Good all-around Beast pet?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us
Re: Good all-around Beast pet?

Post by Echinacea » September 12th, 2014, 8:36 am

ive been levelling a bunch of pets around halfhill area and i am amazed at how many the death adder hatchling can take out before needing healing.....and this is from a glass cannon pet. i typically open with my carry pet, then swap to DAH to finish and if it gets killed i use my Anubisath to mop up. this makes for fast levelling because most everything is critter or aquatic. ive got to the point of not wasting blind and the big superpower hit on critters because the normal venom bite does enough. the only time it has trouble are with turtles faster than it

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 12th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Echinacea wrote:ive been levelling a bunch of pets around halfhill area and i am amazed at how many the death adder hatchling can take out before needing healing.....and this is from a glass cannon pet. i typically open with my carry pet, then swap to DAH to finish and if it gets killed i use my Anubisath to mop up. this makes for fast levelling because most everything is critter or aquatic. ive got to the point of not wasting blind and the big superpower hit on critters because the normal venom bite does enough. the only time it has trouble are with turtles faster than it
Try Feline Familiar. With Onyx Bite, Stoneskin, Devour it can solo full teams of lvl 25 wild pets all day without needing healing ever. Only ones that might give it some trouble are mechanicals, but there aren't any at high level so thats no issue. :p

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » September 15th, 2014, 10:02 am

Klaital wrote:
Echinacea wrote:ive been levelling a bunch of pets around halfhill area and i am amazed at how many the death adder hatchling can take out before needing healing.....and this is from a glass cannon pet. i typically open with my carry pet, then swap to DAH to finish and if it gets killed i use my Anubisath to mop up. this makes for fast levelling because most everything is critter or aquatic. ive got to the point of not wasting blind and the big superpower hit on critters because the normal venom bite does enough. the only time it has trouble are with turtles faster than it
Try Feline Familiar. With Onyx Bite, Stoneskin, Devour it can solo full teams of lvl 25 wild pets all day without needing healing ever. Only ones that might give it some trouble are mechanicals, but there aren't any at high level so thats no issue. :p
my toon only has 300 gold....ill have to get it when the seasonal event happens

Klaital

Post by Klaital » September 15th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Well you don't need to wait for long fortunately as Halloween is just around the corner. :)

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » September 15th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Klaital wrote:Well you don't need to wait for long fortunately as Halloween is just around the corner. :)
not til oktoberfest is over! hic

thats why i didnt buy a pint sized pink pachyderm or a wolpertinger yet

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 15th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Don't forget Day of the Dead if you don't have a Macabre Marionette yet.

Recently, I tried out the Zandalari Anklerender around the Farmlands with pretty good success. It's not as self sufficient as the Feline Familiar, but with a Beast AoE attack and a heal, it has been pretty good. I usually pair it with a pet that has wish, so if it ever gets too low, I swap in the wish pet, lay wish, and swap back. However, I rarely have to do that. I went with Hunting Party, Primal Cry, and Devour. Primal Cry plus Devour kills most critters well, but for non-critters or those rare/uncommon ones that a bit more EXP, hunting party + devour works well. Three are occasions where you have everything on cooldown, but most of the time I was read to swap on the levelling pet then and every once in a while, I just passed since Devour would be ready the next round.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » September 15th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Echinacea wrote:
Klaital wrote:
my toon only has 300 gold....ill have to get it when the seasonal event happens
A cat is great for leveling in the Valley of the Four Winds.
You could for example catch a P/P Snow Cub in the Dwarven starting area, although a Panther Cub (and most other cats) will do. They can devour anything with Claw, Screech, Devour. You might have to heal once every 20 minutes or so.

Edit: I checked your profile. Do NOT use your Cheetah Cub. Your S/S Sand Kitten might work well although it has a weird stat distribution.

Note: I prefer Screech because these pets have survival. You get 1 less hit animation when you are faster.

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » September 16th, 2014, 10:54 am

Awq wrote:Edit: I checked your profile. Do NOT use your Cheetah Cub. Your S/S Sand Kitten might work well although it has a weird stat distribution.

Note: I prefer Screech because these pets have survival. You get 1 less hit animation when you are faster.
whats wrong with my cheetah cub?

Klaital

Post by Klaital » September 16th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Echinacea wrote:
Awq wrote:Edit: I checked your profile. Do NOT use your Cheetah Cub. Your S/S Sand Kitten might work well although it has a weird stat distribution.

Cheetah has all its stat points in speed, which, while nice in pvp, is mostly wasted against wild pets that are not that fast to begin with, you ideally want a cat with high power. You already have the Cornish Rex Cat which is the highest power cat in the game, and quite good for boosting your other pets, against critters especially, however you would need a beast stone to make it rare to get most out of it. You can also get the Panther Cub from an easy quest chain which is rare to start with, and while it doesn't have the most ideal stat distribution, its better than the cheetah at least.

Awq

Post by Awq » September 16th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Echinacea wrote:

There is nothing wrong with your Cheetah Cub! It is one of the highest speed pets in game. This makes the Cheetah Cub quite unique.

