Fast Pet Leveling Spots

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Bikutanda
Pet Score:1960
Realm:Nazgrel-us
Fast Pet Leveling Spots

Post by Bikutanda » March 13th, 2015, 12:57 am

I know most pet battlers do a round of dailies to fast level pets.
However, I was looking to level several pets on the same day.
A guildie told me about the Veiled Stairs.
I used to take my baby pets to the Tavern in the Mists near the top of the Veiled Stair. This was handy, as all the wild pets are critters, and close by is a stable-master. I could level 2 low level pets, with a lvl 25 Kun-Lai Runt, swapping out the pets as needed.

A recent patch changed this. I just checked this, and it seems the rate of levelling up has changed a bit. It used to be 4 - 6 levels at a time, but its still a good spot.

I have been told another good spot is just SW of the temple, near Aki the Tamer. The wilds are all aquatic.

Any other good spots for quick pet levelling?

Erdinger
Pet Score:12848
BattleTag®:Goldhaar#2899
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Re: Fast Pet Leveling Spots

Post by Erdinger » March 13th, 2015, 3:42 am

Found Frostfire Ridge pretty good for levelling pets, but lvl 1's who aren't mechanical or magic might have a hard time surviving a hit.

The opponent teams are beast/critter/flying.

You can hit two birds with one stone by levelling an alt at the same time, and all battles count towards the garrison monument :)

Bring bandages :)

Happy levelling!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » March 13th, 2015, 6:44 am

Bikutanda wrote: A recent patch changed this. I just checked this, and it seems the rate of levelling up has changed a bit. It used to be 4 - 6 levels at a time, but its still a good spot.
As a note, nothing has changed recently with wild pet experience. Bear in mind the 4-6 levels at a time is only for certain pet levels. The pet experience curve is shaped like a hill, not a straight line. A lot more mathy details here: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

You might be thinking of the changes to Menagerie experience, which did happen recently, but they didn't affect wild pet experience at all.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Bikutanda

Post by Bikutanda » March 13th, 2015, 11:35 am

Thanks for the tips!
I will revisit the Veiled Stir spot.

I took my lowbie hunter into Feralas looking for the Emerald Whelpling and/or Sprite to drop. Seems with the drop rate, my hunter may as well make a camp there, heh.

Kasema
Pet Score:3347
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Kasema » March 13th, 2015, 3:58 pm

On the coast north of the Temple of Karabor there are many Moonshell Crabs. I use an Emerald Proto-Whelp and an Ashwing Moth as my leveling team (Alpha Strike/Cocoon Strike/Moth Dust).

Nynjafox
Top Rater
Pet Score:2446
BattleTag®:Nynjafox#1485
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Nynjafox » March 14th, 2015, 5:09 am

I've always had good luck by the Aki spot you mentioned. Many of the wilds cast a heal on turn one so it is good for those lvl 1 pets. Plus it's really close to a stable master.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » March 16th, 2015, 9:25 am

I'm finding the best use of pet treats isn't from flying from tamer to tamer but at some heavily populated pet areas where one can speedkill pets for quick leveling.

I was helping a friend find a baby ape so I was camping out on that island while waiting for rain. While waiting there weren't any apes but plenty of craps around level 9-10. So I popped out a pet treat and in that hour I boosted all my level 1-4 rare/common pets up to level 5-6 in less than an hour. Most took about 1-2 kills and I still had time left to start boosting up level 5 pets to level 7.

I did the same thing with Dragonbone Hatchlings over in Northend.

This flying from tamer to tamer is just for the birds. Sure if all my pets were at level 15-17 and above it would make sense but I still have a slew of stuff under level 15. So for now I'm going to power-level in some of these great areas and get them boosted up in groups.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 16th, 2015, 10:27 am

Just keep in mind that Tamers in MoP and WoD give 5x the EXP of a level 25 wild pet battle (6x in the case of Ashlei). Since all 17 of them can be done in an hour with a good stable of pets (and hearth set smartly), that's the equivalent of 86 level 25 wild pet battles per hour (16*5 + 6), or 42ish seconds per battle. That's difficult to pull off with wild pet battles and if you are fighting any wild pets less than level 25, then it goes even more in favor of Tamers (the math isn't linear at this point, so hard to show a generic comparison).

Also bear in mind that the tamer "sweet spot" for levelling is when your pets are closest to levels 10 and 11. They get the most EXP they are going to get at those two levels and any levels above or below those two levels get progressively worse EXP.

Now if you are looking for player EXP, then wild pet battles are better, but for pet EXP and if you have some good teams (see the 5.4 guide in our forum guides section), tamers are hands down the best bang for your buck, at least for the first hour.

Rafein
Pet Score:1740
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Rafein » March 17th, 2015, 11:57 pm

Heh, in Garrison, with level stones

I miss my old leveling area around Aki the chosen. All those striders that pumped or slept 1st round made leveling easy.

Niaabi
Top Rater

Post by Niaabi » March 18th, 2015, 8:20 am

Rafein wrote:Heh, in Garrison, with level stones

I miss my old leveling area around Aki the chosen. All those striders that pumped or slept 1st round made leveling easy.
Sounds like a good area to level, is it not there anymore?

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 18th, 2015, 12:26 pm

So Frostfire Ridge is awesome..I'm done leveling pets...so I'm leveling an alt toon

So note- this team is for toon leveling not pet leveling...my apologies to the OP
------
Here's the team for speed freaks interested in getting the 2k Draenor battles Pet Monument~ 'speed' grind

Powerlevel Gems:
Murkalot-Righteous inspiration to..
Blackfuse bombling (p/p)- Armageddon
Imperial eagle chick (p/p)- Thrash to finish

This team takes 33-37 seconds per win...I had a double back line crit once-19 seconds and done !

If you take other Armageddon pets(sunblade microsentry) it reduces bandages but you need to switch in and out...you could always buy 2 more blackfuse bombers but they are not cheap...

Note that the Eagle is virtually untouched and murkalot is unharmed
-------
Warning...your garrison will be low on followers this way once at lvl 100.. but its an alt garrison after all

Note:
No darkmoon faire xp buff
9-10.6k toon xp per battle (pets lvl 23-25)
No carry pet here

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 18th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Another speedy pet for the Icespine Hatchling packs is the Rotten Helper:
Booby Trapped Present
Greench's gift (usually kills white/grey quality, but a weak club should finish off a green and two clubs for a rare).

Club the 2nd usually once to kill it (booby trapped presents weakened it significantly). Occasionally takes two Clubs

At this point, I bring a decoy pet to for low level carries or whatever is fun if my carries are high enough to take a hit.

Bikutanda

Post by Bikutanda » March 19th, 2015, 4:38 am

Rafein wrote:Heh, in Garrison, with level stones

I did a an hour or so in this area, it is still good for levelling several pets. (Aki the Chosen, Grand Master Pet Tamer, Vale of Eternal Blossom. 31.2 74.2 for TomTom)