ever find that one team...?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us
Re: ever find that one team...?

Post by Skavenged » March 27th, 2015, 8:51 am

The true beauty of the MPD is that it can serve as both an opener AND a sweeper. 309 speed is faster than most pets, so the MPD can often drop a decoy, followed by Thunderbolt for 600ish aoe damage, and then move into the back line unharmed. Its when he comes out at the end, that the problem arises. Decoy plus the mech racial means he's probably gonna have at least three rounds to take you down. Takes a heavy hitter to beat a MPD sweeper.

That said, there are A LOT of counters out there.
Lil Rags
Any S/S rabbit
Squirrels
Direhorns
Macabre Marionette
Multi-hit flyers
Clockwork Gnome
and that's just a few off the top of my head

Jchertudi86
Pet Score:1137
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Jchertudi86 » March 27th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Skavenged wrote:The true beauty of the MPD is that it can serve as both an opener AND a sweeper. 309 speed is faster than most pets, so the MPD can often drop a decoy, followed by Thunderbolt for 600ish aoe damage, and then move into the back line unharmed. Its when he comes out at the end, that the problem arises. Decoy plus the mech racial means he's probably gonna have at least three rounds to take you down. Takes a heavy hitter to beat a MPD sweeper.
This is what makes the MPD so good. Decoy alone isn't enough or I'd be seeing Mechanical Axebeaks and Frostboars too. But no... this guy has the most annoying speed in the game (outruns everything but S/S breeds), an AOE on a CD (giving him excellent reason to swap and let Decoy reset), and a nuke. He's just a super strong pet.

Skavenged listed a bunch of counters which is true. But to me it's not so much that he can be countered, but simply that you HAVE to counter him right now, or face getting Decoy'd at least 3 times a game (and of course watching your team get demolished by Thunderbolt in the meantime). Oh and the mech racial is also not what you want to have to deal with on a pet like this...

However, having a super dominant pet in the meta just seems to be the way it goes. If not the MPD we'd be back to Death Adder Hatchlings or something I suppose.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » March 27th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Ok so I really need to do Pet PvP for stunted. You all gave me some great idea. Maybe I can get passed the 23/250 LOL

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 28th, 2015, 2:52 am

Hiya folks

Nice to read a pet PvP thread here, I just hit the 2k pet PvP win mark but I only do it a couple of times a week now to break the boredom of the pet monument grind (leveling alt toons this way-1200 battles in)

Pet PvP is well balanced now IMO but there certainly are a ton of undead, mpd and humanoids...this is why I often use counter pets such as Mr wiggles-great tanky pet, sister of temptation (awesome humanoid counter..s/b breed), and a p/b alpine foxling or fjord worg pup ( really trashes undead)

I want to remind you all of some other great PvP ideas-

Use stuns vs Murkalot/RI
Fiendish imp s/s and a scorched earth pet help beat MpD
The s/s ore eater- the next true pet PvP force when used well
The s/s slithershock elver is also a great sweeper especially in cleansing rain
The royal peacock(arcane winds)+ ghostly bite pets is awesome

Routinely, i campaign here for more pet pvp rewards...its a time consuming pursuit...under-rewarded to the point where it will never attract as many players as it could...there are so many cool things they could do with this...sigh

Finally, if you enjoy pet PvP, you owe it to yourself to visit Discodoggy's blog ..Google it...terrific site for pet PvP overall

Tekulve

Celya
Top Rater
Pet Score:4103
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Celya » March 28th, 2015, 8:01 am

Pettea wrote:That may have something to do with a Raindanced-Cyclone doing best-damage-tier-damage. And that pets such as Jademist Dancer, who you probably play in all those teams, are amongst the strongest pets currently in the game - Jademist Dancer may be in the top 5 strongest pets available right now. Probably top 3.
Actually I've been using a Royal Peacock lately, but your point is well-made and I agree with it.
Tekulve2012 wrote: Routinely, i campaign here for more pet pvp rewards...its a time consuming pursuit...under-rewarded to the point where it will never attract as many players as it could...there are so many cool things they could do with this...sigh
Very much this. I lost steam after getting my Stunted Direhorn, and lately have been picking it up again to combine levelling alts with the push at the Trainer title. The weekly pet supplies bag had some use in MoP with the 50% xp buff treat it dropped, but nowadays that doesn't seem as useful. I don't dislike pvp, but I wish there were more rewards for it other than being able to say "I'm up to xxxx wins which qualifies me to say yyyy"...

