Must have beast pets?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cheeser
Pet Score:1464
Realm:Talnivarr-eu
Must have beast pets?

Post by Cheeser » December 31st, 2014, 3:56 pm

Hey, so I've noticed I have neglected beast pets for quite some time, only a couple of good 25s, feline familiar and molten hatchling, the rest are somewhat rubish.
So I was wondering if you guys could reccomend any good beast pets?
Been looking a bit myself and found:
-Xu-fu
-Frostwolf pup
-Zao
Not really sure what else might be worth leveling for battles (PvE or PvP), any suggestions are appreciated!

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Must have beast pets?

Post by Luciandk » December 31st, 2014, 4:17 pm

What makes you think the frostwolf pup a musthave? Im curious

[pet]Feline Familiar[/pet] is a popular beast. Hits hard and have a shield move and a magic attack. quite unusual for a beast.
The direhorns is also quite strong and hated, even if they have been significantly nerfed.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 31st, 2014, 6:27 pm

Two beasts that I find hugely useful that aren't on your list is the Zandalari Anklerender and Kneebitter. Black Claw + Hunting Party is just a great combo.

Cheeser

Post by Cheeser » December 31st, 2014, 6:39 pm

I guess frostwolf pup ain't really must have, but he looked interesting :p
The zandalaris do indeed look interesting! thanks.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 31st, 2014, 6:59 pm

Spiders aren't bad for grinding on wild critters. Brittle Web, Leech Life, Strike, Leech Life, repeat.

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » January 1st, 2015, 7:00 pm

Cheeser wrote: So I was wondering if you guys could reccomend any good beast pets?
Many good beast pets with unique abilities can be used different ways. What I may say:
- fat pets with [ability]Trample[/ability]. This ability does 10% hp, so sometime you just need 10 rounds to finish fat boss. For example, for abomination daily boss in garrison, who has dmg absorb, I just faceroll him using pets with trample. So, some clefthoof runt with 1900 hp may be realy usefull.
- direhorns, http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/beast/direhorns/ . They were so op in pvp before nerf, but still usefull in pve.
- zandalari raptors. I personaly don't like them, but still agree, what they are great for burst dmg teams.
- [pet]warpstalker hatchling[/pet], my favorite lizard, with unique abilities set, including always first magic atack.
- [pet]death adder hatchling[/pet], if you didn't lvl it yet.
- [pet]Kovok[/pet], nice looking and povefull pet even after nerf.
- spiders, and, for sure, [pet]crystal spider[/pet]. Stun+web+leech may be very usefull in some fights.

Vipers
Pet Score:3725
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Vipers » January 1st, 2015, 7:50 pm

Death Adder S/S
Zandalari Anklerender P/P

As you already have xu-fu I wouldn't recommend anything else as a "must have", maybe spiders? Yeah, get a couple of spiders to 25. Spiders are good for ya.

Feline Familiar is a fancy pet if you need to grind wilds for whatever reason, but his utility is extremely limited to that, he's pretty much useless in any other scenario. Keep that in mind.
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

Cheeser

Post by Cheeser » January 1st, 2015, 11:55 pm

Thanks all, already have feline familiar and molten hatchling, guess it would be ncie with another spider.
Got a direhorn runt, and some zandalari raptors as well.
Need to work on getting xu-fu though, just missed some pets to complete the scenario.
I'll have a look at the rest of the stuff mentioned, looks good :)

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » January 2nd, 2015, 8:59 am

It's good to have spiders of P/P and S/S breed. I've seen guides specifying both, or something like >289 speed. I'm actually lacking in both departments since I haven't really leveled "normal" beasts yet. I've had to skip a couple of teams because of it :b

It's a personal thing, but for grinding wild critters I prefer Razzashi Hatchling greatly over the Zandalari raptors. It has 1400 health, 325 power and 260 speed. P/P Anklerender has 1237 hp, 341 power and 276 speed. It's the difference in health that makes Razzashi Hatchling a lot more comfortable for grinding with the same abilities (Bite, Leap, Devour). But of course, Anklerender is a lot more useful against tamers with its Black Claw + Hunting Party.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 2nd, 2015, 2:22 pm

Zandalari raptors, yes! Can't recommend them enough, they make many of the master tamer and timeless isle battles trivial.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 2nd, 2015, 3:11 pm

I can't believe there has been no love for the [pet]Alpine Foxling [/pet]if only for it's [ability]Dazzling Dance[/ability] ability. I've found the Foxling a nice add to a party battle when I have some slow pets I need to speed up for the fight. I'll do a [ability]Dazzling Dance[/ability] and [ability]Howl [/ability]move and then swap out to another pet for a huge hit.

I have to think why Beasts don't get as much love is because there are other great critter killers out there like the Chrominius and Kun-Lai Runt - those two aren't easts (Dragonkin and Humanoid) but both have much bigger hits against critters.

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » January 2nd, 2015, 3:16 pm

I'm a big Spider fan - P/P especially. Brittle Webbing + Spidering Swarm can do a bucketload of damage. The foxes have come in handy quite a bit in WoD, I've found, especially with some of the Awfully Big Adventure strats. Baby Ape & Darkmoon Monkey are pretty nifty too - they pack a lot of punch! Also, while not strictly Beast pets, a Flayer Youngling using its beast abilities is a killer against critters. Grubs can be great too.

Cheeser

Post by Cheeser » January 3rd, 2015, 5:57 am

Thanks all, this was great.
Much better to have a post where people actualy give a reason for why they prefere a certain pet instead of just looking at a list of top 10 beasts.
I can safely say my beast tab looks much betetr now (atleast as soon as I've leveled them all)
Kinda tempted to make a critter thread too :p

Azure30
Pet Score:2702
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Azure30 » January 4th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Surprised nobody has said [pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] yet

[pet]Death Adder Hatchling[/pet] (S/S or dont bother)
[pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet]
[pet]Chrominius[/pet]
[pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet]

[pet]Zandalari Anklerender[/pet]
[pet]Zandalari Kneebiter[/pet]
[pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet]
[pet]Darkmoon Tonk[/pet]
Can't really go wrong with a vast majority of mechanical pets for that matter, same with undead - the extra turn racial is pretty sweet.

There are others, like say... [pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] but the ones listed above are pretty easy to acquire and more often than not are the first pets people go to when taking on new challenges. You can always expect to see one or multiple of these pets used in several strategies past, present, AND future.

EDIT: Completely missed the 'Beast' part. Zandalari Raptors, then. [pet]Molten Hatchling[/pet] as well as other spiders can be useful too. It's a store-bought pet, but [pet]Alterac Brew-Pup[/pet] is quite good as well, imo.
Last edited by Azure30 on January 4th, 2015, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 4th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Azure30 wrote:Surprised nobody has said [pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] yet
Um... the OP was asking about beast pets. Most of your listed pets aren't beasts, though they are all "beastly" and good for various situations. :)

Azure30
Pet Score:2702
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Azure30 » January 4th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Azure30 wrote:Surprised nobody has said [pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] yet
Um... the OP was asking about beast pets. Most of your listed pets aren't beasts, though they are all "beastly" and good for various situations. :)
Yep just noticed that. Pay me no mind~