Quintessence of Light - any ideas?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us
Re: Quintessence of Light - any ideas?

Post by Jerebear » December 17th, 2014, 8:09 am

Rendigar wrote:Actually several things can go wrong with the valk/water spirit/chrominius strat - all happened to me before my 4 wins yesterday (so the RNG is annoyingly present):

1. Valk dies before casting unholy ascension, and thus gets an undead round - do NOT attack, as anything that causes Quintessence to cast cauterize will push her health outside the range of Chrominius' burst, and she will recover from the stun before he recovers. Since she's faster she will then kill both Chrom and the PWS before they can take off that last sliver of health. Note: Doom alone does not do enough damage to cause her to cast cauterize.

2. Water spirit can be killed by 2 sets of triple hits (they do 270 each x 6 = 1620 and the PWS has only 1546 health)

3. Chrominius can be killed by 2 sets of triple hits with 1 of them being a crit (he has 1644 health)

As long as none of the above things occurs, it's a slam dunk. But it took me 7 fights to beat her 4 times as a result of the above things all occuring to me on the same day. If you only have to do this fight once a day when it's up, then you'll probably rarely have to worry (and with free heals, it's not like it's a strain, but garrisons are eating up 2 hours a day now...)
As a note, if you use an H/H valk and follow the below sequence exactly, then #1 and #2 are less of an issue. Reasoning:
R1: Doom
R2: Unholy Ascension
The H/H valk has enough HP to survive 2 rounds of triple hits. If she hits 3x twice and a couple of them are crits, then yes it can die. However, as a counter thought, very few strats out there are actually crit safe. This setup would take more than one crit.

R3: Geyser
R4: Whirlpool

Here the water spririt only gets attacked on R4. The reason is Quintessence of LIght always casts Heat Up on Round 3. The water spirit should never never die even if all 3 hits are crits.

R5: Switch to Chrominius
R6: Howl
R7: Surge of Power

One crit will kill Chrominius if there are two sets of triple hits as you noted. This is the big weakness here.

Someone else suggested this, but if you use an explode pet with high enough health, then it's one round quicker and even safer than an H/H valk.

I use the Pet Bombling:
R1: Explode
R2: Geyser
R3: Whirlpool (Heat up round so no damage)
R4: Switch
R5: Howl
R6: Surge of Power

In this setup, neither the pet bombling nor the water spirit can die. They have too much health and cannot die from 3x crits, which is the max damage they will see.
Syer wrote: Edit: the advantage of this strategy is it doesn't matter what breed your Valkyr is, it will live long enough to curse and haunt.
Actually, the B/B is still susceptible to double triple crits in your strat. To survive that, you need 1621+ health. The B/B breed valk has less. You don't want your valk going into the undead round because it will push the water spirit out of the safe zone of R3, making it also susceptible to double triple crits. Additionally, if the valk goes into undead round, it cannot cast haunt anymore per changes late beta/early release. H/H is the only safe breed for this strat unless you unholy ascension on round 1, but I don't know if there is enough damage for that to work.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Blehbleh
Pet Score:831
Realm:Dragonmaw-eu

Post by Blehbleh » December 17th, 2014, 11:46 am

Quintessence wrote:Here's the team that I used. Tested it a few times, but I'm not 100% sure it's foolproof.
  • [pet]Infected Squirrel[/pet] (P/B 1,2,2 - H/P would work just as well, possibly better)
    [pet]Sprite Darter Hatchling[/pet] (2,2,1)
    [pet]Nether Faerie Dragon[/pet] (S/S 2,2,1 - unsure about other breeds)
    • Round 1: Diseased Bite
      Round 2: Creeping Fungus
      Round 3: Corpse Explosion
      Round 4: refresh Creeping Fungus
      Round 5: Squirrel dies so you get a free swap in; Sprite Darter Hatchling - Moonfire
      Round 6: Life Exchange
      Round 7+: Arcane Blast with last two pets until Quintessence of Light dies
Alternatively, there's always the "howl bomb" strategy (the one used for the Beasts of Fable NPCs).
This is the best tactic in my opinion. 1- The pets are much easier to get than the other tactic which is shown most of the time. 2- Worked for me from the first try with a level 20 squirrel and a Nether Faerie Dragon, without ever having to use my 3rd pet. Thanks for the tip.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 17th, 2014, 12:54 pm

It is worth noting, Jerebear, that the issues I pointed out are due to me having a B/B Unborn Val'kyr. Mostly I was just noting that it's a lot more RNG vulnerable than the poster I was replying to thinks. I like your idea of using an exploder - but using it you did not force a cauterize out of Quintessence? I haven't done enough testing, I had assumed (based on little evidence) that she prioritized heal over quills when she's taken over "x" damage - which is why Doom + Shadow Slash (due to the aforementioned death round) was a bad option. *adds to the list for the xmas vacation guide rewrite/update tasks*

Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Cyberninja » December 17th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I fought her about 50 million times with about 3 billion different pet combos...and my pets died a quick, horrible death each and every time :( HOWEVER...then I stumbled upon a 2-pet combo that took her DOWN.