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 28th, 2015, 10:05 am

From all the pets talked about in this thread only the Murkalot is a true power house and I hope that Blizzard makes that set avail again one day.

The MPD - I see that pat alot on KT-EU too but thanks to Poison Fang and Rupture they never live long enough to do any big damage.
Unborn Valkyr - gets taken on by a Magical Crawdad - Undead damage is weak against aquatic PLUS dots only do half of the damage. Also Crawdads Surge is a nice way to kill Terrorclaw Hatchlings.

The most anoying things in PVP aren't single pets tbh but this mindless teams where you have like 3 Nexus Whelplings, 3 Crows etc (ofc they also deliver the best laugh like 3 Weebomination - one Sandstorm and all the cleave damage is reduced to like 30 dmg...)

Yes my Team is still (since Mop) DAH, Anubis and Magical Crawdad.

PS: Skavenged is there a reaon you didnt post your team yet?

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 28th, 2015, 11:45 am

2 bonkers will own a triple nexus whelp team.. That was my answer anyhow

A triple crow team would not enjoy seeing stonegrinders which hammer back line fliers

Myon
BattleTag®:Myon#1319
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Myon » March 29th, 2015, 11:13 am

Would anyone be interested in setting up a regular time/server to battle on occasionally? I mean, there are a bunch of us that enjoy facing well put together teams, and it would be nice to be able to battle each other for a change instead of the fun teams that most people run. I'd like to see the most ruthless, underhanded, and dirty teams people can put together.

It doesn't have to be a thing where we meet up in the same place, probably too restrictive, but something like "Wednesdays, 9pm PST, Illidan-US" might be better for example, where you do your queuing from an alt on a particular server.

Vapid
Pet Score:4400
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Vapid » March 30th, 2015, 2:27 am

I am really happy that this thread is receiving interest. To add my thoughts:

1) Oddly on my meta I have only seen two Mukalots the entire time I have done pvp pet battles (1750 wins and counting). Once in MoP and earlier today. The guy today used RI and Blackfuse bomb explode thing ... except I saw it coming and dodged. He promptly fled.

2) MPDs are powerful for all the reasons mentioned, AOE change/nuke and Decoy. But generally I don't find them that disheartening to fight (this could also be my meta). For a very simple way of finding pets that can easily take down a decoy take a look at: [url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/filter/?filter=multiple_hit_effects[/url]

Now since pvp battlers are kindly giving some of their teams, here are some of mine.

First the anti Decoy team.
H/P Fragment of Anger (Seethe, Spitfire Beam, Soulrush)
P/S Stonegrinder (Screeching Gears, Thunderbolt, Clean-Up)
S/S Young Talbuk (Horn Gore, Tuff n' Cuddly, Flurry)

Default win team.
S/S Ore Eater (Acid Touch, Shell Armor, Body Slam)
S/S Bronze Whelpling (Arcane Slash, Crystal Prison, Lift-Off)
H/H Ghastly Kid (Hoof, Ethereal, Haunt)

ZandaRag.
P/P Zandalari Anklerender (Hunting Party, Primal Cry, Black Claw)
P/P Lil' Ragnaros (Magma Wave, Magma Trap, Sons of the Flame)
Any third really, thought obvious sweeper choices would be say a Junglebeak, MPD, Bronze Whelp, Fiendish Imp, etc.
** Also today for the first time I saw someone use a P/P Zandalari Toenibbler (Flank, Primal Cry, Black Claw) which was quite effective against undeads and might actually be a better choice of raptor to use. Lastly this team is also very good against MPD since it clears the battlefield of objects [url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/filter/?filter=purges_battlefield_objects[/url]

Pets I haven't used in teams against a MPD, but seem quite useful are:
H/P Syd the Squid (Tidal Wave, Bubble, Whirlpool/Cleansing Rain)
**Think about it, Bubble can block thunderbolt, Wave removes decoy, and then you can either place a Whirlpool or use the Cleansing Rain to negate some of the thunderbolt damage. Also the Magic Racial is nice.

