Quintessence of Light - any ideas?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu
Re: Quintessence of Light - any ideas?

Post by Rioriel » January 16th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Had this today for the first time (how many different daily combinations are there?). Went for the standard Valk Howlbomb and it worked if the birdie didn't get a crit in. Will use Principa's tactic in future, seems solid :)

Kandystryper
MVP
Pet Score:9027
BattleTag®:Squishy#1137
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kandystryper » January 30th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Principa wrote:I still don't have a val'kyr (it's on my list)...

sent ya friend request - I can help you out on that if you still haven't had the luck :)

Presto
Top Rater
Pet Score:4076
BattleTag®:Presto#1944
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Presto » January 30th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Kandystryper wrote:for those that don't have unborn valkyr yet - add my btag as I will try to help out with the finding of this elusive yet useful pet and I do toast shout outs a few times each week when I do find one or will post in the pet trading forums if no one responds for those that need it

squishy#1137
Thanks SO VERY MUCH, [profile]Kandystryper[/profile], for you help getting a Valk for my 2nd account.

SUPER nice, patient and helpful collector. Saved me so much time! :D
Presto says, "Let's trade!!" :P (btag: Presto#1944)

Mrpogo
Pet Score:2408
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Mrpogo » January 31st, 2015, 1:13 am

I can use an Unborn too. :)

Add me mrpogo72#1940

Netlock
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Netlock » February 15th, 2015, 6:11 am

This combo works very well.

Valkyr: Shadow Slash, Doom, Unholy Ascention
Infected Squirrel: Stampede (you will die after this attack)
Darmoon Crow: Call of Darkness, Nocturnal Strike

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » February 15th, 2015, 9:43 am

Rincy wrote:I'm kinda stuck on this "boss" in my menagerie's Pet Battle Arena.
It is a flying type and deals elemental damage and does heal via cauterize.
I guess snails are good as they take less damage from elemental and have magixc type attacks that are stron against flying.
Sadly I only have scooter as lvl25 and my other snails are lower :(

Any ideas how to kill this firebird?
Get thee to Dread Waste now and find yourself a Rapana Whelk!! My Whelk is one of my favorite everyday pets and I use my whelk to kill those Pandaran Spirit Tamers - easy peasy stuff. Even named my 2 Whelks Lawrence Whelk and Larry Whelk Jr.

I also have a pair of Silkbead Snails from Talador but for some reason I prefer my Whelks.

Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Cyberninja » February 15th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Pandaren Water Spirit
1.Geyser
2.Whirlpool
3.Water Jet
Moon Moon (S/S breed)
4. Howl
5. Moon Fang (spam until Quintessance dies)

If PWS is still alive after Water Jet, make sure to switch to Moon Moon so that you can hit Howl right before Geyser/Whirlpool hit. This way they will hit for double damage and stun Quintessance.

I have only had to use my 3rd pet with this strategy ONCE so far. Every other time Quintessance has died before I get to the 3rd pet. The only thing that foils this strategy (as someone already mentioned) is if Quintessance hits for 3 strikes 2 turns in a row.

Sorry Quintessance...we love you but you gotta go down!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 15th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Cyberninja wrote:Pandaren Water Spirit
1.Geyser
2.Whirlpool
3.Water Jet
Moon Moon (S/S breed)
4. Howl

If PWS is still alive after Water Jet, make sure to switch to Moon Moon so that you can hit Howl right before Geyser/Whirlpool hit. This way they will hit for double damage and stun Quintessance.

I have only had to use my 3rd pet with this strategy ONCE so far. Every other time Quintessance has died before I get to the 3rd pet. The only thing that foils this strategy (as someone already mentioned) is if Quintessance hits for 3 strikes 2 turns in a row.

If PWS is still alive after Water Jet, you won't get Howl up in time. Geyser and Whirlpool go off on Round 4. If Moon Moon isn't out front by the end of Round 3, you won't be able to howl in time.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Cyberninja » February 15th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Jerebear wrote:
Cyberninja wrote:Pandaren Water Spirit
1.Geyser
2.Whirlpool
3.Water Jet
Moon Moon (S/S breed)
4. Howl

If PWS is still alive after Water Jet, you won't get Howl up in time. Geyser and Whirlpool go off on Round 4. If Moon Moon isn't out front by the end of Round 3, you won't be able to howl in time.
Maybe I got the number of turns incorrect. My point is to have Moon Moon out on the turn Geyser/Whirlpool go off and you will beat Quint. It works 99% of the time for me. And the bonus is you only have to use 2 pets

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » February 16th, 2015, 10:23 am

Abbotta wrote:
Rincy wrote:I'm kinda stuck on this "boss" in my menagerie's Pet Battle Arena.
It is a flying type and deals elemental damage and does heal via cauterize.
I guess snails are good as they take less damage from elemental and have magixc type attacks that are stron against flying.
Sadly I only have scooter as lvl25 and my other snails are lower :(

Any ideas how to kill this firebird?
Get thee to Dread Waste now and find yourself a Rapana Whelk!! My Whelk is one of my favorite everyday pets and I use my whelk to kill those Pandaran Spirit Tamers - easy peasy stuff. Even named my 2 Whelks Lawrence Whelk and Larry Whelk Jr.

I also have a pair of Silkbead Snails from Talador but for some reason I prefer my Whelks.
what breed of whelks do you use?

Shirin
Pet Score:2547
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Shirin » March 17th, 2015, 11:18 am

You need a beetle in first to cast apocalypse then swap it out and leave it on your back row until apocalypse fires.

I used ghostly skull and rapana whelk (dive, shell shield, ooze-heal, repeat) to survive out the apocalypse round count down. Done it a few times and it works each time. The aim is simply to survive and it's weak against aquatics.

Holyspz
Pet Score:1995
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Holyspz » March 17th, 2015, 12:36 pm

soloed with Scooter the Snail, Ooze Touch - Shell Shield - Headbutt

Strat, keep Shield up, Headbutt on cd, spam Ooze Touch

p.s. worked with a H/P Shimmershell Snail also

Vigoureux
Pet Score:1639
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Vigoureux » March 18th, 2015, 7:19 am

Shirin wrote:
Holyspz wrote:
This question was asked pre-nerf. All battles were a lot harder back then.
For those looking for a strategy post-nerf, [pet]Nether Faerie Dragon[/pet] [P/P] can solo it now.
Use [ability]Arcane Blast[/ability] twice, then [ability]Life Exchange[/ability], and finally finish it off with [ability]Moonfire[/ability].

Didiofuldum
Pet Score:10247
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Didiofuldum » October 12th, 2015, 10:22 am

Kinda late to the party here but I used Arcane Eye and Lesser Voidcaller. I had a Chrominius ready to move in but the Eye espcially had him down to 1200hp by the time it died. The Lesser Voidcaller finished it off with drain power, siphon life and nether blast.

Gargrim
Pet Score:1196
Realm:Al'Akir-eu

Post by Gargrim » October 12th, 2015, 9:46 pm

I didn't know people had trouble with this, Emerald Proto Drake solos Quintessence.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2015, 7:19 am

Biscuit wrote:Am I missing something here?
Pre nerf that didn't work all the time (that is what you are missing). Quintessence's rotation was different and she hit harder. What could often happen (about 25% of the time) is that she would triple hit the water spirit twice in a row and kill it before you could get off Whirlpool (leaving only Geyser up). Back then, to get a guaranteed kill, you needed an exploder to explode on round one, placing the water spirit on her heatup round (which used to be round 3), allowing the water spirit to always live. Then all you had to worry about on Chrominius was 2 rounds of triple hits + 2 crits, which was a much lower chance (<1%).

A lot of earlier comments in this thread were pre nerf.

You are right that now a days it is much easier. A lot of people don't like the howl bomb (I don't mind either way myself), so they want alternate methods is probably another reason.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Edonae
Pet Score:8952
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Edonae » October 13th, 2015, 10:15 am

I'm using a P/P Nether Faerie Dragon, 2,2,1.

My skill order is 3, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1. Fight over.

I love this strat because there are no pet swaps, no "if this, then this", just 312111.

Sometimes the dragon dies the turn the life exchange is used, but the Exchange always brings it back. This strat hasn't failed me yet, and it goes FAST.

(A Sprite Darter Hatchling with the same moveset works too, but isn't as fast, because you can't get them in P/P)

Malibu12s
MVP
Pet Score:3491
BattleTag®:MaxVanquish#1244
Realm:Baelgun-us

Post by Malibu12s » October 13th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I've never lost this battle. It really is quite easy. Maybe I'm just lucky and have never had the crit on Chrominius. Use the "howl Bomb" strat. This also works on just about every single Tanaan Pet battle. (Some slight variations needed for a couple of them. By variations I mean, using [ability]water jet[/ability] once or twice first or things like that. Never have to switch out pets.) Here is my team:

[pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet]
[pet]Chrominius[/pet]
[pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet]

[pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet]
1. [ability]Geyser[/ability]
2. [ability]Whirlpool[/ability]
Swap to [pet]Chrominius[/pet]
3.[ability]Howl[/ability]
4. [ability]Surge of Power[/ability]

Fight is over.

When using this team in Tanaan, some practice is required but the strat is pretty much the same. Howl Bomb to burn down the big guy and finish off the remaining pets with what's left of [pet]Chrominius[/pet] and [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet].