Menagerie Speed Kills

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vapid
Pet Score:4400
Realm:Korgath-us
Menagerie Speed Kills

Post by Vapid » April 23rd, 2015, 9:48 pm

EDITED April 28 to reflect feedback. Also including a 'minimal pet list'

Pets for speed kills
  • MPD
    Nexus Whelping (P/P is preferred)
    Azure Whelpling
    Rabbit (any is fine)
    Unborn Valk
    PWS
    Chrominius
    Iron Starlette
    Creepy Crate
    Fossilized Hatchling
    Syd the Squid
    Crocodile brothers (Snarly, Muckbreath, etc)
I imagine there are some pet battlers like myself who have collected all the pets they currently can and also have them all rare and level 25. And with the nerfs to the Menagerie it holds less appeal then before.

EXCEPT that it gives free leveling stones and charms. Across all my level 100 characters they each are sitting on 300+ charms each, plus a silly number of leveling stones (currently sitting on approximately 1000 levels worth for new pets). Basically doing the Menagerie to get the stones is the appeal since any new pets we get can immediately be turned into level 25s.

So I am interested in creating the most efficient killing teams for the pet dailies. To that end I have some teams that are useful, but am always looking for better ideas.

Stitches Jr.
This one is pretty easy - uber howl bomb
I use Unborn Valk (B/B), PWS, and Chrominius.
Curse of Doom, Unholy Ascension, -swap- Geyser, Whirlpool, -swap- Howl, pass, done.

Manos, Hanos, and Fatos
Also easy, key is to use Decoy when Hanos comes out to block the blind
MPD, any two other pets .
Spam Breath, use Thunderbolt if they are under the health threshold to kill. Use Decoy to block Blind. That's it.

Deebs, Tyri, and Puzzle
Pretty much the same as Manos & co. Use Decoy when Tyri comes out to avoid Call Darkness and the Stun
MPD, any two pets.
Use Thunderbolt off cooldown, Spam Breath otherwise. Use Decoy against Tyri.

Brutus and Rukus
I use 3x Iron Starlette
Wind-Up, Supercharge, Wind-Up - swap- Wind-Up, Supercharge, Wind-Up, done.

Mr. Terrible, Carroteye, and Sloppus
Haven't bothered coming up with a quick counter yet.

The Beakinator
Nexus Whelpling, Azure Whelping, any.
Arcane Storm, Mana Surge. Rinse and repeat.

Queen Floret and King Floret
I beat them using 3x Crocodile brothers (Muckbreath, Snarly, etc), but there probably is a faster way then Rip, BITW, Surge.

Kromli and Gromli
Haven't bothered coming up with a quick counter yet.

Grubbles, Scrags, and Stings
Using the suggestion from Sepsis, ty
Azure Whelpling, Nexus Whelpling, any third.
Arcane Storm,3x Claw, Surge of Power, Azure dies, Mana Surge, done.

Jahan, Samm, Archimedes

Eleanor
Any rabbit breed is faster then Eleanor, so the most optimal is actually a H/P Grasslands Cottontail
Any Rabbit, any two pets.
Flurry, Dodge (to avoid the big hit and rot), Flurry, use Dodge on cooldown. Done.

Tirs and Fiero
Syd the Squid, any other pets
Whirlpool, Bubble, Water Jet until Tirs dies, Whirlpool, Water Jet until Fiero dies. Usually 9 rounds max.

Rockbiter, Stonechewer, and Acidtooth
Thank you to Sepsis for this!!
Creepy Crate 1/1/2
Unborn Val'kyr 2/2/2
Fossilized Hatchling 2/2/2

1) Death Grip
2) BONESTORM!
3) Switch to Val'kyr
4) Curse of Doom
5) Unholy Acsension; back to Crate
6) BONESTORM!
7) Swap to Fossil
8) BONESTORM!
9-10) Bone Bite

Quintessence of Light

Blingtron 4999b, Protectron 011803, and Protectron 022481
I haven't bothered to develop a fast strat.

If anyone has ideas for the 5 battles I have bothered with, super. Also if anyone has any ideas on making some of the battles more efficient - also super.

Hope this is of some use to folks who just want to farm the charms/stones quickly each day.

P.S. I am ignoring the random visiting trainer since they can literally be beaten by anything. It does provide three free flawless training stones though.
Last edited by Vapid on April 30th, 2015, 2:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Re: Menagerie Speed Kills

Post by FuxieDK » April 24th, 2015, 12:31 am

I doubt I'm the only one, but I cannot be bothered to have more than one of each pet..