It has 390 speed. Although 390 speed could be theoretically amazing, it is often wasted in practice. Speed works through an all or nothing system, the only benefit from speed is being faster. When you fight a pet who has 250 speed, your Cheetah Cub has effectively wasted 140 speed. The speed stats would have been additional attack and health.

When you fight wild pets, you often fight pets with low stats (common pets). The average speed of the wild pets is quite low. This makes high speed quite undesirable for wild fights, as the speed is often wasted (enemy 220 speed, you 390 speed).

The additional health allows you to Claw more often, instead of Devouring.
The additional Attack makes your attacks hit harder. Bigger hits increase the chance that you will kill an enemy in 2 hits instead of 3.
Do not get me wrong. I quite like being faster in wild pet battles. Survival (an ability that some opponents have) lasts 1 less round, and you see fewer animations.

I do not notice much difference between a P/P Snow Cub, Panther Cub or a Cornish Rex Cub. They all play slightly different.
Your speedy Sand Kitten will perform similar, probably.
The Cheetah Cub is simply too fast however. There are rarely any situations where 390 speed has an advantage over 325 speed (in wild battles), assuming you level in the Valley of the Four Winds.

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » September 16th, 2014, 6:26 pm

thanks for the input!! i got the cheetah cub A) because its cool and easy to get and B) because people said to get one for the high speed. i need to find a corresponding hare to match.

my true cat pet is my white kitten which was the first pet i purchased on the market.

this is a new toon on a new server so i started out broke......i like it that way, in WoW at least i can live the American Dream....hard work and effort pays off to get lil bling at 90th level

Awq

Post by Awq » September 16th, 2014, 6:41 pm

The Cheetah Cub isn't a bad pet. It is very unique, and creates diversity to your stable. It can counter some pets that rely on speed, which can be very useful. It just isn't that great for boosting other pets in the Valley of the Four Winds.

I really love the White Kitten. I've tested it, and it isn't nearly as good as some of the other cats, although it can still do the job (less efficiently). It has even lower attack than the Cheetah Cub.
I am sorry to bring bad news.

Klaital

Post by Klaital » September 16th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Why are people so fixated on leveling pets in the valley of the four winds when its not nearly the best place for speed leveling things since not nearly all pets there are lvl 25, and you usually need to move quite a bit between battles to find more to battle against. My personal favorite places for speed leveling pets are Isle of Thunder because ALL pets there are level 25 so you get max xp from each fight, the Shrine Fly shrine in jade forest ,because they respawn so fast you only need to take few steps between fights, and the barrow den in mount hyjal because the grotto voles there likewise respawn really fast, and apart from the occasional moth that can be annoying, the voles and all their adds are really easy to take out, and are still high enough level to level everything to 25.

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » September 16th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Klaital wrote:Why are people so fixated on leveling pets in the valley of the four winds when its not nearly the best place for speed leveling things since not nearly all pets there are lvl 25, and you usually need to move quite a bit between battles to find more to battle against. My personal favorite places for speed leveling pets are Isle of Thunder because ALL pets there are level 25 so you get max xp from each fight, the Shrine Fly shrine in jade forest ,because they respawn so fast you only need to take few steps between fights, and the barrow den in mount hyjal because the grotto voles there likewise respawn really fast, and apart from the occasional moth that can be annoying, the voles and all their adds are really easy to take out, and are still high enough level to level everything to 25.
Easily my fave spot to PL carry pets is the riverbed area in front of Aki the Chosen where the water skimmers hang out. They are usually all-aquatic teams, with the occasional Shrine Fly thrown in. The best part is you really only need one pet to execute the carries indefinitely while burning the teams down at the same time; Chi-Chi. They respawn pretty fast as well and there are plenty to fight. Just keep Tranquility running and she will be at full health or close to it after every fight. The best part is that the skimmers will usually open with something that a low-level pet can survive, such as Soothe, Poison Spit, Cleansing Rain, or Pump. Every now and again, you will run into one that leads off with Aqua Jet, but they are the exception, not the rule. Also has the perk of being close to the trainer, as well as Shademaster Sidow who can be killed for a chance at goodies.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 16th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Klaital wrote:Why are people so fixated on leveling pets in the valley of the four winds when its not nearly the best place for speed leveling things since not nearly all pets there are lvl 25, and you usually need to move quite a bit between battles to find more to battle against. My personal favorite places for speed leveling pets are Isle of Thunder because ALL pets there are level 25 so you get max xp from each fight, the Shrine Fly shrine in jade forest ,because they respawn so fast you only need to take few steps between fights, and the barrow den in mount hyjal because the grotto voles there likewise respawn really fast, and apart from the occasional moth that can be annoying, the voles and all their adds are really easy to take out, and are still high enough level to level everything to 25.
A lot of people pick VotFW due to the safety for level 1 alts coupled with the particular pets there. Personally I found the pets around Gorespine to be the fastest location since they are all 24 and 25 and respawn insanely fast without having to run around at all. However, they are in aggro range of scorpions, so usually only safe for higher level toons.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829