Pet#1: Pandaren Water Spirit:
Geyser, then Whirlpool (Quint may kill you before you get off Whirlpool. No matter)
---Switch to---
Pet#2: Moon Moon (S/S)
Howl, then keep blasting her with Moonfang

She died and Moon Moon lived. I didn't even have to use my 3rd pet. To verify this I fought her with the same team a few more times. Only way she wins is if she hits the Pandaren Water Spirit with early criticals. If you are EXTREMELY lucky, you may get off Geyser and Whirlpool before she takes down the water spirit.

Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Beave » December 17th, 2014, 1:59 pm

I like to try these battles on my own before looking up a strategy, and I was able to get a kill using a couple of Nexus Whelplings and a Sprite Darter, but I had a few crits in there and it was flaky. My approach was to open with life exchange, but that results in an almost immediate cauterize at which point she's casting cauterize off of cooldown the rest of the fight.

Yesterday was the 2nd time facing Quint, and I just went with the Zeppelin, Water Spirit, Chrominius approach mentioned here. The beauty of the exploding Zeppelin is that it doesn't do enough damage to force a cauterize. Whatever her preset threshhold is before she'll cast it, the Zeppelin gets her just above that. Then the WGHS bomb hits her and we're talking within 20hp of being just enough to finish her off.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 17th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Interesting... if I remember correctly an unbuffed explode from a zeppelin is 618 damage, which would leave her at just above 80% health so maybe that's her break point for the ability. That's assuming I remember her health as 3009 correctly, of course.

Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Beave » December 17th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Yeah, something like that. Life Exchange hits her harder, but she immediately heals. Explode she just shrugs off and keeps doing damage to you without healing.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 17th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Rendigar wrote:It is worth noting, Jerebear, that the issues I pointed out are due to me having a B/B Unborn Val'kyr. Mostly I was just noting that it's a lot more RNG vulnerable than the poster I was replying to thinks. I like your idea of using an exploder - but using it you did not force a cauterize out of Quintessence? I haven't done enough testing, I had assumed (based on little evidence) that she prioritized heal over quills when she's taken over "x" damage - which is why Doom + Shadow Slash (due to the aforementioned death round) was a bad option. *adds to the list for the xmas vacation guide rewrite/update tasks*
Someone else already got you the info you needed, but for completeness
I use a Pet Bombling which does 650 or 651 damage (I forget which offhand) with no cauterize heal.

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » December 17th, 2014, 6:24 pm

I thought I posted my strat for the bird here, but looks like not:

I came up with this like 2+ weeks ago when I first encountered this challenger. Now I just tested it like 20 times for the sake of science. It worked 19 times and 1 draw:

I was playing around with a faster bird with darkness and ended up using a crow (225 speed), tried spectral strike, but the skull couldn't handle it good enough. Therefore I resorted to Valkyr that had Unholy ascension as well.

The set up:

1: Unborn Val'kyr (HH): Shadow Shock, Curse of Doom, Unholy Ascension
2: Shimmershell Snail (HP): Ooze Touch, Acidic Goo, Dive ( or whatever since you are not going to use it)
3: Crow (SS): Alpha Strike, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike.

Open Val'kyr-> Shadow Shock -> Curse of Doom -> Shock till dead dead round-> Unholy ascension -> Snail-> Acidic goo-> Ooze Touch until goo expires-> REFRESH GOO (it's important to deny extra heal and the dmg from "Cauterize" and "Heat Up" respectively) -> More Touches -> refresh goo one last time -> dead snail-> Crow-> Call Darkness-> Nocturnal Strike (and MAYBE Alpha Strike is still need)-> GG.

The deal here is that the Curse of Doom will do full dmg (100%= 592), due to UA+ Goo debuffs. The goo will give a low last hit before cauterize and debuff it for touches and later for call darkness.

As mentioned initially, I tested this over 20 times, yielding 1 draw and rest wins.

