What Quintessence strategy do you use?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Valianya
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Arathor-us
What Quintessence strategy do you use?

Post by Valianya » January 30th, 2015, 9:47 am

Quintessence of Light is up today.

I was wondering if anyone has a two-pet carry strategy? Since 6.1 draws closer, and Menagerie daily XP is being nerfed, I'm hoping to get a number of pets leveled up in the time I have remaining. At the very least, I want to get enough pets leveled up that I can reliably do the dailies every day.

I'd also like to hear about any three pet strategies you might use as well?

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Re: What Quintessence strategy do you use?

Post by Echinacea » January 30th, 2015, 10:13 am

undead valk > doom > haunt
pandaren water spirit > geyser > whirlpool
chrominus > howl > surge of power

its like the seahawks taking on a high school team :p

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » January 30th, 2015, 10:23 am

I use the same strategy as Echinacea does. Just gotta time it carefully so that Doom goes off at the same time as geyser and whirlpool, you don't even end up needing surge of power. The trick is to cast unholy ascension when you are about to die, then on your undead bonus round cast doom, then howl bomb as normal.

I don't think it's worth leveling pets on a one pet boss, not a lot of exp there.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 30th, 2015, 10:59 am

Echinacea wrote:undead valk > doom > haunt

Yeah but I heard this time someone 'deflated' Quintessence a bit so it might be just a tad bit harder to use the Pet Bomb against it. :lol:

(ok that was my bad New England Patriot Joke of the Day. Tips welcomed - accepting gold, darkmoon rabbits and career advice since obviously my joke telling career isn't going to allow me to retire early!)

(Oh I call the 'Pet Bomb' when you use the Unborn/PWS/Chrommy combo - essentially you are just bombing the heck out of the pet to get it done).

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » January 30th, 2015, 11:28 am

Echinacea wrote:undead valk > doom > haunt

Hah! Yes, that's what I use, too. Good ol' Howlbomb Squad.

Monkeykibble
Pet Score:2069
Realm:Dark Iron-us

Post by Monkeykibble » January 30th, 2015, 11:42 am

Ghostly Skull with Ghost Bite -> Unholy Ascension -> Pandaren Water Spirit -> Geyser -> Whirlpool -> Swap to Chrominius -> Howl -> Surge of Power

Thats what I used :)

Vetteranger
Top Rater
Pet Score:4846
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vetteranger » January 30th, 2015, 11:59 am

The gist of the above is the best I have too. Unfortunately its success is at the mercy of whether Q gets 3 procs on its attack twice in a row against either the Water Spirit or Chrominius. At times I've had to do the battle a fifth time before getting a reasonable number of procs from Q. Of all the garrison battles which have some annoying properties, this one is the most annoying to me.

Taerie
Pet Score:4641
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Taerie » January 30th, 2015, 12:24 pm

I also use the howl bomb with a sort of modified opening that I think I saw on wowhead. Shadow slash‚ shadow slash‚ pass‚ ascension‚ curse and then proceed as usual. Worked 6/6 times this morning ^^

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » January 30th, 2015, 1:23 pm

That said, if she gets crit happy or lands a bunch of 3 hit attacks instead of 2, I have to reset because water spirit or Chrom die before getting their attacks off. This fight is a pain.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 30th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Monkeykibble wrote:Ghostly Skull with Ghost Bite -> Unholy Ascension -> Pandaren Water Spirit -> Geyser -> Whirlpool -> Swap to Chrominius -> Howl -> Surge of Power

Thats what I used :)
I need to level my Ghostly Skull this weekend. That Skull is a nice alternative for folks who can't find an Unborn Valk who need the Howl Bomb. I know some guildies have been asking me about killing off the Garrison pests and I don't mind loaning my Chrommy/PWS but can't loan a wild pet (the Unborn). I could easily get my skull up to 25 this weekend and have that as an alternative.

