Beating strong triple-comps

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us
Beating strong triple-comps

Post by Genome » July 29th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Things have been quiet on the boards lately so I have decided to post some counters to strong triple-comps that I have been running into lately that are very effective for me. Here are a few of them:

Triple Adder - Counter is Skywisp Moth (1,1,2) / Clockwork Gnome (2,2,1) / Lil' Bling (2,2,1) - This counter makes the triple adder comp a joke. Since adders rely on speed to cripple you, the best option is to beat them at their own game. The moth is faster than s/s adders with the flyer racial, and can therefore put Thunderstorm up before the adder can blind it, and take off a massive chunk of the adder's health while it does so because TS is strong vs. beasts. If the adder opens with BP, switch immediately to the CG. If he opens with PF, then cocoon and try to tempt him into a BP so he won't effectively Blind->Puncture your CG when he switches in. Either way, the goal is to keep the moth at high health so he remains faster than the adders. Now just drop a turret and watch the fireworks. If done right, Bling never even gets used until maybe a few hits left on the last adder, and he is very durable with Extra Plating. What really makes this comp work is that the CG's turret hits through BP, and is strong vs. beasts, as is the bonus lightning dmg.

Triple Crow (Dread Hatchling) - Counter is Skywisp Moth (1,1,2)/Droplet of Y'Shaarj (1,1,1) / Lil' Bling (2,2,1) - This one relies a bit on the triple-runner just trying to abuse CD/NS on mostly auto-pilot (which is really the point of this comp anyway), but it is still effective regardless. Open with the Droplet. Most players aren't used to seeing him and therefore don't know his skillset (if not using add-ons of course). First move put up Acid Rain. While this will likely overwrite the CD almost invariably used by crows on turn one, the real purpose is for the buff it gives to Dreadful Breath, and the initial aoe dmg it gives. Since the droplet is an Elemental, the CD blind doesn't work on him anyway, so hopefully NS will miss, but even if it doesn't, at least it's not a sure thing. Now use DB. Against the triple teams that I have played, the other player normally brings the next crow in to reapply CD and use NS right away, so you should be able to get at least the full cycle of DB off, which will take 300-400 health off the entire crow team, plus the 140 dmg from AR. The point of the AoE is to peel the flyer racial from the crows, which really hurts them. Now bring in Bling, put up extra plating, and spam MiR and Inflation until he is dead. This should take out at least one or two birds, as he will be faster than them after a hit or two. Bring in the moth for cleanup as he will be faster than the below-half health birds. You can try to TS before bringing Bling up for some serious added dmg, but I wouldn't advise this as triple crows can change the weather easily, and you want the moth at max health. Really, about any flyer will work with this but I love the synergy of the Skywisp with the mechs.

I will add more if there is interest from the community. Please feel free to add you own counters to triple-comps, but if you do, please explain why they work so we best know how to use them :)

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Re: Beating strong triple-comps

Post by Kel » July 30th, 2014, 10:36 am

On the Droplet, are you looking for the P/P breed?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Genome

Post by Genome » July 30th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Kel wrote:On the Droplet, are you looking for the P/P breed?
Well, I have the P/S breed, but I don't think that it matters overly. In facing the triple flyers, I would think that the P/P would be best as you won't be faster than them anyway, so you may as well get a few extra points of dmg in.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » July 30th, 2014, 12:48 pm

I have a triple DAH guy on my meta. Whenever I run into him/her I bring out triple Vengeful Porcupettes or three Crocolisks. I also like to use a Rascal Bot against triple DAH. Plot Twist will hit 2 out of 3 times through blind and then finish off with Armageddon when not blinded for 500 damage per adder.

Triple Crow(or three darkness birds). I love to use Spectral Tiger Cub or more commonly found Ghostly Skull/Spectral Porcupette. Just spectral strike and watch their birds go down. Then switch to a weather changing elemental or a dragonkin(right now i kind of like Death Talon Whelpguard). After Call Darkness they do pitiful damage against dragonkin. I also like triple Vengeful Porcupette against these teams, but often I get screwed by darkness misses(either my own or my opponent missing me with spirit spikes up). Not that I usually run Xu-Fu but Prowl + Moonlight is quite nice, especially since you take weak damage from Call Darkness.

Anyone got any good counters to Triple Moths or Triple Anubs? I do have some teams that work, but perhaps nothing ideal. I guess a BONESTORM team would weaken the Idols a lot even through Sandstorm, don't think I have tried that one yet. Often I just bring in a Mr.Wiggles and after one Idol is down and Mr.Wiggles is still above 50% they usually run.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » July 30th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Just ran into the triple DAH guy. Was trying out a new team since being inspired to try the Magic Lamp from a thread over at Blizz US forums. I ran Magic Lamp, Qiraji Guardling and Vengeful Porcupette. I could definitely have played much better, just getting a feel for this team with only a couple of battles under by belt. But still the Vengeful Porcupette on it's own could probably handle at least one and a half(possibly two) DAH, and with Wish keeping it at full health it really took care of the DAH's. While Sandstorm from the Guardling kept poison damage to a minimum.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » July 30th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Vek wrote:. . .Triple Anubs. . .
I vote that this team be referred to from this point on as Triple Noobs!!! :lol:
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » August 6th, 2014, 10:18 am

Triple Fossilized hatchling. This team can be annoying, especially if you run any humanoid. I often run into similar teams that are either comprised of one kind of pet or a mix with Creepy Crate and/or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling. My go to choice against MPD, the Prairie Mouse with poison(strong against mechs) and flurry, takes strong damage from the hatchling so it will not last very long. But Wolves are just excellent against all three of these pets.

