one-shot wonder (fluxfire feline)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Nibla
Re: one-shot wonder (fluxfire feline)

Post by Nibla » December 2nd, 2012, 1:01 pm

thanks for the help, do you care to recommend an addon that does this?

Sadiesaurus
Pet Score:933
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Sadiesaurus » December 2nd, 2012, 1:50 pm

Well PetJournal Enchanced shows a little icon next to the pets you own to indicate where there boost is. However some pets have half and half in-which case it doesn't show an icon (or possibly an incorrect icon?), which isn't so helpful. I don't think it shows an icon in combat either (?), so it would only be useful for pets you've captured.

There's an addon called BattlePetBreed ID that I had a glance at. Though it seemed to use abbreviations, for example S/B and B/B. I'm not entirely sure what they stood for so didn't download it. However maybe if you have a look at the help file or in-game it might explain.

Pet Breed ID's says an indication in the chat log, but it states that its not 100% accurate and personally I didn't like the look of it.

I just use a combination of PetJournal Enchanced and the tool on this website.

Seaferret
Pet Score:1176
Realm:Darkspear-us

Post by Seaferret » December 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm

Hellomynameis wrote: When it comes to OP pets, how about that Kun-Lai Runt, I dont have the formula so I cant calculate the number, but its seems this combo would be nice: Frost Shock + Deep Freeze + Takedown (chill & reduce speed + 100% chance of stun with loads of damage + loads of damage since the target is stunned)
I was hoping to do this, but it seems like the setup doesn't work. Frost shock doesn't seem to apply a real chill (just a speed reduction), so deep freeze isn't a guaranteed stun. Or at least that's what I think is happening to me. Does anyone know if this is working as intended or not? If it is, then this site needs to change its info for frost shock. If it isn't, then we need to harass blizzard :P

Wynn
Pet Score:5568
Realm:Runetotem-us

Post by Wynn » December 2nd, 2012, 5:00 pm

It's not counting as a chill, he still hits like a truck and been using him alot.
Healer that loves Cheesecake, Taiboku - Nall - Ronfa

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 2nd, 2012, 6:20 pm

I got my Fluxfire Feline to 25! Loving it!

At level 12 he could kill 2 beasts level 25 by himself :O (with enough luck)
And his last biggest crit I saw was at level 21, he did 3240!!! (against a beast, obviously)
At 25, he 2 shots any wild lvl 25 beasts (don't even need to Supercharge), making leveling other pets awesomely fast

Edit:
Regarding the Kun-Lai Runt, the Frost Shock indeed doesn't Chill the target. But this is a great combo opportunity!
I'm leveling my Tiny Snowman right now as I level my Kun-Lai Runt, one calls blizzard, the other jumps in and has 9 rounds of enemies already Chilled ready to be stunned and destroyed. Snowman isn't bad himself as he has Deep Freeze too, so you can start with Blizzard, then Deep Freeze (stun), swap to Runt, Deep Freeze (stun), Take Down. In 5 rounds you dealt about 1700 damage (more to dragonkins/mechanicals, less to beasts/critters), and your opponent only got to pass 1 to 3 attacks, depending on speeds. The only downside is that this strategy rely a lot on timing and succesful hits, making it a little tricky to use.

Once these two are 25 I'll try to pair them with the Fluxfire Feline, since he's awesome, especially against Beasts and Critters, which are the two families that the Runt and Snowman would be less efficient against. I think the 3 of them will make a pretty balanced and offensive PvP team.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 3rd, 2012, 4:25 am

Biggest crit so far is 4220, on Mo'ruk's grub. This was at lvl 25, with the speed version (breed 5).

He almost solo'd Major Payne -- killed the bear and mechapeep (one lucky dodge vs the bear, which made a big difference), then got 2 hits on the lasher. His burst is disgusting, but his sustained dmg is also pretty mean-- he can go wind-up, supercharge, wind-up (hit you for 1900), wind-up, pounce (hit you for 400), supercharge, wind-up (hit you for 1900). 600 damage per turn! I don't think any other pet is even in this ballpark.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » December 3rd, 2012, 11:16 am

Poofah wrote:Biggest crit so far is 4220, on Mo'ruk's grub. This was at lvl 25, with the speed version (breed 5).

