An Awfully Big Adventure

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
User avatar
Luciandk
Posts:1293
Joined:February 12th, 2012
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-EU
Contact:
Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Luciandk » November 19th, 2014, 11:30 am

Got the second team of Celestial Tournament trainers downed today. Next week for the third set. Though it will be a week more ontop before DF returns.

[pet]Trunks[/pet] should be interesting to play around with. [ability]Nimbus[/ability] could be great for making [ability]When Elekks fly[/ability] a bit more reliable. Especially since the going first buff from Moonlight is too good to pass up on, making any of the shorter duration hitbuffs kinda a waste.

User avatar
Elfuego
Posts:99
Joined:April 29th, 2013
Pet Score:3958
Realm:Moon Guard-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Elfuego » November 19th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Hey chibimage, when I start focusing the event Ill post my strats as well. All do is is focus video how too's. As is, I have 2 pet strats for just about every trainer thru the MOP and the first few WOD ones. I look forward to both contributing and seeing the strats!
[profile]Elfuego[/profile]
GET OWNED!!!
http://www.wowpetbattle.com

User avatar
Skavenged
Posts:195
Joined:September 12th, 2013
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Skavenged » November 20th, 2014, 9:01 am

I still haven't been able to get a plushie. Actually, that's a lie... I've had plushies, but selling them is just too lucrative at this point. I honestly hate it when Blizz offers achieves or quests that turn into huge money makers for some players. That said though, my tailors will still keep cashing the checks for as long as the money rolls in

User avatar
Sellys
Posts:117
Joined:September 5th, 2013
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Sellys » November 20th, 2014, 10:40 am

Most of the WoD pet tamers are pretty easy, then there's that crazy woman out in Gorgrond and nasty petses.

User avatar
Topaz
Posts:169
Joined:December 30th, 2013
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-EU
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Topaz » November 20th, 2014, 11:36 am

there are a few tactics written on the previous page you can check. (i managed her with a s/s fiendish imp and a MPD)

User avatar
Chibimage
Top Rater
Posts:200
Joined:January 18th, 2010
Pet Score:5822
Realm:Stormrage-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Chibimage » November 24th, 2014, 11:07 am

I am going to make my own Plushie when I level my Mage (Chibimage) hehe my main is my Hunter Jensketch! She is my Tailor.

I am looking forward to everyone working on their Trunks!!

User avatar
Sellys
Posts:117
Joined:September 5th, 2013
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Sellys » November 24th, 2014, 3:43 pm

I gave up trying to figure out Blingtron and Shademaster Kiryn and used your teams.

Fwiw, I find the SM Kiryn team a bit misleading. It lists sporebat and snowman in that order, but when I started with the sporebat I got clobbered, but starting with the snowman was a one-shot.

User avatar
Yamum
Posts:312
Joined:July 9th, 2013
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Yamum » November 25th, 2014, 1:04 am

Can't beat Wise Mari with this strat.

edit: finally got it after 4 or 5 attempts. Very inconsistent, consider revision.

User avatar
Topaz
Posts:169
Joined:December 30th, 2013
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-EU
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Topaz » November 25th, 2014, 3:35 am

Yamum wrote:Can't beat Wise Mari with this strat.

edit: finally got it after 4 or 5 attempts. Very inconsistent, consider revision.
if anyone is having hardship i posted a guide in [url=http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9069#comments]wowhead[/url] with turn by turn.

User avatar
Ryazan
MVP
Posts:251
Joined:February 24th, 2011
Pet Score:9800
Realm:Ragnaros-EU
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Ryazan » November 25th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I really hate Sully. The current tactic it's so unreliable it hurts. :/ Bad RNG with either Sully or Rikki effectively ruins the try for sure.

EDIT: Actually, Socks can kill your frog even without crits. Just enough Claws instead of Infected Claws and the toad is toast before Socks is.
- Taking your candles since 2005

User avatar
Baldulf
MVP
Posts:97
Joined:March 14th, 2010
Pet Score:6727
Realm:Suramar-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Baldulf » November 25th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Ryazan wrote:I really hate Sully. The current tactic it's so unreliable it hurts. :/ Bad RNG with either Sully or Rikki effectively ruins the try for sure.

