An Awfully Big Adventure

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tamor
Pet Score:11207
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Tamor » November 26th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Chibimage wrote:You know, it's interesting to me the wildly different experiences people have - because these strats are *tested* by me dozens and dozens and dozens of times before I settle on them and set down to make a video and write it down. So they are all solid and successful for me, 100% of the time.

I have to chalk it up to perhaps some miscommunication in my write ups or videos.
I attempted the Celestial Tournament today using your strategies and hit a brick wall completely with Taran Zhu.

Burrow (negates Blackout Kick) is the first move you suggest. It never worked for me as he always went first.
My Festering Maggot is H/H whereas I suspect yours is H/S giving you the first hit each time. Your guide states breeds for some of the pets but not all so I was none the wiser until he repeatedly destroyed my pets.

Not criticising just pointing out a possible reason for some of the varying results people are having.
Thank you to you and all the pet battlers who spend the time to work out and refine strategies so the likes of me can obtain pets I would never otherwise be able to.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 26th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Tamor wrote: Burrow (negates Blackout Kick) is the first move you suggest. It never worked for me as he always went first.
My Festering Maggot is H/H whereas I suspect yours is H/S giving you the first hit each time. Your guide states breeds for some of the pets but not all so I was none the wiser until he repeatedly destroyed my pets.
As a note, if you are getting hit by blackout kick, then you might be waiting too long to use burrow. The first pet of Taran Zhu always does:

R1: Takedown
R2: Blackout Kick

You should be casting Burrow on R1 to avoid the Blackout kick on R2. You will take damage on R1, but that's fine. Now if you are using a maggot that is faster, you could wait till R2 to use burrow, but for slower ones, use it on R1 as her strat suggests.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Tamor

Post by Tamor » November 27th, 2014, 4:56 am

I went back today and did this fight a dozen times following Chibimage's strategy exactly as she layed it out.
I won nearly every time. The couple of losses I'd put down to an occasional crit on Taran Zhu's pets part.
I have no idea why I had such trouble with this yesterday as I'm sure I followed the guide step by step.
Thank you again for the time and effort you all put in to devising these guides and for for sharing them with the community.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » November 27th, 2014, 11:52 am

Jerebear wrote:
No it hasn't changed, but it isn't a flat 50%. You have to take into consideration the distribution of the hits. You have 5 hits each with a 50% chance to hit and each with a 50% chance to apply the debuff "if they hit". That end result chance at slowing isn't 50%. It's a distribution of a conditional probability problem.
I interpret the tooltip differently. To me, it's 4 hits that can deal damage, and the fifth hit that can slow if it hits. I don't read it as all the hits can potentially slow if they hit.

Kingdan
Pet Score:4003
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Kingdan » November 27th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Does it matter if my festering maggot is h/h or h/s?

Tamor

Post by Tamor » November 27th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Kingdan wrote:Does it matter if my festering maggot is h/h or h/s?
No. I have a H/H Festering Maggot and as I said in my later post the strategy worked nearly every time when I went back the next day. Sorry for causing any confusion. I probably did something incorrect and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 28th, 2014, 1:17 am

Sellys wrote:
Jerebear wrote:
No it hasn't changed, but it isn't a flat 50%. You have to take into consideration the distribution of the hits. You have 5 hits each with a 50% chance to hit and each with a 50% chance to apply the debuff "if they hit". That end result chance at slowing isn't 50%. It's a distribution of a conditional probability problem.
I interpret the tooltip differently. To me, it's 4 hits that can deal damage, and the fifth hit that can slow if it hits. I don't read it as all the hits can potentially slow if they hit.
I believe all hits can potentially slow.

EDIT: No, I tested it and believe you are correct. My mistake!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » November 28th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Does anyone have alternate tactics for Taralune (I think a lot of people don't like to have dublicate pets) and Cymre Brightblade (Mechanical Scorpid is just too expensive this early in the game)?

Apart from that, I just spent 7 hours levelling all the pets I needed for this.... Now to aquire a Plushy ;)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 28th, 2014, 9:00 pm

FuxieDK wrote:Does anyone have alternate tactics for Taralune (I think a lot of people don't like to have dublicate pets) and Cymre Brightblade (Mechanical Scorpid is just too expensive this early in the game)?

Apart from that, I just spent 7 hours levelling all the pets I needed for this.... Now to aquire a Plushy ;)
Well for Cymre I use the Crawdad + Nexus, but I don't think you have that team available. For Taralune (Talador right?) I use:

Slot1: Carry Pet / Plushie
Slot2: Sun Reaver Micro Sentry with Laser and Extra Plating
Slot3: Nexus Whelp with Tail Sweep, Mana Surge, Arcane Storm

Open with Plushie to take the first hit (any ability)
Swap to Microsentry
Extra Plating
Spam Laser until the first pet dies (you'll get interrupted and blocked some)
Laser Spam 2nd pet until micro sentry dies
Nexus Whelpling comes in to use Arcane Storm
Mana Surge to victory
Tail Sweep if for some reason you don't kill the last 2 pets.

It's not crit solid, but it works 90% of the time.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » December 8th, 2014, 7:24 am

Jerebear, /highfive for coming in here and helping when I cannot. You're awesome! :D

I'm a 'farmer' for my progression guild and I've been crazy busy for the most part, as I am sure you can imagine!!

As far as Taralune goes - she's so easy any two Strong vs. Fliers should work - I just enjoy the heck outta blasting her with Arcane Storm/Mana Surge. I can see a Kirin-Tor Familiar spamming Arcane Explosion (taking him out first) being really strong here for the backline and sweeping up with just about anything.

I use him for Vesharr, which is completely different than my video now (since they fixed him in the beta) and I need to do another one! lol

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 10th, 2014, 4:13 am

Ryazan wrote:I modified to tactic a bit and went for Tongue Lash instead of the Water Jet. Roughly the fight went as:
  • Swarm of Flies up
  • Tongue Lash until UD racial triggers
  • Bubble (the UD racial round attack and Burrow from the wabbit)
  • Tongue Lash
  • Swarm of Flies when the rabbit is burrowed
  • Tongue Lash until the toad dies
This worked so much better for me and my toad almost killed the rabbit as well (had a nice streak of 3x hit Lashes though).
Thanks! I had found two different teams and both failed and I had to restart the tournament, this modification did the trick and I got my Trunks :)