I favour the P/P Worg. 325 power and with dazzling dance you will have 325 speed, this means you flurry through decoy in 1 turn and you will 2-3 times with strong hits against the undead. Often the low health(for being undead) hatchling wont have time to heal or even get any use of the heal. With Crouch up you will be able to chew through almost all three.

There is a nice H/H Worg with 1700+ health if you feel you need more staying power.
Or a really nice P/S alpine foxling that will be faster than DAH while dancing, so it will stand a good chance against one of them as well.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » August 7th, 2014, 8:31 am

My favorite is a Lava Crab with Burn, Cauterize, and Magma Wave vs. triple mechanical teams, especially 3x Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling. It also does pretty well vs. triple darkness thanks to the elemental racial.

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Adezero » August 7th, 2014, 6:39 pm

If you're just using that droplet for aoe vs triple flier teams, why not use a kirin tor familiar and spam arcane explosion?

Genome

Post by Genome » August 7th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Adezero wrote:If you're just using that droplet for aoe vs triple flier teams, why not use a kirin tor familiar and spam arcane explosion?
I have used the Familiar in that way before, but the droplet has the perk of the Elemental racial here vs. NS, which can really screw up a crow team with NS becoming a %50 hit chance ability. While the magic racial is actually decent (for a change!) vs. an NS team, I think the Droplet edges it out in this strat. The KTF is an excellent flyer killer as well. Really, either will work fairly well, but the KTF has to be careful not to get juked on the initial weather change, something the Droplet doesn't need to worry much about.

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Adezero » August 7th, 2014, 11:51 pm

the familiar is elemental

Genome

Post by Genome » August 8th, 2014, 10:16 am

Adezero wrote:the familiar is elemental
So he is. Then feel free to use him instead of the droplet.

Logansfury
Top Rater
Pet Score:4755
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Logansfury » June 2nd, 2016, 1:27 am

Sorry to necro an old thread but im running into a lot of triple teams lately.

Mostly, 3x [pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet]

I see the Lava Crab suggestion in this thread, but what other two pets is the crab paired with please?

Logansfury
Top Rater
Pet Score:4755
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Logansfury » June 2nd, 2016, 2:10 pm

Biscuit wrote:Oddly enough, triple Bone Serpents will wreck that MPD team.

If you don't want to run a triple team yourself, stick with one Bone Serpent and add a S/S Prarie Mouse and a S/S Nightshade Sproutling.
I happen to have a 3x HH Bone Serpent team. This opens up another use for it, Thank you!

As it was very wee hours (3-4am local) queues had dried up and I was only being paired against the 3x MPD guy every 10-15 mins, I had to come up with something specific. I went with HH Lava Crab, Lil Rag, HH Fel Flame. The 2 Magma Waves and multiple ele attacks, along with two 1806 hp pets did fantastic.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » June 3rd, 2016, 7:03 am

Is there anything that will reliably beat 3 H/H Bone Serpents? One player on the EU forums swears by them, and while I can easily find a draw against them, I am stumped about how to argue for a team that beats them.

It's a depressing thought that the optimum game is two teams of Serpents endlessly drawing against each other.

Wootzy
Top Rater
Pet Score:5165
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Wootzy » June 3rd, 2016, 9:20 am

Gráinne wrote:
Is there anything that will reliably beat 3 H/H Bone Serpents? One player on the EU forums swears by them, and while I can easily find a draw against them, I am stumped about how to argue for a team that beats them.

It's a depressing thought that the optimum game is two teams of Serpents endlessly drawing against each other.
I hardly ever use specific PvP counter teams. I prefer to use my strongest allround teams most of the time.

One of my teams that beats triple Bones is Bloss.Ancient (Ironbark, Autumn Breeze, Sunlight), Frostwolf Ghostpup (Scratch, Song, Ghostly Bite), Vengeful Porcupette (Powerball, Spirit Spikes, Flank).

One way to do it is starting with Bl.Ancient --> Ironbark first --> Sunlight when Darkness is up --> Autumn Breeze to reduce hit change and heal. Switch to Frostpup --> Scratch --> Ghostly bite. Switch to Bloss.Ancient again and repeat. Switch to Veng.Porc for big damage, the beast racial is up faster due to Sunlight. Frostwolf is a good sweeper. Works for me! :D

Wootzy
Top Rater
Pet Score:5165
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Wootzy » June 3rd, 2016, 9:39 am

Anyone got any good counters to Triple Moths or Triple Anubs?
Triple Moths:
Royal Peachick (Savage Talon, Arcane Storm, Feign Death)
Nexus Whelping P/S 2x (Frost Breath, Arcane Storm, Mana Surge)

Triple Anubs:
Bone Serpent H/H 3x (Bone Barrage, Darkness, Noc.Strike)

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » June 3rd, 2016, 12:20 pm

Wootzy wrote:One of my teams that beats triple Bones is Bloss.Ancient (Ironbark, Autumn Breeze, Sunlight), Frostwolf Ghostpup (Scratch, Song, Ghostly Bite), Vengeful Porcupette (Powerball, Spirit Spikes, Flank).

One way to do it is starting with Bl.Ancient --> Ironbark first --> Sunlight when Darkness is up --> Autumn Breeze to reduce hit change and heal. Switch to Frostpup --> Scratch --> Ghostly bite. Switch to Bloss.Ancient again and repeat. Switch to Veng.Porc for big damage, the beast racial is up faster due to Sunlight. Frostwolf is a good sweeper. Works for me! :D
I'm going to have to calculate that out.

Ironbark / Call Darkness
Sunlight / Swap
Autumn Breeze / Call Darkness
Swap / Bone Barrage
Scratch / Nocturnal Strike

I had completely forgotten about the Porcupette, though. :shock: