Where Do You Stand?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us
Where Do You Stand?

Post by Noxiish » February 8th, 2015, 6:27 pm

This is entirely just out of personal curiosity, having noticed my little OCD-esque standard earlier today during the Draenor tamer circuit.

Where do you put the camera view in a pet battle? Usually, the auto view is behind the you in different places depending on the layout of the environment at the time but sometimes, the battle starts and the view is from the other trainers perspective. Drives me nuts! For whatever reason, I have to have the camera above my toon's right shoulder. High enough to see the entire battle, but not like a 'view from above' type perspective either.

I don't have OCD and am not even particularly focused towards detail, and can often get a few rounds into a battle without noticing the camera angle. But once I notice, I haaave to change the camera or the entire battle just feels weird or really 'off' somehow. Even on Ashlei, who you can solo with a Mecha Dragonling and 2 lvl 1's, I feel like I don't recognize it and almost get weirded out (in a very minor, obviously-we're-dealing-with-pixels type of sense ;P ). Absolutely no logic reasoning behind it at all.

Anyone else do this? Feel free to tell me I'm crazy, you wouldn't be wrong (: Just curious to see if anyone does anything similar, whether or not it actually affects how you battle in any way.

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Re: Where Do You Stand?

Post by Roisen » February 8th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Yes. Always have to rotate it or it messes me up. Always.
And sometimes I end up going "why is that bird casting elemental abilities did they change it?" and THEN I realize. But the default thought always seems to be that for whatever reason there was a stealth change to the pet that I didn't know about.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 8th, 2015, 6:51 pm

I always rotate the camera angle so that my toon and pets are standing at the left side, and the opposing pets are on the right, because your team lineup, buffs and debuffs are on the left side on the top of the default UI.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » February 8th, 2015, 7:41 pm

i also always rotate the camera so my toon and pets are on the left hand side, somehow it seems more natural, like having the best seats at the football :D

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 8th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Peanutty wrote:I always rotate the camera angle so that my toon and pets are standing at the left side, and the opposing pets are on the right, because your team lineup, buffs and debuffs are on the left side on the top of the default UI.
Same here. If i don't notice right way and start fighting i'll start wondering why i have the wrong pet in or why they are using the wrong ability. lol.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » February 8th, 2015, 11:39 pm

I definitely always reset the camera so that my toon and team are on the left, to match the default UI. I am also very used to whichever add on puts the opponent's spells at the bottom of the screen and went bananas when I couldn't remember what it was when I redid my UI/add ons.
mykro9#1585

Aurae
Top Rater
Pet Score:10919
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Aurae » February 9th, 2015, 12:37 am

I usually just rotate my camera so I have a side view, angling just a little bit down. Most often my toon/team ends up on the right hand side.

Sometimes I'll leave it alone just to see how long I can stand it before it drives me nuts enough to switch it. :P

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 9th, 2015, 2:25 am

Peanutty wrote:I always rotate the camera angle so that my toon and pets are standing at the left side, and the opposing pets are on the right, because your team lineup, buffs and debuffs are on the left side on the top of the default UI.
^^ This

Exactly how battles are "supposed" to be done ;-)

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » February 9th, 2015, 5:18 am

MUST BE ON LEFT!!!
I cant stand when a fight start and Im on the right side, and not understanding why everything feels off.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » February 9th, 2015, 10:36 am

Topaz wrote:MUST BE ON LEFT!!!
I cant stand when a fight start and Im on the right side, and not understanding why everything feels off.

Ok I thought I was the only overly OCD crazy who had to make sure I was setup so I was on the left of the screen else I felt something was wrong with the game!

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » February 9th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Unless I'm in the garrison, I also rotate so that my team is on the left and the opponent is on the right. In the garrison, I angle it directly behind my toon, looking just over his head

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » February 9th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Jazeel wrote:i also always rotate the camera so my toon and pets are on the left hand side, somehow it seems more natural, like having the best seats at the football :D
Same!
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » February 9th, 2015, 4:28 pm

I always line up the camera on the side... with my team under the UI that represents them and the opposing team under that part that represents them.

This places my team on the left side of the screen. I have seen videos where the camera angle was reverse of that and it drives me bonkers because it looks as if the wrong pet is using an ability.

Js5563
Pet Score:3254
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Js5563 » February 9th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Jazeel wrote:i also always rotate the camera so my toon and pets are on the left hand side, somehow it seems more natural, like having the best seats at the football :D
This. It is just like Pokemon!

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » February 11th, 2015, 7:47 am

I have to rotate the camera so that my team is on the left and the opposing team is on the right to match up to the UI or it messes me up. I have even tried doing it the other way just for the challenge but I find I end up missing a turn or CD because I look at the HP bar wrong. It is silly, but I have to line up the teams. I have played with different views when I get bored and it just bugs me to see it any other way than from the side.

Peppercat
MVP
Pet Score:10136
Realm:Duskwood-us

Post by Peppercat » February 11th, 2015, 9:55 am

Yup, gotta have the view where the pets are under their own health bars. Just doesn't feel right any other way. I wish that was the default. I also wish we could turn off their name plates during battle. I know who everyone is :)

Razielix
MVP
Pet Score:10583
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Razielix » February 12th, 2015, 6:01 am

I don't mind either way, as long as it's side on (top/front view actually does throw me off a bit).

Though if I was to pick a side, I'll be the odd one out and say I do feel slightly more comfortable having my pets on the right of the screen.

Not sure why, maybe it makes it feel more like the older Final Fantasy's that I grew up with that had the team fixed to the right of the screen lol
"Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw--a better throw--against one's destiny... What was a king to do?" - Kain

Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Noxiish » February 12th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Js5563 wrote:This. It is just like Pokemon!
That's why! You've solved my weirdness. ( Kinda ;D ) I honestly couldn't place why that set up felt right, Pokemon is dead on.
Razielix wrote:Though if I was to pick a side, I'll be the odd one out and say I do feel slightly more comfortable having my pets on the right of the screen.

Not sure why, maybe it makes it feel more like the older Final Fantasy's that I grew up with that had the team fixed to the right of the screen lol
Kinda cool to see how the games you play as kids can alter how we react later on. Not trying to get all psychological with it at all, but its kinda interesting to see.