Enchanted Broom or Servant of Demidos. I haven't touched either in a battle, but the Broom is faster and can use Sandstorm to reduce thunderbolt and then use Clean-Up to remove the decoy. Only problem is the the Sandstorm hurts the Broom damage ... though I guess you could just use Sweep against the MPD since it is faster too.

Pandaren Fire Spirit is a great counter to the MPD with Magma Wave, either Slot 2 ability, and probably Cauterize to heal up the thunderbolt damage.

Harbinger of Flame and Molten Hatchling (probably the 341 S/S version) might also be useful.

edit Forgot to add the info of how I see the Molten Hatchling being used. I would assume the S/S breed with the move set (Leech Life, Sticky Web, Magma Wave). With 341 you would start with Sticky Web since it traps the MPD. If it uses Decoy then you know to use Wave, but if doesn't and instead attacks you would use Leech Life. Seems like you would be able to keep the MPD in the front row indefinitely with proper Web/Leech/Wave play.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » March 30th, 2015, 8:05 am

Drudatz wrote:PS: Skavenged is there a reaon you didnt post your team yet?
LOL! Honestly, I didnt put it out here because I don't want to end up facing it myself :)

However, since other people are sharing, I'll share one of my other go-to teams:

S/S Fiendish Imp (Burn, Immolate, Nether Gate)
Ghastly Kid
Kovok

I just start with the imp. If I don't like what I'm facing, I gate them out. Otherwise, I use immolate and THEN gate them. (For MPD, I start with burn first). Swap to the Kid for haunt, and then Kovok for Black Claw and a poison dot. For those struggling with the MPD, this team is a hard counter to it.
Last edited by Skavenged on March 30th, 2015, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vapid

Post by Vapid » March 30th, 2015, 8:51 am

Some more teams of interest that I have come across.

H/P Zomstrok (Infected Claw, Shell Shield, Carpnado)
S/S Bone Serpent (Bone Barrage, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike)
S/S Sky-Bo (Flamethrower, Sticky Grenade, Launch)
** suspect other breeds for serpent and bo are viable

Oddly enough I ran into the pet team I had suggested on discodoggy webpage
2x Fragment of Anger (Seethe, Spitfire Beam, Soulrush)
H/P Teroclaw Hatchling (Claw, Dodge, Natures Ward)

This team is self explanatory, but saw it last night. Ended in a draw
Weebomb, Ore Eater, Teroclaw Hatchling

H/H Ghastly Kid (Hoof, Consume Magic, Haunt)
H/H Bone Serpent (Bone Barrage, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike)
S/S Ore Eater (Acid Touch, Shell Armor, Body Slam)

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » March 31st, 2015, 8:31 am

I've gotten about halfway to my 5k achievement with:

S/S Qiraji Guardling (Crush, Sandstorm, Blackout Kick)
Magic Lamp (Arcane Blast, Sear Magic, Wish)
P/S Flamering Moth (Burn, Healing Flame, Moth Dust)

It's basically Sandstorm/Wish, but with more control than the Anub/Crawdad version due to the higher speeds and the stun. I made the team in MoP because Magic Lamp was one of the few pets that was both able to take on an Unborn Valk'yr and not weak to fliers, and used the Qiraji Guardling over an Anubisath Idol for the extra speed and stun. Flamering Moth covers two of the other pets' weaknesses, beasts and elementals, and also fits in to the speed/healing/decent damage theme.

The team seems to do decent against everything except undead AoE/Darkness teams.

Lately, I've been replacing the Flamering Moth with a Teroclaw Hatchling, as well.