He almost solo'd Major Payne -- killed the bear and mechapeep (one lucky dodge vs the bear, which made a big difference), then got 2 hits on the lasher. His burst is disgusting, but his sustained dmg is also pretty mean-- he can go wind-up, supercharge, wind-up (hit you for 1900), wind-up, pounce (hit you for 400), supercharge, wind-up (hit you for 1900). 600 damage per turn! I don't think any other pet is even in this ballpark.
Indeed, I don't think there's anything else close to being able to provide that kind of damage output.
I'm actually tempted to level 3 Fluxfire Felines to go PVP with them. Too bad Elementals are so popular and so good against Mechs or I totally would..

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » December 3rd, 2012, 4:15 pm

After a lot of searching, I was able to snag a blue this morning. Looks like its a breed 8. Before I start leveling it, is there a reason I may want to keep looking for the faster 5 of will it be good either way?

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » December 3rd, 2012, 4:19 pm

Quil2 wrote:After a lot of searching, I was able to snag a blue this morning. Looks like its a breed 8. Before I start leveling it, is there a reason I may want to keep looking for the faster 5 of will it be good either way?
I think increased speed is a big plus for this guy. He rarely actually attack, since he winds up / supercharges, so missing when you actually get to hit really sucks. That means that fighting against any pet that has dodging ability such as Burrow, Dive, Lift Off, Cocoon strike, etc etc.. Well if you go faster than your opponent, it's a lot easier to ensure your hit will not miss. Also of course helps killing an enemy before he gets another attack on you, since he doesn't have a whole lot of health, this is a plus too.

I think he'd still be awesome no matter what breed he is though, I have no clue what Breed mine is but he has 325 speed at 25 and I love him to bits.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » December 3rd, 2012, 6:20 pm

Agree, both are good but the high-speed version is better: breedID 5, 325 speed at 25. At any level, his speed will be higher than power, which makes it easy to tell them apart when you go to capture the lvl 1-2s (I think it's 12 power/13 speed at lvl 1, 23/26 at lvl 2--the breed 8 has those same stats but flipped). The slow one is not particularly slow, either, with 289 speed. However 325 is kind of a magic number where there is a very short list of pets that are higher. For example the fast feline gets to go first vs the Darkmoon tamer's monkey or the 2 larva/silkworm pets on the Pandaria tamers, whereas the slow one doesn't. In pvp, a lot of the annoying fast pets are in the 289-325 range, like Flayer #5 or Leopard Tree Frog #5.

On the flip side, the extra power is really just superfluous -- it hardly matters whether you hit for 1900 or 2100. There's only a handful of pets that will survive 1900 anyway, the most notable is probably Magical Crawdad with his shield up. Among tamer pets, only Darnak the Tunneler (Thundering Spirit's molerat) has more than 1900 health, and he's a beast so will get one-shot regardless.

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » December 3rd, 2012, 6:35 pm

Thanks, I ran back out there just now and managed to pick up a fast blue. And while looking, I managed to find and save a blue slow one for my wife. And then just for fun, she tried one more - and also got the fast one. Funny, 3 blues in a row after 2-3 days of searching for a single one!

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » December 4th, 2012, 10:33 am

Poofah wrote:Agree, both are good but the high-speed version is better: breedID 5, 325 speed at 25.
Oooh that means mine is the best breed! Did not even know but quite pleased to hear that :D
Poofah wrote:On the flip side, the extra power is really just superfluous -- it hardly matters whether you hit for 1900 or 2100. There's only a handful of pets that will survive 1900 anyway, the most notable is probably Magical Crawdad with his shield up.
Oh no, unless Sunny Day weather is up, even the Magical Crawdad with his shield up dies one shot. I PVP battled last night with the fluxfire feline and encountered the Crawdad on 2 occasions; both times I one shotted him and the opponent left the battle. :lol:

I was using the following team:
1) Tiny Snowman (start with Blizzard + Deepfreeze)
2) Kun-Lai Runt (while Blizzard is up, Deepfreeze + the one that does double damage to stunned targets)
3) Fluxfire Feline

I kept getting the same opponent though, but even when he switched pets to have the Fel Flame against my Fluxfire Feline, and a Snail against my Tiny Snowman, I still managed to win the fight. I think that team is fairly strong! Lots of fire power, lots of stun, lots of versatility.