I know how frustrating it was in the beginning to do these hardcore tamers and not have the high end pets to kill them so it's nice to have available options that work for pet collectors of all levels.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 30th, 2015, 3:00 pm

It was in another thread on this topic, and I'm throwing this in here while at work so I cannot check my own team (note: this fight isn't worth doing for the XP, you're better off doing wild pet battles, if I remember Jerebear's numbers correctly):

Open with [pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet] > Decoy > Explode
Bring in [pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet] (because the decoy is up you get a free turn w/o getting smacked) > Geyser > Whirlpool
Swap in [pet]Chrominius[/pet] > Howl > Surge of Power

It's not perfect because crit-happy triple-doubles kill Chrominius, but at least you only have to worry about it on Chrominius and not on the PWS as well (which in theory improves your odds). And you can help your guildmates out because all 3 of the pets are tradeable.

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » January 30th, 2015, 3:39 pm

In the PTR i just beat it with:

Green Mr. Chilly, Bronze Whelpling and Pandaren Earth spirit ... the only pets, i had at 25 lol.
Nurfed for the sake of casualness.

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » January 30th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Abbotta wrote: Yeah but I heard this time someone 'deflated' Quintessence a bit so it might be just a tad bit harder to use the Pet Bomb against it. :lol:
totally not wow related but do a youtube search for "deflated balls ACDC" and theres a hilarious parody

Valianya
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Valianya » January 30th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Beast_mast0r wrote:In the PTR i just beat it with:

Green Mr. Chilly, Bronze Whelpling and Pandaren Earth spirit ... the only pets, i had at 25 lol.

So is the damage/stats/etc of the menagerie daily pets you fight also nerfed along with the XP? I haven't been on the PTR so I'm not sure just how they reduced difficulty. And are the other WoD trainer battles in each zone also nerfed similarly?

Razielix
MVP
Pet Score:10583
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Razielix » January 30th, 2015, 7:10 pm

I tried a few different options as I, like some, didn't want to just faceroll with Howl Bomb. Some won, most didn't, and those that did win did not do so comfortably. Unfortunately nothing else seems gets across the line as reliably as the Howl Bomb combo does.

However, there was one team comp that won semi-often with, and it was:
[pet]Unborn Valkyr[/pet]
[pet]Nether Faerie Dragon[/pet]
[pet]Nexus Whelpling[/pet]

It's basically start with Valk, pot shot with Shadow Shock, then Curse of Doom, and Unholy Ascension in immortal turn. Bring out Nether and Life Exchange, and pepper with Arcane Blast. If it lives when Nether goes down, bring out Nexus and hit with Arcane Storm>Mana Surge and hope it doesn't pull of a Cauterize while you're smacking it.

Not a bad success rate, however it is insanely reliant on not getting hit 3 times with Quills. Like, hardly at all. And we all know how fun RNG is.. Well at least for me it is not a friend lol.
"Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw--a better throw--against one's destiny... What was a king to do?" - Kain

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » January 31st, 2015, 10:43 am

Valianya wrote:
Beast_mast0r wrote:In the PTR i just beat it with:

So is the damage/stats/etc of the menagerie daily pets you fight also nerfed along with the XP? I haven't been on the PTR so I'm not sure just how they reduced difficulty. And are the other WoD trainer battles in each zone also nerfed similarly?
It is no longer legendary(the quintessence), it just a rare(power is around 270). I haven't tried going out of my garrison yet, there is a new guy that stands near the menagerie giving you a daily quest eg "Critters of Draenor", with three rare frostfur rats.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » February 1st, 2015, 7:04 am

Round 1: Call Lightning (doesn't matter which pet you use for this)
Round 2: Doesn't matter. Your pet will die this round (if not, swap for round 3)
Round 3: Black Claw (Any Zandalari will do)
Round 4: Hunting party (it will die after this)
Round 5: Stampede from fast rabbit (I use Tolai Hare pup)
Round 6: Win

This has never failed me yet.