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 2nd, 2015, 10:42 pm

The S/S Qiraji Guardling was one of my favorite pets to use in MoP, but I haven't touched in it WoD sadly. Came across another powerful team to face, though not a surprise considering the pets used.

MPD
Weebomb
Fossil Hatch

Pretty much what you would expect: Thunderbolt, Decoy, Bonestorm, Heal, Bite, Bonestorm, Bite, etc. This opponent elected to use Death Grip on his Weebomb instead of the heal, which I guess could be nice if the opponent had a critter they wanted to switch it out. The team is good because of the AoE nature and the extra immortal round attacks. I was able to best it with two different teams (one was an anti decoy team), but still challenging.

Tivamo
Pet Score:4395

Post by Tivamo » April 19th, 2015, 1:13 am

152 round loss in my first day returning to PvP pet battles in WoD...excellent reminder of why it had been months since I wasted my time with this debacle of a game.

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 19th, 2015, 3:38 am

Tivamo

On behalf of all those who play PvP with battlepets, I express both sympathy and congrats-keep playing pvp though

I consider a 30 round game long! Over 50 features too much healing in my view...over 100 is foolish...I have done one or two of these (in 4k pet PvP games) mainly for interest's sake but I don't usually play with healers much

I rarely flee any game, but I don't blame someone who does...if a result is essentially decided..why delay it?
Pet PvP is pretty solid now...the mpd is strong but the s/s fiendish imp is the best pet to beat it I feel

The p/p emperor crab is tremendous as well -but not vs the mpd necessarily -extra good with cleansing rain up

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » April 19th, 2015, 10:36 am

Tivamo wrote:152 round loss in my first day returning to PvP pet battles in WoD...excellent reminder of why it had been months since I wasted my time with this debacle of a game.
Not sure what teams were involved, but using higher damage pets should help avoid games like that. If everything on your team can consistently hit in at least the 300-350 damage range, you should be able to kill even Sunlight teams well before 152 turns.

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 19th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Yeah ..so my meta was 'polluted' with 2 teams that were fun to play against:
Team 1- ghostly skull/ weebom/weebom
Team 2- mpd/Foss.hatch/teroclaw

The team 1 used UAscension then spammed aoe and consume corpse
The team 2 mixed it up a bit

I had a team that handled them both well but they were close matches
Murkalot/blackfusebombling/mpd

You don't always need to Armageddon with the BfB...a RI buffed flamejet does 1k+ damage and you can still Armageddon later
Both murkalot and the mpd finish well

The teroclaw is tough to beat without a jademist dancer, darkness or aoe

Tivamo
Pet Score:4395

Post by Tivamo » April 19th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and my apologies for derailing. I did extensive PvP pet battling in MoP but took a break in WoD, and it was an exasperating return last night!

Anyhow, thanks for the great team lists above...it's helping me get my feet back under me. Great community here.

Vapid

Post by Vapid » April 20th, 2015, 12:48 am

@Tivamo

You might find this of use. I have compiled a list of 'sweeper' pets. These are high powered pets that have mechanics which enable them to attack first - through the 'attack first' abilities some pets have. The most commonly used one (myself included) is the P/P Emperor Crab: Surge (attack first) combined with a shield and a heal make for a durable pet, that also is a strong counter to undead. My Emp crab has by itself countered a triple healing team (Blossoming Ancient, Singing Sunflower, Puddle Terror) and a triple undead team (Unborn Valk and two Weebombs).

But other good sweeper pets exist. I have put the pet name in italics and the 'attack first' ability move in bold; additional notes after each pet. I have also included what type of racial the attack is, but I leave you to figure out what that makes the attack powerful against (ie Surge is aquatic damage and is therefore powerful against Elemental pets). The additional sweepers are:

P/S (1400/289/289), [pet]Warpstalker Hatchling[/pet] (Beast)
Moveset
[ability]Blinkstrike[/ability] (magic) --- [ability]Triple Snap[/ability] (beast) --- [ability]Comeback[/ability] (critter)
**This is the least powerful sweeper with only 289 Power, but it counters three different classes. The Blinkstrike is a magic attack first ability which is useful against birds. Comeback is a nice addition to deal with Undead.