I prepare my own strategies, no "Howl Bombs" or whatevers for me :D

Kandystryper
MVP
Pet Score:9027
BattleTag®:Squishy#1137
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kandystryper » December 31st, 2014, 7:30 am

I realize there are several strats posted in this thread, but I figured the more people share the more there is a chance someone that is having trouble due to not having certain pet combos or just plain lousy RNG luck might benefit from our experiences. I don't have celestial pets yet and have been very lazy leveling up my pets overall :oops:

I was pulling my hair out with this one the last 2x I had it as a daily (and even said *uh yea forget it* last week lol) but I was more determined today and it paid off finally - ended up feeling like it was a mini achievement :P

I tried about 7x give or take as I wasn't really counting the attempts, but the point is, if at first you don't succeed... curse, throw a pillow, take a shot of something strong and go back in with a rebel yell!

my pet trio: undead valk (b/b), gilnean raven (s/s), chrominius (h/h)
  • valk: shadow shock at least once (twice if you don't take as much dmg) then curse of doom 1x and then holy ascension

gilnean raven: (having s/s breed here helped a ton I cannot lie as I was able to go first - you can sub it out with crow s/s as they did in the above post) call darkness 1x then nocturnal strike then peck - I was able to do a 2nd round of call darkness and nocturnal strike which made all the difference before my raven died and the quintessence was very low on health even after a heal

chrom: howl and surge of power

/happy dance, kissed my husband, prayed I wouldn't have to face this daily for another week at least :mrgreen:

much luck to all of you out there <3

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 31st, 2014, 9:36 am

I can't figure this out, lol!

I've tried Ghostly Skull, PWS and Stitched Pup, Darkmoon Zep, PWS and Stitched Pup, I've tried a dozen other combos that I've forgotten, I just can't get this to work. I don't have a Valk, and my Chrom is still too low level. Same with my Sprite Darter.

Any thoughts? I just can't figure this one out.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 31st, 2014, 11:42 am

Darolyn wrote:I can't figure this out, lol!

I've tried Ghostly Skull, PWS and Stitched Pup, Darkmoon Zep, PWS and Stitched Pup, I've tried a dozen other combos that I've forgotten, I just can't get this to work. I don't have a Valk, and my Chrom is still too low level. Same with my Sprite Darter.

Any thoughts? I just can't figure this one out.
With the Stitched pup, it is going to be a much larger crap shoot. He doesn't have a big hitter like Surge of Power to follow Howl and finish off Quintessence while she is stunned, so it has to survive more rounds than Chrominius does. It helps that it is undead, but his health is low enough that it may not buy you extra rounds vs. Chrominius. Given that Quintessence can heal, using a stitched pup in place of Chrominius is much more taxing. Go level Chrominius. 6 tamer battles with the Safari hat should be enough or close to enough to do it.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » December 31st, 2014, 12:33 pm

That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to have Chrom leveled by the next time she comes around, I'm not going to have time today to do it.

Thanks for the info!

Daro
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Deeyz
Pet Score:3235
Realm:Mug'thol-us

Post by Deeyz » December 31st, 2014, 1:14 pm

You can substitute Chrominus with Moon Moon if you don't have him max level.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » December 31st, 2014, 2:09 pm

Darolyn wrote:Any thoughts? I just can't figure this one out.
I use the bomb method of killing it. The pets I use are DM Zep, Pandaran Water, and Chrom. Use decoy then explode your Zep. Switch to Water and use Geyser and Whirlpool. Switch to Chrom and do howl then his big attack. The decoy is a safeguard to keep your elemental alive and exploding the Zep is to get its HP down low enough so that Chrom's attack will finish him off.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » December 31st, 2014, 3:03 pm

So what this all boils down to is I should have leveled Chrom yesterday instead of my Celestial Dragon.

Got it.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind for the next time this comes around, don't think I'm going to get it done today.

Thanks!

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » December 31st, 2014, 3:24 pm

Darolyn, if you want I can trade you my level 25 Chrominus for yours, I will level it later. Then you can do the daily at least, let me know I should be on later tonight. :)
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Kandystryper
MVP
Pet Score:9027
BattleTag®:Squishy#1137
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kandystryper » January 1st, 2015, 8:22 am

for those that don't have unborn valkyr yet - add my btag as I will try to help out with the finding of this elusive yet useful pet and I do toast shout outs a few times each week when I do find one or will post in the pet trading forums if no one responds for those that need it

squishy#1137

Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Principa » January 16th, 2015, 11:04 am

I coasted through this guy the first time, but turns out that was pure RNG.

I originally used a beat up [pet]Nether Sprite[/pet], life exchanged (went in with ~1000 health to maximize the return on the exchange), then howl bomb ([pet]pandaren water spirit[/pet], [pet]chrominius[/pet])... but yesterday, the freaking thing had 60 health left and then healed to full. So heads up-- RNG might work for you on this, but it also really, really might not.

I still don't have a val'kyr (it's on my list)... BUT, the [pet]ghost skull[/pet] worked! And good idea re: the [pet]darkmoon zeppelin[/pet] too, just in case :) I was losing my MIND over this! Should have checked here sooner. Thanks guys!