trainers with bags: one per zone plus the 4 Pandaren spirits.
All locations are marked on your world map with green paws.

Your fastest route will vary. I don't go by speed between points but by the effectiveness of my strats at carrying pets. I have 2 routes and can complete them in just under 1 hr, which includes flying.

Route 1: Jade Forest > Air Spirit > Earth Spirit > Kun-lai > Fire Spirit > Townlong
Route 2: Winterspring > 1 wild battle > Valley of Four Winds > Krasarang > Water Spirit > Dread Waste > Eternal Vale

Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Oldguy » July 8th, 2015, 11:20 am

Thank you, Peanutty, for your reply. It's good information. I guess I'm just having really bad luck at having any kind of Battle Stones drop for me after weeks of defeating 3 Grand Masters on a daily basis, repeatedly. heh heh

In reference to your comment:
"There's been plenty of lists posted on this site, but at this point I think everyone just assumes everyone has it memorized since it's old content."
I have seen many posts which include the term "Grand Master" but, I haven't seen one simple, concise list which includes the information I mentioned such as each pet's "Family" name (Beast/Flying/Elemental, etc.), and continent/faction/ location where the Grand Master resides, and so forth. I've found partial information buried inside numerous posts where some of the posts had dozens of pages to look through. Got tiresome.

Nevertheless, your info is helpful and appreciated! I'm especially happy to hear that there's no correlation between pet-levels and the Battle Stone drop potential. Thank you!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 8th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Oldguy wrote:I guess I'm just having really bad luck at having any kind of Battle Stones drop for me after weeks of defeating 3 Grand Masters on a daily basis, repeatedly. heh heh
RNG is a huge factor. With 3 trainers a day you can go days without seeing one; back when I was doing the 11 trainers on my routes listed below, I was averaging about 2 stones each day. This is with a sample of probably 6 to 9 months of doing the same route each day.
Oldguy wrote:I have seen many posts which include the term "Grand Master" but, I haven't seen one simple, concise list which includes the information I mentioned such as each pet's "Family" name (Beast/Flying/Elemental, etc.), and continent/faction/ location where the Grand Master resides, and so forth. I've found partial information buried inside numerous posts where some of the posts had dozens of pages to look through.
No one's made a list with things like the families, I imagine, because no one wants to go through, look it all up, and type it up. :) But the list I gave you is the entire list of pre-MoP/MoP trainers with bags (and again exact locations are on your map). If you want to compile all that into a list that you find more useful, I'm sure there's folks who would also find it helpful. Or maybe there's someone who knows of a site that has all this compiled already?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » July 8th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Oldguy wrote: I have seen many posts which include the term "Grand Master" but, I haven't seen one simple, concise list which includes the information I mentioned such as each pet's "Family" name (Beast/Flying/Elemental, etc.), and continent/faction/ location where the Grand Master resides, and so forth.
This isn't a list, but the addon [url=http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/battle-pet-daily-tamer]Battle Pet Daily Tamer[/url] has all Tamers located on the in-game world map. In addition to showing the location of each Tamer, it shows the family type for the pets that each one has.

It also assigns each Tamer with a specific colored marker:
  • Pet Reward Dailies (green paw): These are dailies that reward a pet supply satchel, pet charm or token to buy pet supplies.
  • Normal Dailies (blue paw): These are dailies that reward xp but no extra rewards.
  • Legendary (orange paw): These are the legendary pets to battle in Tanaan Jungle or in Pandaria if you have picked up the Book of Fables quests.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com