Overlooked awesome pets

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Lauralen
Pet Score:2120
Realm:Darrowmere-us
Overlooked awesome pets

Post by Lauralen » November 7th, 2014, 11:19 am

I have noticed that one of my best pets is the nether ray fry, but I hardly every see anyone mention how useful it is. What do you think some other overlooked pets are?

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: Overlooked awesome pets

Post by Abashera » November 10th, 2014, 11:35 am

I also have the Nether Ray Fry as one of my favorites. And I'm not one of those who thinks we should only keep one of each pet. I have a P/P and S/S. There are good move sets for either fast or slow breeds.

I don't hear the Aqua Strider spoken about much. But it totally DECIMATES Antari's last pet!
(Pump > Pump again when you can > Healing Wave > Water Jet to stall between fades)

Azure Crane Chick is awesome against fliers.

A normal CAT in P/S was one of the first I leveled. With Devour you get back most of your health on the killing blow. S/S is also pretty good at 341 speed!

Shale Hatchlings need more love! Stone Skin then Sticky Web > Leach Life, rinse and repeat for almost endless health regen.

H/H Emerald Turtle - is one of the highest health pets in the game. If you can manage to pull off Grasp and Headbut with a stun, you've stollen a move from them, and they can't swap out. Both Shell Shield and Healing Wave are good, especially considering his healthpool. Emerald Bite is also nice.

Emperor Crab (P/P) is awesome; though I'm not sure he belongs on this list as others also like him. But he's so worth mentioning.

Any Spider in a P/P. (See Shale Hatchling strats.)

Imperial Eagle (P/P) It took me a while to find that breed in a rare, but well worth it.

The H/P Shimmershell Snail, in my opinion, is the best snail in the game.

S/S Tiny Harvester. I would like to see him getting more love.

Finally, Ruby Sapling. This one is one of my favorites, and among my first to capture and level. VERY under-rated!
Last edited by Abashera on November 11th, 2014, 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » November 10th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Personally I like the [pet]Giraffe Calf[/pet]... it has a similar moveset to other critters... but wait it's a Beast! Hoof, Tranquility and Headbutt make for an awesome powerhouse for leveling or just stomping on undead cats.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » November 10th, 2014, 1:50 pm

I love love love my [pet]Purple Puffer[/pet]. He is a staple of many of my PVE teams. In particular, he rofls the farmer trainer (whose name escapes me) easily soloing the team and taking along a carry pet for good measure (not a lvl 1 of course--silly AoE). He is my go-to against all elementals. A+ pet for sure. :D

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » November 10th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Rabid nut varmint is one of my absolute favourites. I have SS PP an HH breeds, I actually have uses for all three of them, but if I had to choose, I'd take the SS before the other two.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » November 10th, 2014, 8:10 pm

There are plenty of overlooked pets. Most pets have their uses! A few that stand out for me are:

Spectral Porcupette
For me this was the pet with the higgest winratio (previous patch). It is my favorite support pet. It has such great defense and stall capabilities. The PvP team I used it in had a 95.4% winratio throughout 200 matches. The team sadly became slightly weaker with this patch.
It also is a decent in Darkness.

Corefire Imp
I used this pet in PvP in 5.2, it sadly isn't great in PvP anymore. It however is amazing in PvE fights. It combos so well (with Stampede for example). I use it to kill three of the four Celestial trainers (it won't die).

Cat (I like Panther Cub and Snow Cub for cosmetic reasons)
My fav pet to boost level low level pets. I am sure that others would recommend Feline Familiar for the same reason. A simple cat allows me to finish fights quickly in the Vale. The cat has been my most efficient way to level pets versus wild opponents.

Enchanted Broom
This pet has been nerfed, because its damage can no longer be predicted (at least in the way that I used it). It however has been a go to pet for both PvP and PvE. It has a Swap, a Clean-up move, good damage and the magic racial.

Shale Hatchlings
This is a versatile pet. It has either a very offensive suicidal move-set or a good defense. I like the P/P and H/H breeds. Both are viable.

Tito
I like Tito. It has Cyclone and Howl, although he is a bit fragile. He's very different from the other Cyclone pets.

