Good all-around Beast pet?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skrail
Pet Score:241
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Good all-around Beast pet?

Post by Skrail » August 31st, 2014, 7:26 am

Hi :D I just started out in the world of Pet Battling/Collecting. Been cramming all this info in to my brain over the past few days and learned quite a lot. I am in a little bit of a bind though and I can't seem to find a good Beast pet. I'm just looking for something that's good all around...nothing too niche for certain tamers or quests. A lot of people have suggested the Cheetah Cub...but I don't know if I'm sold on it yet. Currently running the Sunfur Panda. Also heard good things about foxes. So I'm coming here for a little bit of help if anyone can give me some words of advice, that would be great! :D thanks.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Re: Good all-around Beast pet?

Post by Kendrah » August 31st, 2014, 7:49 am

Hard question! I don't think there's just one. My favorites are Zand toenibbler, Xu-fu, Spiders, foxes, veng por, direhorns.

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » August 31st, 2014, 9:53 am

Mr. Grubbs is pretty solid overall, especially against wild pets and tamers, less good for pvp but still decent there too. Its easy to get too with a bit of farming in eastern plaguelands (it drops from the bags you can loot from any mobs in EPL while you have Fiona's Lucky Charm buff). Jungle Grub that you can capture from krasarang wilds has exactly same skills if you don't want to spend time to level Grubbs all the way from level 1, although finding a rare grub might take you longer than leveling Grubbs who starts as rare. :)

How to use him is very simple, use the abilities Consume, Acidic Goo, and Leap. Keep acidic goo on the opponent all the time, use consume whenever its not on cd, and use leap as filler, which makes simple rotation like this acidic goo, consume, leap, consume. Just rinse and repeat that, it makes Grubbs insanely durable because not only does he have high health to start with, he heals a lot with consume, while also doing damage at the same time, and both acidic goo and the beast racial increase both the amount of damage and healing done by consume.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » August 31st, 2014, 10:28 am

Right now the beast family has my favourite pets. But it is starting to get a bit silly, dangerous and stupid when I more and more got with three beasts. One mech and I am screwed. :) I will focus mainly on PvP aspect, can't really say that I have any general PvE beast pet.

Mr. Grubbs and the other beast Maggots are very tough guys. I rarely use them though, but I do have a spot for them in PvE. There is one player on my meta that uses maggots and I always find it fun when I run into him/her. It's a hard nut to crack.

Xu-Fu can be a real pain. But the problem with any Prowl pet is that the move is telegraphed in advance and if your opponent has any kind of avoid/stun you just wasted a lot of turns. That said I truly love to stun a prowling Xu-Fu. But without avoid/stun Xu-Fu is a tough customer.

S/S breed Death Adder Hatchling is probably one of the most powerful beast pets available, but it has lowish health and does have some counters. The main problem is that a fast blinding poison is a very powerful move in PvP and have many uses.

My own favourite beast family pets are:
1. Vengeful Porcupette. This beast is immensely useful in the current environment. It has strong attacks vs undead and it is a good counter against Death Adders and Flying pets. It does have some really tough counters, but I find this one does really well against most pets.

2. P/P Baby Ape. This powerful pet hit insanely hard. It can solo a non-demolishing Anubisath Idol and a Crawdad on it's own. It just hits that hard. It also comes with a useful stun(hi Xu-Fu). There are some Apes that are faster which will get more use out of the stun but 325 power of the Baby Ape just hits that much harder.

3. H/H Elder Python. Also another hit that can hit insanely hard. It does have some issues with hit rate. But it has poison which is strong vs mechancials, a stacking attack that ramps up really quickly and a hit-hard 2-turn slow which is very handy.

A couple of more I really like.

325 power Worg. With Flurry, Crouch and Dazzling Dance it can take out any undead really quick and has no trouble handling Decoys of Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling.

P/S Arctic Fox Kit. Similar to the powerful Worg. But the 289 speed and Dazzling Dance means it will be faster than Death Adder Hatchlings and can handle them pretty well.

Kovok. I run it with Poison Fang, Digest Brains, Black Claw. Black Claw will pretty much nullify any Sandstorm/Shell and is not only useful on the Kovok itself. I also love how the Kovok can handle any Sunflower/Blossoming Ancient/Crawdad, and come out on top.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » August 31st, 2014, 10:36 am

Vek wrote:Xu-Fu can be a real pain. But the problem with any Prowl pet is that the move is telegraphed in advance and if your opponent has any kind of avoid/stun you just wasted a lot of turns. That said I truly love to stun a prowling Xu-Fu. But without avoid/stun Xu-Fu is a tough customer.
But that's the beauty of Xu-Fu and prowl. Prowl gives you two attacks and there's that lovely blessed resilience. Feeding with a prowl while having him on a sunlight team is awesome. You just feed on the next turn and get like 1k HP back. XD

Skrail

Post by Skrail » August 31st, 2014, 10:53 am

Wow! Thank you all for the info! Much appreciated! Didn't think I would get much feedback but you guys helped a ton. Will definitely be looking in to picking up these pets. Now I'm not lost anymore :P

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » August 31st, 2014, 1:16 pm

Since you said you're just starting out, here's my suggestions for a few easy to use, easy to get beasts that are decent for PVE:

- Spiders - Most of them have the same abilities and they're all over the place. If possible go for a all power (P/P) one. The abilities I generally use are Strike, Brittle Webbing, Leech Life. The self healing gives it pretty good lasting power in wild battles when you're going through a bunch of them and don't want to heal in between each one. The downside is those same abilities make it a poor choice for a capture team, since you don't want Brittle Webbing to accidentally cause a wild pet to kill itself.