EDIT: Actually, Socks can kill your frog even without crits. Just enough Claws instead of Infected Claws and the toad is toast before Socks is.
Yeah, SO much RNG. This took me two hours, noodling around with different pets. I altered the Murloc Harbor tactic a bit and swapped the moth for a Vampiric Batling (which I realize won’t help some people). I found it more helpful to bubble on Socks’ rez turn, and then refresh Flies when Monte is underground. I also used Tongue Lash instead of Water Jet. I finished off Monte with the Batling’s bite, then Reckless Strike, Hawkeye, Reckless Strike on Rikki. Had to restart a couple times for Rikki’s dodge, but it eventually got it done.

User avatar
Chibimage
Top Rater
Posts:200
Joined:January 18th, 2010
Pet Score:5822
Realm:Stormrage-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Chibimage » November 25th, 2014, 10:40 pm

You know, it's interesting to me the wildly different experiences people have - because these strats are *tested* by me dozens and dozens and dozens of times before I settle on them and set down to make a video and write it down. So they are all solid and successful for me, 100% of the time.

I have to chalk it up to perhaps some miscommunication in my write ups or videos.

The Gulp Froglet/Moth combo for Sully works so brilliantly for me I am totally amazed it isn't working for you - maybe I wrote the order down wrong on the page, I'll have to check.

User avatar
Ryazan
MVP
Posts:251
Joined:February 24th, 2011
Pet Score:9800
Realm:Ragnaros-EU
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Ryazan » November 26th, 2014, 12:57 am

Chibimage wrote:You know, it's interesting to me the wildly different experiences people have - because these strats are *tested* by me dozens and dozens and dozens of times before I settle on them and set down to make a video and write it down. So they are all solid and successful for me, 100% of the time.

I have to chalk it up to perhaps some miscommunication in my write ups or videos.

The Gulp Froglet/Moth combo for Sully works so brilliantly for me I am totally amazed it isn't working for you - maybe I wrote the order down wrong on the page, I'll have to check.
I had two major issues with your tactic:
  • Any crit from Socks effectively ruined the try (heck, in the first two matches the soddy thing critted my pet twice)
  • If Socks used Claw more than Infected Claw, there was a high chance that the frog died during the UD racial or even sooner.
What also had rather big impact was the damn dodge from the otter. One of my good tries ended when Rikki dodged both Moth Balls and Alpha Strike in row. Granted that was just bad RNG so it's no biggie. :)

I modified to tactic a bit and went for Tongue Lash instead of the Water Jet. Roughly the fight went as:
  • Swarm of Flies up
  • Tongue Lash until UD racial triggers
  • Bubble (the UD racial round attack and Burrow from the wabbit)
  • Tongue Lash
  • Swarm of Flies when the rabbit is burrowed
  • Tongue Lash until the toad dies
This worked so much better for me and my toad almost killed the rabbit as well (had a nice streak of 3x hit Lashes though).
- Taking your candles since 2005

User avatar
Luciandk
Posts:1293
Joined:February 12th, 2012
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-EU
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Luciandk » November 26th, 2014, 6:31 am

Almost done with an Awfully Big Adventure. Only missing Christoph VonFeasel and Jeremy Feasel now.

Imho, Shademaster Kiryn was the biggest problem of all the Celestial Tournament masters. But the new Soul of the Forge did wonders there, having the sustainability to grind down her pets while keeping healing.

User avatar
Helbrecht
Posts:25
Joined:November 17th, 2013
Pet Score:4274
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Helbrecht » November 26th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Sellys wrote:Most of the WoD pet tamers are pretty easy, then there's that crazy woman out in Gorgrond and nasty petses.
I have a rock-solid team for Cymre, with thanks to Chibi and others for inspiration.

Magical Crawdad (Snap, Shell Shield, Wish)
P/P Infinite Whelpling (Tail Sweep, Healing Flame, Early Advantage)
Carry pet

If your carry pet can survive a Rot (~400 dmg) you can lead with it, but I'll describe the strat as though you have a level 1 carry.

Lead with Crawdad. Shell Shield, swap to carry, swap back. Snap while keeping SS up. When the Idol of Decay is <250 health it'll Dark Rebirth, so just refresh SS for a couple turns before Snapping it to death. On the Idol's undead turn, cast Wish.

Cymre brings in the lantern; you swap to the Infinite Whelpling, who takes a big hit on the swap but then is immediately healed up to super-max health by the Wish. Proceed to Tail Sweep the lantern to death. Almost always the lantern will die the turn its Wish would have gone off, completely negating it. If you kill the lantern a turn early (should be uncommon) you can still win.