Yu'La
I like Celestial Blessing. The next pet that is swapped in will take -50% damage. Harmonious Porcupette has Celestial Blessing too, but I prefer Yu'La.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » November 10th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Magic Lamp. It's not quite as strong as it was a few months ago, now that Unborn Val'kyr got nerfed, but the combination of a cleanse and a big heal still destroys a lot of random teams. It also hits reasonably hard - Arcane Blast tops out at 370 damage - and is reasonably fast.

Sandrazzley
Pet Score:1127
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Sandrazzley » November 10th, 2014, 10:56 pm

I actually have a lvl18 green [pet]Festering Maggot[/pet] that I have never lost with. The blues that I have at that level seem to go down fairly quickly but the Maggot can take some damage and do some as well.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » November 11th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Just remembered another one.

Bucktooth Flapper (B/B).

I usually have my Emerald Proto-Welp on my team when I'm leveling, and he never dies... well, almost never. One of the few times he died it was to a B/B Bucktooh. I named mine Jack the Ripper.

Re. Maggot: As Sandrazzley pointed out. Yes I love my maggots! (did I really just say that?) lol

Any Maggot in H/H. And if you want a little more power, Mr. Grubs (H/P) has the same move-sets, but at 289 power, as opposed to the 260 from Devouring and Festering Maggots (although a normal maggot has a B/B breed that has 276 power).
Last edited by Abashera on November 11th, 2014, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13317
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » November 11th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Syd the squid! he's a magic with aquatic spells! His Water Jet ->bubble->whirlpool just destroys elementals...Plus after he's finished with the elemental (Like Antari) he can normally destroy the next pet too....If you use a Dark Whelping with Syd on Antari you can carry a 3rd pet no problems :)

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » November 11th, 2014, 2:01 pm

It depends on your definition of 'overlooked'! I will say that I definitely underestimated the power of the Gazelle Fawn. So many heals, & that Nature's Ward swing Family type is near-invaluable in Draenor.

I've found that a lot of the higher-level 'trash' pets are oddly good too. Like frogs, with their heals & strong Aquatic damage. Not so hot for PVP, but a workhorse for PVE.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Melfice
Top Rater
Pet Score:3357
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Melfice » November 11th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Frosty

I love Frosty! He is a fun pet for PvP, and can take some damage. Being undead is a plus (unless you run into critters), and he is a good addition to a Blizzard team. I have him on an odd ball setup team (not a Blizzard team), and for some reason I used to win a lot of matches.

It's been a while since I PvPed with that old team, but I won a lot with it. You can use Diseased Bite to kill humanoids, or keep Frost Breath for the whole chill theme of the pet. I like Diseased Bite to counter, and Ice Tomb is one of my favorite skills. I'm thinking with Blistering Cold might be a good choice, if used with the right setup/support (Wild Magic/Black Claw).

Infected Squirrel (H/P)

I know this pet was nerfed, but its still one of my top choices in my moonlight teams. Creeping fungus and stampede do nice damage, and he can take on humanoids slowing them down, or killing them. I love Consume a lot, but I'm interested in giving corpse explosion a try. It might be a good addition in PvP battles.

Sporeling Sprout (P/P) or (S/S)

Thinking of moonlight teams....Sporeling Sprout is a great addition to the team! He can Jab/Charge, Creeping Fungus and Crouch to do some damage, and takes some hits (might want to use a S/S for a bonus to Crouch). You can go full defense with Jab/Charge, Leech Seed, and Crouch if need be. And the final option is all out damage with Jab/Charge, Creeping Fungus and Spore Shrooms. Also Charge is a good choice for more speed on the P/P breed.

I have been using Jab (going to try Charge soon too), Creeping Fungus and Crouch as my first choice, and I really like It so far. The Sporeling Sprout is a very durable battle pet, and I really enjoying my Moonlight teams with him on them.

Pierre

This pet is a BLAST to battle with, and a great support team member!!! He is on my bleed team, Pierre keeps things going along. He has some very good moves for support, like Stench to reduce hit chance, and Heat Up hurts multi hit attackers!