- Direhorns - The Direhorn Runt is the easiest to get and should be fairly cheap in most AHs (a few hundred gold). I use Direhorns in 3 of my tamer teams as well, so I find them very useful. The trihorn shield can pretty much nullify any multi-hit attack (like Stampede) and all the other abilities hit decently hard, so just pick the ones you like (I generally use Trihorn Charge and Horn Attack).

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » September 1st, 2014, 1:15 am

Kendrah wrote:But that's the beauty of Xu-Fu and prowl. Prowl gives you two attacks and there's that lovely blessed resilience. Feeding with a prowl while having him on a sunlight team is awesome. You just feed on the next turn and get like 1k HP back. XD
A stun or dodge will completely nullify Prowl and resilience is not a factor since Prowl has a 5 turn cooldown(except maybe on food coma). Of course other 1 turn evade moves are not as useful.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » September 1st, 2014, 4:19 am

Vek wrote:A stun or dodge will completely nullify Prowl and resilience is not a factor since Prowl has a 5 turn cooldown(except maybe on food coma). Of course other 1 turn evade moves are not as useful.
Hm. I remember the other getting stunned after having cast prowl and I had that prowl. But I'm probably wrong there. I'll go check that out. As for a dodge, well, if you're running a class that has a dodge then I wouldn't use an attack. I'd just pass. I just expect that you'd be smart enough to use a dodge if you had it. XD

Goldenbelmont
Pet Score:2314
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Goldenbelmont » September 2nd, 2014, 7:40 pm

I'm having fun with Feline Familiar. Havent tested in pvp but for pve its pretty amazing.

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » September 2nd, 2014, 9:23 pm

Goldenbelmont wrote:I'm having fun with Feline Familiar. Havent tested in pvp but for pve its pretty amazing.
He is a lot like Xu-Fu. He telegraphs but can hit like a truck.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » September 2nd, 2014, 10:40 pm

If you're into mindlessly leveling pets to get them to 25, Feline Familiar is the ultimate to have on your team. Combination of a good shield, a hard hit, and healing.

Must admit I don't use mine much for trainers and PvP though.

Goldenbelmont
Pet Score:2314
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Goldenbelmont » September 3rd, 2014, 12:35 am

Ranok wrote:If you're into mindlessly leveling pets to get them to 25, Feline Familiar is the ultimate to have on your team. Combination of a good shield, a hard hit, and healing.

Must admit I don't use mine much for trainers and PvP though.
I've found my Feline Familiar more used for soloing the critter pets around Lucky Yi leveling pets when all my good spots are taken in the Vale.

Zerohour
Pet Score:10272
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Zerohour » September 7th, 2014, 12:54 pm

As mentioned Feline Familiar is great all around for Wild Pet Battles. I hardly ever need to swap her out and I tend to grind Valley and Kras. The reason is she's strong against critters or strong against flyers, has a high shield, and is able to leech easily (except against flyers, but she nearly one-shots them so 2 rounds gets you a leech).

The good news is she's going to be available again soon (Halloween), the bad news is that's a month out as of this writing. If you're needing something now, they are going to be expensive.

Skrail

Post by Skrail » September 9th, 2014, 10:35 am

Yeah I'm definitely going to pick it up on Halloween! Heard a lot of good things about it here and from others. I ended up sticking with a P/P Widow Hatchling as my first one to 25 (Brittle Webbing OP OP! LOL). I have picked up every one of the beasts mentioned in this thread though...besides Xu-fu :P Thanks again!

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » September 9th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Skrail wrote:Yeah I'm definitely going to pick it up on Halloween! Heard a lot of good things about it here and from others. I ended up sticking with a P/P Widow Hatchling as my first one to 25 (Brittle Webbing OP OP! LOL). I have picked up every one of the beasts mentioned in this thread though...besides Xu-fu :P Thanks again!
Feline Familiar is good. I however prefer a P/P (Snow Cub/Black Tabby Cat) or P/S cat (Darkmoon Cub) for leveling other pets in the wild. The shield is a wasted turn and Pounce can backfire when you are slower. I've tried Feline Familiar and it was less efficient.
Feline Familiar is a better all round pet though.

Klaital
Pet Score:4516

Post by Klaital » September 9th, 2014, 6:09 pm

I never use pounce on my feline familiar, Onyx Bite is so much better, one shots most flying wild pets. :) I use Onyx Bite, Stoneskin, Devour for my feline familiar and its practically unkillable in wild pet battles, although in most cases the stoneskin is bit of an overkill as devour already heals so much.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 9th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Klaital wrote:I never use pounce on my feline familiar, Onyx Bite is so much better, one shots most flying wild pets. :) I use Onyx Bite, Stoneskin, Devour for my feline familiar and its practically unkillable in wild pet battles, although in most cases the stoneskin is bit of an overkill as devour already heals so much.
Same here. I never use pounce. Devour provides longevity with the healing and is too valuable when levelling. Pounce is overkill for wilds most of the time as well.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504

Post by Rioriel » September 10th, 2014, 10:25 am

Baby Ape for me!

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » September 11th, 2014, 1:10 pm

My go-to beast for wild battles is... wait for it... [pet]Amethyst Spiderling[/pet].

Poison Spit, Brittle Webbing, Leech Life. The thing lives forever and kills bugs dead.

Anytime I go against something with a swarm ability (grasshoppers, spiderlings, chicken flock, goat stampede, etc) this thing is a beast.

He is a staple of my epic teams, against Aki, Cho, the fish guy, etc. If you are leveling around half-hill there are tons of grasshoppers and this pet is amazing against them.

Now I don't always use him as my beast, for example I use a bucktooth/baby blizz/kun lai for the epic grub fight (I suck at names) but the fast version of the spider is my go-to, for sure.