P/P (1400/341/244), [pet]Azure Crane Chick[/pet] (Flying)
Moveset
[ability]Flock[/ability] (flying) --- [ability]Cleansing Rain[/ability] (weather) --- [ability]Surge[/ability] (aquatic)
**Truthfully I don't use the first ability, so you could select Quills instead if you find it to be a better Aquatic counter. The perk about the AzureCC is having an aoe heal that changes the weather (great against darkness and sandstorm teams) and the weather buffs your priority move Surge. The flying racial doesn't get used so much, but the 341 Power makes ties it for second strongest attack first pet.

P/P (1400/341/244), [pet]Diemetradon Hatchling[/pet] (Beast)
Moveset
[ability]Quick Attack[/ability] (critter) --- [ability]Triple Snap[/ability] (beast) --- [ability]Comeback[/ability] (critter)
**The other strong 341 Power works well with the attack first Quick Attack, which also is strong against Undead. The other two abilities you might use in different situations, probably mainly the possible 3 hits of Triple Snap against a Critter.

P/P (1441/325/252), [pet]Stunted Direhorn[/pet] (Beast)
Moveset
[ability]Trihorn Charge[/ability] (beast) --- [ability]Stampede[/ability] (critter) --- [ability]Trihorn Shield[/ability]
**To acquire this pet you first need to win 250 pvp pet battles, sorry. Trihorn Charge is the strongest attack first ability in game (that doesn't require a setup mechanic like Trunks in Moonlight), but the charge is only 85% hit chance. But if you first use the Shield to negate damage and then spam the charge this can be a useful combo. Stampede is the ability I selected to just cover another pet race.

P/P (1400/325/260), [pet]Lifelike Mechanical Frostboar[/pet] (Mechanical)
Moveset
[ability]Charge[/ability] (humanoid) --- [ability]Pig Out[/ability] (beast) --- [ability]Decoy[/ability]
**A Mechanical with a heal and an avoidance? Yes this is a useful pet with three very good abilities and a racial that lets you attack again. Though to be fair, considering the number of anti Decoy teams and Fiendish Imp that currently exist, this pet would be less than optimal. Still very good. I keep expecting someone to run an annoying 2x MPD and the LMF together.

P/P (1400/325/260), [pet]Sporeling Sprout[/pet] (Humanoid)
Moveset
[ability]Charge[/ability] (humanoid) --- [ability]Creeping Fungus[/ability] (undead) --- [ability]Crouch[/ability]
**You probably have never seen this pet played. I am pretty sure I have only seen it once in over 2000+ pvp games and that game was yesterday. Still a humanoid with an attack first, an undead dot, damage reduction, and humanoid racial healing is pretty decent. Most people only run with one humanoid (Fiendish Imp or Anub) on their team thanks to the prevalence of undead pets, but the Sprout is decent.

H/H (1887/292/195), [pet]Spirit Crab[/pet] (Undead)
Moveset
[ability]Snap[/ability] (beast) --- [ability]Surge[/ability] (aquatic) --- [ability]Shell Shield[/ability]
**While not a pure power pet like those above, Discodoggy's number one friend deserves a mention as a great sweeper. The incredible undead racial plus high health and a shield give this pet longevity that can prove to be quite handy. Snap is nice against critters too.

And finally to be a thorough, I include the EmpCrab.
P/P (1481/357/211), [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] (Aquatic)
Moveset
[ability]Surge[/ability] (aquatic) --- [ability]Healing Wave[/ability] --- [ability]Shell Shield[/ability]
**With the highest Power at 357, the EmpCrab also has the most potent Surge. A great counter to undead and elementals, the heal+shield combo is excellent. Dislikes flyers.

There are other pets with attack first abilities, especially surge, but none of them come in P/P varieties which benefit the most from a first attack. Hope this is helpful for team building.