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » December 4th, 2012, 11:17 am

A magical pet would be one option to avoid the massive one-shot. Magical pets now take 40% of their HP as max damage per attack.

Jrallen01
Pet Score:7930
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Jrallen01 » December 6th, 2012, 7:30 am

Leveled my fluxfire feline and he fluxed-up the dark moon monkey with a 2701 one-shot.

Amethystdrac
Pet Score:9263
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Amethystdrac » December 6th, 2012, 9:50 am

Thank you for this post! I got a mech battle stone and couldn't decide who to upgrade. Considered my cogblade raptor because mech is the only class I don't have to 25, but this was definitely the wiser choice. this lil guy is an absolute beast.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 6th, 2012, 10:09 am

I have yet to get one of these. Need to roll a Gnome on another server one of these days.

However, when the Monk was this OP they nerfed him. What are the odds of an impending nerf to the Mechakitty? Only one post on the official forums points out it's current OPness.

Mos
Pet Score:2126
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Mos » December 6th, 2012, 10:59 am

I have both breeds, and LOVE one-shotting that monkey at the faire! Well that and any other beast....the only thing you have to work to kill is elementals of course. Highest crit so far was 3703 on Nishi's worm....lol!!
Def server surfed to find both of mine, because Tich is not the place to find rare spawns.

Saa
Pet Score:2681
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Saa » December 6th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Zaelo wrote:
I was using the following team:
1) Tiny Snowman (start with Blizzard + Deepfreeze)
2) Kun-Lai Runt (while Blizzard is up, Deepfreeze + the one that does double damage to stunned targets)
3) Fluxfire Feline

I've been using this team today.....it's dirty as hell *grin*

Saa

Poofah

Post by Poofah » December 6th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Talmar wrote:I have yet to get one of these. Need to roll a Gnome on another server one of these days.

However, when the Monk was this OP they nerfed him. What are the odds of an impending nerf to the Mechakitty? Only one post on the official forums points out it's current OPness.
The Monk was OP because Take-Down is supposed to get bonus damage from the target being stunned, but it was initially hitting for the bonus damage even if the target wasn't stunned. So, that was just a bug fix. Then they nerfed the damage of Take-Down by about 20 points at max level, which is about a 7% nerf.

I'm not defending Fluxfire, I think it's a bit nuts as it is. Just pointing out that the Monk was actually not working as intended, whereas Fluxfire is dealing the damage that his moves' tooltips say they should. The multiplicative effect of Wind-Up plus Supercharge is the culprit, and I have no idea why they decided it was a good idea to give a pet access to both--all prior pets with these abilities had them in the same slot so you had to choose between them.

Having a pet that hits super hard is not necessarily overpowered, as long as there are counters. However I think Fluxfire's damage is just too extreme, and so even the things that in theory should be hard counters are not as effective as they should be. As a mechanical, you'd think that an elemental would obliterate the Fluxfire, but it's not the case: a supercharged Wind-Up still hits an elemental for roughly 1300. The other way to counter it would be with an avoidance ability, but the Fluxfire's extremely high speed means that most avoidance abilities aren't going to work. And, the Supercharge buff only goes away when the Fluxfire deals damage: it doesn't go away if you can make the Fluxfire swing at you with an evasion buff up.

I really don't know how they could nerf this guy without either: a) outright changing his moveset or b) nerfing one of the offending abilities, which would cause collateral damage to the many pets who have those abilities and are not overpowered.