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Merana » April 24th, 2015, 6:37 am

For Eleanor I use a S/S Alpine Foxling that only needs to do Dazzling Dance and take the big hit, then PWS with Geysir and Whirlpool and Chrominius with Howl and Surge of Power take care of the goat.
Actually, after the nerf a howl bomb is usually enough for all the pets that come alone (even Beakinator and Quintessence of Light).

Sepsis
Pet Score:4668
BattleTag®:Kaivic#1622
Realm:Gnomeregan-us

Post by Sepsis » April 25th, 2015, 5:28 pm

I haven't bothered doing many of these menagerie battles since the nerf (outside of Squirt), I still have my old carry teams saved for most of them... maybe I should get back into them, finding new strats is half the fun.

Anyway, I've been doing all the single pets with just the simple Howlbomb of PWS+Chrominius.

Sepsis

Post by Sepsis » April 26th, 2015, 1:59 am

Alrighty, I took some time after raiding to work on todays challenge of Grubbles, Scrags, and Stings.
I found two strategies; the first requires Murkalot which not everyone will have, but is fastest at 6 rounds. The second can vary depending on crits, but it's usually 8 rounds.

Team 1:
Murkalot 2/1/1
Blackfuse Bombling (P/P) Armageddon
Nexus Whelpling (P/P) 1/2/2

1) Righteous Inspiration
2) Armageddon
3) Arcane Storm
4-6) Mana Surge

Team 2:
Azure Whelpling 1/1/1
Nexus Whelpling (P/P) 1/2/2

1) Arcane Storm
2) Claw
3) Claw
4) Claw
5) Surge of Power
6) Azure dies, bring in Nexus
7-8) Mana Surge
Last edited by Sepsis on May 25th, 2015, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 26th, 2015, 11:40 pm

@Sepsis

I like what you did with Grubbles & Co. 8 rounds is quite good and I will add it to the list.

As for folks who mention not having three of the same pets, I apologize and should of been more clear. The fights with 3x Nexus Whelp usually only need 1 to win, but having the second just guarantees it. Same goes with having 3x MPD, you can win with just one. RNG is the only thing that might hamper you.

So for any 3x team you can easily win with no duplicates. For 3x Nexus, replace with Nexus Whelp, Azure Whelp, and Chrom. For the 3x MPD, use MPD, Nexus, and Azure.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » April 27th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Vapid wrote:Jahan, Samm, Archimedes
I use 3x Nexus Whelpling.
If you have a P/P Nexus Whelpling there is no rinse/repeat part, and no other pets needed. Simply casting 1x arcane storm then 1x mana surge will destroy all 3 birds. :)

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 28th, 2015, 1:10 am

Graven wrote:
If you have a P/P Nexus Whelpling there is no rinse/repeat part, and no other pets needed. Simply casting 1x arcane storm then 1x mana surge will destroy all 3 birds. :)
That is correct. Hence my qualification that unless the RNG gods are truly against you, you generally only need one pet/dragon for the bird dailies. Still to be fair as FuxieDK noted that not everyone is going to be bothered grabbing multiple copies or even optimal breeds like the P/P. So I am taking Sepsis idea of broadening the pet base to allow folks greater flexibility.

Editing first post for some updates and changes.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » April 28th, 2015, 3:22 am

Vapid wrote:
Graven wrote:
That is correct. Hence my qualification that unless the RNG gods are truly against you, you generally only need one pet/dragon for the bird dailies. Still to be fair as FuxieDK noted that not everyone is going to be bothered grabbing multiple copies or even optimal breeds like the P/P. So I am taking Sepsis idea of broadening the pet base to allow folks greater flexibility.

Editing first post for some updates and changes.
Breed is VERY important in this fight..
My Nexus (which clearly isn't P/P) cannot kill all of the birds with one Mana Surge. It can't even kill two of them..
I start with my carry pet (still hoping XP will return some day), switch to NW, cast storm and then cast MS..
Jahan needs 2 hits from MS to die, and Samm always have 3-400 health after the 3rd unless it crits..

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 28th, 2015, 7:35 am

Strange as I have had my single P/S Nexus Whelpling defeat the entire team across my nine alts on the same day. I will add your concerns to the feedback as I want people to have as much information as possible.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » April 28th, 2015, 9:39 am

Just checked... My Nexus *is* actually P/P, but it doesn't change the outcome I discriped..

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » April 28th, 2015, 10:45 am

Maybe I'm lazy but any of those single 'fable' pets can be downed by a Howl Bomb (Unborn Val'kyr, PWS and Chrominius).