Cymre brings out the mech-gnome. Use Early Advantage for supermassive damage on it. The gnome will then trigger Repair, and two Tail Sweeps should take it out before the heal goes off.

I've been using this strat since WoD launched and haven't had it fail yet. Hope it helps.

User avatar
Sellys
Posts:117
Joined:September 5th, 2013
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Sellys » November 26th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Chibimage wrote:
The Gulp Froglet/Moth combo for Sully works so brilliantly for me I am totally amazed it isn't working for you - maybe I wrote the order down wrong on the page, I'll have to check.
Looking at your write up of the fight, you state that getting the slow on the second pet with moth balls is important, and that you're not even sure if it's possible to win if you don't get that slow.

Assuming the slow is a 50% hit chance like the actual damage attacks, that means 50% of the time we're likely screwed, which could explain some of the issues.

User avatar
Jerebear
Posts:1189
Joined:September 15th, 2013
Pet Score:10434
Realm:Llane-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Jerebear » November 26th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Helbrecht wrote: Magical Crawdad (Snap, Shell Shield, Wish)
P/P Infinite Whelpling (Tail Sweep, Healing Flame, Early Advantage)
Carry pet

If your carry pet can survive a Rot (~400 dmg) you can lead with it, but I'll describe the strat as though you have a level 1 carry.

Lead with Crawdad. Shell Shield, swap to carry, swap back. Snap while keeping SS up. When the Idol of Decay is <250 health it'll Dark Rebirth, so just refresh SS for a couple turns before Snapping it to death. On the Idol's undead turn, cast Wish.

Cymre brings in the lantern; you swap to the Infinite Whelpling, who takes a big hit on the swap but then is immediately healed up to super-max health by the Wish. Proceed to Tail Sweep the lantern to death. Almost always the lantern will die the turn its Wish would have gone off, completely negating it. If you kill the lantern a turn early (should be uncommon) you can still win.

Cymre brings out the mech-gnome. Use Early Advantage for supermassive damage on it. The gnome will then trigger Repair, and two Tail Sweeps should take it out before the heal goes off.

I've been using this strat since WoD launched and haven't had it fail yet. Hope it helps.
I use the same strat (a P/P Bronze whelp also works, but I use the infinite). One optimization I use is that I do the carry pet swap on the turn the Idol is going to cast Rebirth. That makes it a bit quicker. There are a few places where the strat can fail. The most notable is if the first hit of early advantage crits, then the 2nd hit doesn't go off and the Robot is not dropped down far enough to be killed in 2 hits, so it is able to heal. Still recoverable from this point, but something to be aware of.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

User avatar
Jerebear
Posts:1189
Joined:September 15th, 2013
Pet Score:10434
Realm:Llane-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Jerebear » November 26th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Sellys wrote:
Chibimage wrote:
The Gulp Froglet/Moth combo for Sully works so brilliantly for me I am totally amazed it isn't working for you - maybe I wrote the order down wrong on the page, I'll have to check.
Looking at your write up of the fight, you state that getting the slow on the second pet with moth balls is important, and that you're not even sure if it's possible to win if you don't get that slow.

Assuming the slow is a 50% hit chance like the actual damage attacks, that means 50% of the time we're likely screwed, which could explain some of the issues.
It's not quite 50%, there are multiple hits, so the hit chance is different.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

User avatar
Sellys
Posts:117
Joined:September 5th, 2013
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Sellys » November 26th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Jerebear wrote:
Sellys wrote:
It's not quite 50%, there are multiple hits, so the hit chance is different.
Have they changed it? My understanding wasn't that each hit could slow, it was that the slow was a separate roll on the hit chart after the 4 damaging attacks.

User avatar
Jerebear
Posts:1189
Joined:September 15th, 2013
Pet Score:10434
Realm:Llane-US
Contact:

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Jerebear » November 26th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Sellys wrote:
Jerebear wrote:
Sellys wrote:
It's not quite 50%, there are multiple hits, so the hit chance is different.
Have they changed it? My understanding wasn't that each hit could slow, it was that the slow was a separate roll on the hit chart after the 4 damaging attacks.
No it hasn't changed, but it isn't a flat 50%. You have to take into consideration the distribution of the hits. You have 5 hits each with a 50% chance to hit and each with a 50% chance to apply the debuff "if they hit". That end result chance at slowing isn't 50%. It's a distribution of a conditional probability problem.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Post Reply