One of the best ways to deal with nasty attack moves, like Haunt is with High Fiber :) It wipes all buffs and debuffs on your whole team. Very nice, and I also love using Food Coma tho. But with so many Unborn Val'kyr out there, its a very nice move to have. Pierre fits very well on a bleed team, but he can go elsewhere too. His Frying Pan has a chance to stun, and gives some more damage. But that's Pierre's big issue is the lack of damage. He is 100% support, and is amazing at it but when I'm left with Pierre as my final pet...he can delay the match...but Pierre has a hard time finishing a pet off.

Molten Hatchling

This pet is awesome, and tough to kill. He has a lot of healing, and my tank for my Burn team. The pet can also put out some damage if you would like. I rather go all out tanking mode with my Molten Hatchling, but that's just me. Good pet and I like the pet model too.

Netherwhelp

I really like this pet! He does good damage, and has Phase Shift to dodge and Soulrush to stun. Oh, Instability can murder if you use the Netherwelp with a good support skill from a team member. Or you can use the Netherwhelp's Accuracy skill, but I rather not myself.

Good times with this little whelp, and he looks awesome too!

I know there are more overlooked pets I have, but I'll post more later

Alien
MVP
Pet Score:5498
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Alien » November 12th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Melfice wrote:Frosty

I love Frosty! He is a fun pet for PvP, and can take some damage. Being undead is a plus (unless you run into critters), and he is a good addition to a Blizzard team. I have him on an odd ball setup team (not a Blizzard team), and for some reason I used to win a lot of matches.

It's been a while since I PvPed with that old team, but I won a lot with it. You can use Diseased Bite to kill humanoids, or keep Frost Breath for the whole chill theme of the pet. I like Diseased Bite to counter, and Ice Tomb is one of my favorite skills. I'm thinking with Blistering Cold might be a good choice, if used with the right setup/support (Wild Magic/Black Claw).
I have a team with Frosty, Kovok and one of the Zandalari raptors. I usually use Blistering Cold on Frosty, then switch to Kovok, use Black Claw and then use Poison Fang. (And heal with Digest Brains!) I find two general responses...there are those who swap pets all over the place either as part of their strategy or to deal with Blistering Cold and there are those who just take it. Sometimes people get so excited about swapping to minimize Blistering Cold that they swap out a pet with Poison Fang and Black Claw in effect, which means the pet's health drops quite a bit while swapped. The raptor is there mostly as a backup.

As I have it now, the team isn't a pvp powerhouse. It's like most of my Magic deck designs back in the day...I think it's very clever and it makes me really happy when it works, but it doesn't win as often as something more direct.

As a side note, I believe Blistering Cold will be on the Carrot pet in WoD.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » November 12th, 2014, 4:41 pm

May I suggest Touch of the Animus (Son Of Animus with metal Fist/Touch of the Animus/Extra Plating) as a partner for Frosty! It did wonders for me.

Melfice
Top Rater
Pet Score:3357
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Melfice » November 12th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Good to see other Frosty fans out there! I like the idea of Kovok and Frosty together on the same team. Hmm and Son Of Animus as the third? It might be a good setup and a bit different at the same time. It gives some heals and lasting power too.

I'm going to give it a try this weekend!

Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Katzbalger » November 14th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Two pets I use fairly often and have never faced as far as I remember are:-

Tideskipper-H/S
I generally run him with Crush, Tidal Wave, Geyser. I like the variety of damage types, his aquatic racial is good for soaking those pesky valks (don't geyser 1st round...they almost always curse first, then the smart ones seeing geyser will wait to haunt when geyser goes off to avoid it) and tidal wave clears decoys as well as some AOE on the backrow.

Tiny Bog Beast-H/P
I run Clobber, Leap, Poison Lash. Leap is nice for the beast damage plus countering the speed of rabbits, clobber can combine especially well vs avoidance pets with geyser, stunning them with clobber on the round before geyser pops so they can't avoid it and the stun chains on, plus the poison dot for those that like to switch around a lot.

I mix and match my teams a lot for fun, my favorite with these is Tranquil Mechanical Yeti running Thrash, Call Lightning and Ion Cannon.