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » April 28th, 2015, 10:49 am

FuxieDK wrote:I doubt I'm the only one, but I cannot be bothered to have more than one of each pet..
Some pets are worth having more than one. I have 3 of the Nexus Whelpling although I really do not like the P/B breed (P/P and P/S are great breeds). I have been glad I found 3 of the Kun-Lai Runts and 2 Rapana Whelks for Celestials.

I'd like to get a 2nd Mechancial Pandaria Dragonling but everytime I start to level a 2nd one I meet a new pet collector and end up giving it away. I'm too nice of a person.

I still have all 3 of my Minfernals only because first time I found Minfernals there were 3 and no one else was around and I hated to leave one behind. I wish I could give the other 2 away to help others.

And if I could find a 2nd Unborn Val'kyr I would but it's such a pain in the butt to even find them

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 28th, 2015, 11:55 am

Abbotta wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:I doubt I'm the only one, but I cannot be bothered to have more than one of each pet..
Some pets are worth having more than one.
For collection purposes, some folks don't want duplicates. I'm one of those people. But if you have a large enough stable to play with, you can probably tweak most of the above strategies to compensate and they should still work.

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 28th, 2015, 8:46 pm

FuxieDK wrote:Just checked... My Nexus *is* actually P/P, but it doesn't change the outcome I discriped..
I do not know why you are unable to beat the three birds with just one Nexus, but I do it consistently. In the long run it doesn't matter anyway. Just use a Nexus Whelp and then Azure Whelp and your problem is solved.

With regards to today's Menagerie battle (Tirs and Fiero), I discovered that Syd the Squid is even better then the Crocodiles. Across my 9 characters he was able to solo them both on 7 characters. Two times they got extra crits and the whatever backup pets had to finish them. So Syd is a much better solution for Tirs and Fiero if you need.

Tirs and Fiero
Syd the Squid, any other pets
Whirlpool, Bubble, Water Jet until Tirs dies, Whirlpool, Water Jet until Fiero dies. Usually 9 rounds max.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » April 28th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Vapid wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:Just checked... My Nexus *is* actually P/P, but it doesn't change the outcome I discriped..
I do not know why you are unable to beat the three birds with just one Nexus, but I do it consistently. In the long run it doesn't matter anyway. Just use a Nexus Whelp and then Azure Whelp and your problem is solved.
It actually can happen. Consider the boundaries for Mana Surge on a P/P Nexus Whelpling. On the low end it does 1.5*(361+180) = 811.5 damage, which is not enough to kill any of the birds. There are combinations where this can occur on a non dragonkin racial round, leaving one of the birds up. Add this to scenarios where the birds crit buff works against you and they get multiple crits, you can have scenarios where the nexus dies not doing enough damage to kill all 3 birds.

Don't get me wrong, it has a great chance of working out often, but there are definitely combinations where it can fail.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » April 28th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Abbotta wrote:
Some pets are worth having more than one.
For collection purposes, some folks don't want duplicates. I'm one of those people. But if you have a large enough stable to play with, you can probably tweak most of the above strategies to compensate and they should still work.
Indeed..

I'm "only" at 322/682 maxed pets.. Maybe, when all pets are maxed, I can start to focus on dupes.. or even breed..

Sepsis

Post by Sepsis » April 29th, 2015, 2:44 am

I was late getting on today, but I worked out a quick 7/8 round team for Tirs and Fiero.

Eternal Strider w/ Water Jet and Pump
Zombstrok w/ Carpnado

1-3) Pump
4-5) Water Jet
6)* Pump
7) Carpnado

*If the Strider doesn't die, just switch to Zom then Carpnado.

Sepsis

Post by Sepsis » April 29th, 2015, 8:58 am

All the healing and shields make Rockbiter, Stonechewer, and Acidtooth really irritating, the best I could come up with was 10 rounds.

Creepy Crate 1/1/2
Unborn Val'kyr 2/2/2

1) Death Grip
2) BONESTORM!
3) Switch to Val'kyr
4) Curse of Doom
6) BONESTORM!
7) Swap to Fossil
8) BONESTORM!
9-10) Bone Bite

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 29th, 2015, 9:26 am

Sepsis wrote:All the healing and shields make Rockbiter, Stonechewer, and Acidtooth really irritating, the best I could come up with was 10 rounds.

Creepy Crate 1/1/2
Unborn Val'kyr 2/2/2

1) Death Grip
2) BONESTORM!
3) Switch to Val'kyr
4) Curse of Doom
6) BONESTORM!
7) Swap to Fossil
8) BONESTORM!
9-10) Bone Bite
This is fantastic! I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to beat this team quickly. Well done indeed.