tamer speed challenge (win 20k!)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us
Re: tamer speed challenge (win 20k!)

Post by Poofah » August 11th, 2014, 6:50 pm

I'm happy to give you a spineclaw (you can pick breed), or azure+crimson, or 5k, your choice. I have a toon on Madoran already if you choose pets so I can just send them there.

Blixtiya
Pet Score:10423
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Blixtiya » August 11th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Id love a p/p spineclaw if possible then

Poofah

Post by Poofah » August 11th, 2014, 11:57 pm

Totally possible -- should be in your mail on Madoran.

Blixtiya
Pet Score:10423
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Blixtiya » August 12th, 2014, 3:30 am

thank you kindly :)

Sepsis
Pet Score:4668
BattleTag®:Kaivic#1622
Realm:Gnomeregan-us

Post by Sepsis » August 12th, 2014, 12:52 pm

I've been doing something similar with carry teams; trying to get the most efficient, least RNG involved teams to cruise through power leveling. This has been a fun change of pace.

I managed to get Mo'ruk down in 5, though got oh so close to getting him in 4 (and I'm sure I can with some luck).
http://imgur.com/wrbPJXR

Poofah

Post by Poofah » August 12th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Not bad!

I'd like to know your team/general strat. Was this essentially RI/armageddon/armageddon/Blessed Hammer/Falling Murloc? Did you have to fish for crits? I think our strats are likely to be similar and I'm wondering if I should have just tried the fight a few more times...

Anyway, lmk your Illidan(H) toon.

Sepsis

Post by Sepsis » August 12th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Yeah, you got it. I couldn't find anything else that came close. I think it's possible without crits if both armageddons land at the very high end, highly unlikely though.
4 turns is definitely possible, I had the moth down with armageddon crits a few times, but the grub kept clinging to life at sub 10 hp.

I worked a bit on other trainers with different strategies but the closest I got was a tie. Using the same teams and fishing for crits isn't very satisfying though, so I'll get back to you if I make any progress with different strategies.

My horde on Illidan is Ferakah.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » August 12th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Yes, my experience was the same. That worm has enough health that you need both armageddons to hit on the high end, or one of them has to crit. And then the turtle often has 700+ health left so you need a Falling Murloc crit or an armageddon crit on him too. And when you do get the armageddon crits, then Murk sometimes gets slept by the moth or stunned by the turtle. I got fed up and settled for 6 rounds and apparently it's cost me.

I think a tie is pretty good on many of those other tamers, I'm curious what different strats you might have used. I almost always fished for one crit, but not 2 crits (or crit+high damage range). I'm especially looking for a better way to beat the tamers with elementals, where armageddon is nerfed. I still used armageddon on those fights though -- it's just that strong, and the free swap is really valuable too.

Sepsis

Post by Sepsis » August 13th, 2014, 6:01 pm

I put some ideas to the test today, results tell me (unsurprisingly) the damage from the RI+Armageddon combo is pretty much impossible to beat. I had some promising attempts but didn't have the patience to try to see them through... I did finish a couple though.

Zusshi (7 turns) I tried lots of teams, this one showed the most promise.
Unborn Val'kyr: Curse > Ascension
Blackfuse: Bombing Run > Armageddon
Lil' XT: Heartbroken > Tantrum (with luck everything should be dead by turn 2)

Aki (8 turns) This one gave me success early, probably a better team out there.
Moon Moon: Howl > Moon Dance > Bite (crit for the kill) > Howl (dead)
Murkalot: Falling Murloc (for the kill) > RI
Anything with Nocturnal Strike

I do believe I am done for now, I think I spent a wee bit too much of my day on this.
Thanks for keeping pet battles interesting till WoD, for finding a use for all these bandages I have stockpiled, and for the 20k. :D

Poofah

Post by Poofah » August 13th, 2014, 6:40 pm

yw for the 20k, and thanks for playing along!

I think Zusshi is the most approachable at this point too, I might play around with that comp a bit. Aki is hard because the cricket does a teamheal if you let it live more than 3 rounds, which undoes most of an Armageddon, and another self-heal if it lasts 4.

Interestingly, the current kill times all follow this formula:

#turns = 6 + #elementals - #beasts

I think that says something about the reliance on Armageddon. :D