Battle team that I've been doing really well with in PVP

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Zheron
MVP
Pet Score:5431
Realm:Burning Blade-us
Battle team that I've been doing really well with in PVP

Post by Zheron » May 17th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Xu-Fu
Trunks
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

I always start out with Trunks and put down Moonlight. Depending on the situation, I may either swap to another pet, cast Avalanche, or perhaps if the enemy pet is weak against your main "When Elekks Fly" attack and you will do "strong" damage to them, I may try that move once or twice even though it only has a 50% hit rate.

Xu-Fu's Spirit Claws does a lot of damage for an ability you can use every turn at 494 damage. The negative is that it has an 80% hit rate...with the exception of when Moonlight is up. Guess what? You already cast Moonlight with Trunks, so now you have a 100% hit rate on a high damage attack. Be sure to heal up with his Feed ability when necessary, and sometimes I even like to use it quite early and swap out to the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling so I can re-heal Xu-Fu again later.

When you use the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, be sure to cast Thunderbolt. It does damage to the entire team, split 3 ways. The key here is that that 592 damage and also even Trunks' Avalanche ability (at a massive 716 damage) are still damage you will need to do to the enemy pets, regardless, so it doesn't matter that you aren't directly attacking their front pet that is in play.

Think of the entire team's health pool as a single number and you will realize how strong those abilities are. They also make great finishers when they only have one pet left as it does all the damage to their single pet. Lastly, they are also useful to kill off pets that are low HP that the enemy may have swapped out to keep it alive...just check their HP that they have left and do the math to see if your Avalanche or Thunderbolt would be able to kill the low health back pet or not.

If you want to swap back to Trunks or Xu-Fu after using the Mechanical Dragonling for a bit, put down a decoy first so you won't take damage during the swap.

This was so successful for me that after playing it for 3 days straight, I randomly am matched up with a player who copied my team, literally pet for pet, lol. That was flattering and quite funny. I'm sure that the Pandaren Dragon can probably be swapped out for something else at your choosing, by the way, but that's just my personal choice as it is an amazing pet. The drop decoy and swap to another pet is a great tactic that I love using with it.

Good luck.

Zheron
MVP

Re: Battle team that I've been doing really well with in PVP

Post by Zheron » May 23rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

Anyone else have a chance to test this out yet? I just did my weekly to win 10 PVP pet battles and went 10-1, only losing 1 battle. The one I lost, it was someone I had played against 3 times in a row and looked like he specifically built a team to counter mine. :(

Ilostmahbucket
Pet Score:4118
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Ilostmahbucket » May 23rd, 2015, 8:25 pm

It's actually kinda hilarious. My initial read of your post left me instantly very skeptical and worried about RNG, weather weakness, and speed weakness of the team. That said, in practice the RNG goes both ways, and when it goes in your favor, it's darn funny.
Thought I'd give it 10 games.
10/2 - including 2 victories from forfeits (the first after he missed a deep breath from decoy block). Predictably lost to two different Bone Serpent teams.

Things I noted:
-When Elekk's Fly 1181 crit
-Key I missed during my read was that When Elekk's Fly goes first if Moonfire active. This can be devastating against active swaps and two games I did 95% of their team's HP with Elekk alone and brought MPD in for the final bop on the nose.
-Avalanche 218 + Moonfire 447 + When Elekk's Fly = 1381 potential damage before their third attack if When Elekk's Fly hits.
-The RNG and speed weakness is not as big a concern in practice as on paper, in my opinion.
-Extremely weak to Call Darkness (When Elekk's Fly no longer goes first, Xu-Fu's Spirit Claws hit chance back to 80%, Feed 50% effective), hit chance to all. Bone Serpent was a hard counter to the entire team, as an undead (MPD's Breath less damage) with Bone Barrage (Trunk's magic class doesn't save him/Decoy burnt through) with Call Darkness/Nocturnal Strike and faster passive speed than Xu-Fu and Trunks, so loss of Moonlight meant swapping in a low health Xu-Fu or Trunks was not viable. Even if you ideally Avalanche->Moonlight->When Elekk's Fly and connect, killing a P/S Bone Serpent... Bone Serpent still kills Trunks and Darkness is up for MPD/Xu-Fu for remainder of fight.

My general conclusion, it was a fun team to play and When Elekks Fly is hilarious. When it connects, wahoo! Their whole team gets plastered. When it doesn't, oh well you signed up for that 50%.

Dreamshard
Pet Score:8360
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Dreamshard » May 23rd, 2015, 10:49 pm

yes I pvp much and I put a screeching halt to this team without any heads up on it first time took it down easy allow me to say my pets and im sure u will know that u didn't lose to an exact copy of ur team I beat that team 3 outa 3 times with frostwolf ghostpup p/p(scratch,heal, ghost bite) deathadder hatchling s/s forgot name of moves but the 2 poison ones and blind and fragment of anger(seethe ,triple hitter(save for pandaren dragon shield force him to use last), soul rush well as it may seem I set this team up for u I didn't im waitin for u to come back with something better ditch that strat its garbage or do I need to beat u again

Ilostmahbucket
Pet Score:4118
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Ilostmahbucket » May 23rd, 2015, 11:34 pm

^ Who is this guy, lol.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » May 24th, 2015, 12:42 am

A pet pvp victory is nice. But if you've done much of it, you know that every team can be countered ...so riding any high horse is unwise. 2 undead pets and the nerfed DAH is not exactly the penultimate team.

Zheron
MVP

Post by Zheron » May 24th, 2015, 2:55 am

Dreamshard wrote:yes I pvp much and I put a screeching halt to this team without any heads up on it first time took it down easy allow me to say my pets and im sure u will know that u didn't lose to an exact copy of ur team I beat that team 3 outa 3 times with frostwolf ghostpup p/p(scratch,heal, ghost bite) deathadder hatchling s/s forgot name of moves but the 2 poison ones and blind and fragment of anger(seethe ,triple hitter(save for pandaren dragon shield force him to use last), soul rush well as it may seem I set this team up for u I didn't im waitin for u to come back with something better ditch that strat its garbage or do I need to beat u again
Sorry my friend, I have no clue who you are. I also don't understand the need to be rude. Don't take offense to this, but your general way of typing, lack of grammar, not even caring about spelling, etc...that leads others to think you are very young, in the 12-13 year old range. There's not always a need to be rude to others on the internet, especially someone trying to help the pet battling community.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 24th, 2015, 4:42 pm

[profile]Dreamshard[/profile], please keep responses constructive and friendly. We welcome all well thought-out ideas, such as [profile]Zheron[/profile]'s, here at WarcraftPets and encourage positive discussion.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com