WoD Pet battle strategies - common/easy to get pets ONLY

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us
WoD Pet battle strategies - common/easy to get pets ONLY

Post by Abbotta » February 23rd, 2015, 8:49 am

I'd love to hear your suggestion on WoD Pet Tamer Strategies for any of the 6 Pet Tamers (let's keep it simple, no garrisons) that require you only use commonly found wild pets, easy to obtain pet drops or pets you could find for very cheap in the AH.

Here's the reason for the topic, I'm finding more people who have had some interest in Pet Battles and in my guild they know I'm a somehow pet battle 'expert' (I'm not an expert in general, just probably know a bit more than others).

But I know as a new person I would go to the websites for strategies and nothing was more frustrating then seeing setups that would be like 'I used a My Lil Rag, Darkmoon Rabbit and Murkalot for kill this pet tamer'. Great, that person could use such a high end combo to kill it but what about the rest of us.

I think for more people to be interested in pet battles it would be helpful to know they could kill just about any Pet Tamer with everyday pets that could be found in the game. And new collectors would lose interest if to get to the next levels it would require them to fork out alot of gold for high end expensive pets from the AH, farm for world drop pets that have a 1 in 803534 chance of dropping or have to spend real money to get pet store pets.

So post your strategy here for WoD Strategies using these types of pets:
* Pets found in the Wild (and we'll say all pets including harder to get ones like the Minny)
* Pets that drop easily - no 1 in a some exorbitantly high count to get it like some of those Whelps.
* Pets that could be purchased for cheap either from a vendor (class pets) or AH
* No Seasonal Pets unless they happen to sell cheap on AH. It would be nice to use a Creepy Crate but you only get that once a year and AH it's pretty expensive.

So an example would be for me is Taralune, the Tarador tamer
* Open with Arcane Eye (2,2,2) - Just ignore the fact that you will get stunned first round.
* Bring in Level pet around level 12-15, preferably with one spell strong against flying - pretty common
* Nexus Whelpling - (2,2,2).
I always bring the level pet in after the Eye dies because the Eye and Whelping can wipe this tamer out on their own without a third (which is how I did the Plushie for this tamer).

BTW, I'm going to suggest avoiding the Unborn Val'kyr. Sure you can catch it in the wild but it is so frustrating. I usually send people Dalarian for a Ghostly Skull for something that can do some of the Valk's skills.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: WoD Pet battle strategies - common/easy to get pets ONLY

Post by Jerebear » February 23rd, 2015, 11:21 am

Here are my strats for Ashlei, Gargra, and Cymre using easy pets:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 40#p107535

They are breed specific in a lot of cases, but all wild or easy to get pets.

I have one for Tarr as well, but it involves the fossilized hatchling, which I'm not sure fits your criteria. On that note, your criteria is fairly subjective. Cheap and easy pets to obtain via the AH varies fairly wildly between servers.
Last edited by Jerebear on February 23rd, 2015, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » February 23rd, 2015, 12:52 pm

I haven't posted enough to post the actual link, but if you google "All Draenor tamers with only these 2 pets!" that guide started me on the WoD trainers.

I came back for WoD and luckily had a sprite darter from the now defunct feralas quest, but you can easily substitute an s/s nether faerie dragon. I would stray away from their strat for Cymre as it isn't very consistent, but all the other ones are solid and a good way to 2-pet WoD dailies with only two pets for someone starting out to level their lowbie pets and gain pet charms.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 23rd, 2015, 2:22 pm

I haven't actually done any of the new WoD trainers so I can't offer any suggestions there but I will say that the more difficult part of what you are asking for might actually be defining "Common", "Easy to get" and "Cheap" as opposed to coming up with the actual teams. After all, nothing is easier to get than a pet you already have. Cheap can also be vastly different depending on what the person has to spend and what their servers economy is like.

I'm sure that there are some wild pets where it would be easy to get a consensus that they aren't easy to get, such as the Unborn Val'kyr, but there are also a number of pets where it won't be as easy to say. For example is a Flayer hatchling easy to get or not? On the one hand I'd say no as there are a decent amount of spawn points to get you one. On the other hand it's a pet where breed can be very important as you probably want to be faster than your opponent. Since it comes in all possible breeds getting a rare s/s in the wild is not particularly easy. If you have a stone to use getting a S/S breed of any rarity and then upgrading it shouldn't be bad but that isn't necessarily the easiest thing in the world for someone new to pet battling. Granted you can now buy an upgrade stone after only a couple days even if you can only beat one or two tamers initially.

This was the kind of thing I dealt with when writing my CT guide below. For my guide I ended up using a Fel Flame which I felt was kinda a middle rarity wild pet. It certainly wasn't an Unborn Val'kyr but it also wasn't exactly common either and was pretty spread out in the zone. I didn't really want to use it but in the end I couldn't find any replacement pet with good dragonkin attacks that wasn't a dragonkin that I felt was any easier to get. An MPD is a great replacement but it has to be bought and probably stoned which is why I didn't want to use it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WRF ... sp=sharing

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » February 23rd, 2015, 3:00 pm

For anyone whose new to WOW pet battling.

The no. 1 pet I will suggest them to buy from the AH is the darkmoon zeppelin. No other pet can come close to the usage of this pet for leveling purpose and overall tamer battles.

Secondly, buy a spring rabbit is very helpful too. Its not about how powerful this pet will be : its about helping the player to understand lots of the basics and mechanic about pet battling, both in PVE and PVP. The pet is at 357 speed and with dodge and multi hit, there is a lot a player can learn by playing this pet.

Just go to AH to buy a pair of water spirit and choomie will not help the player at all.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » February 23rd, 2015, 5:35 pm

3wd wrote:For anyone whose new to WOW pet battling.

The no. 1 pet I will suggest them to buy from the AH is the darkmoon zeppelin. No other pet can come close to the usage of this pet for leveling purpose and overall tamer battles.

Secondly, buy a spring rabbit is very helpful too. Its not about how powerful this pet will be : its about helping the player to understand lots of the basics and mechanic about pet battling, both in PVE and PVP. The pet is at 357 speed and with dodge and multi hit, there is a lot a player can learn by playing this pet.

Just go to AH to buy a pair of water spirit and choomie will not help the player at all.
See I would pick the Anubisath Idol as my pet recommendation for anyone investing on a top tier pet on the Auction House, with the second choice being a Chrominius.

It's funny because I rarely use my Idol anymore (and hardly use my tonk) but there is a reason the Idol is ranked #1 - it is the most versitile pet out there and when my selection of level 25 pets was slim, I was using my Idol up against everything even when it was only level 16. I even had a guildie who is just started out a few weeks ago and had slim pickings on level 25 pets. I told her to buy me a level 1 Idol on the AH and I'd swap her with my 25. She used that Idol for everything including most tamers and I re-leveled my Idol in about 2 hours.

Wepauwet
Pet Score:10336
Realm:Muradin-us

Post by Wepauwet » February 24th, 2015, 12:04 am

One of the best "go to" pets in early leveling is the White Kitten (or any cat... I happen to like the White Kitten.) They're cheap to purchase (Alliance side) and Beasts are one of the best early choices. Horde side, I would go with a Snake.

Other favorites are goodole Cogblade Raptor, the often ignored Winter Reindeer (a great 'medic' for those times when your heal is on cooldown and there's no close stable master), Lost of lorderon, any owl (or other bird) from a vendor, and any holiday pet as a basic starter set. Iron Starlette is another favorite.

I actually love all of 'em, but when telling guildies what to level first, I suggest a "first three" of cat, bird, and mechanical.

And if they've got Winter's Little Helper around? She's surprisingly strong, too.