Pet Battles feeling quite balanced?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Lordy
Pet Score: 6613
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Pet Battles feeling quite balanced?

Post by Lordy » May 16th, 2019, 6:30 am

Hi All,

I've noticed a lot on my meta these days that pet battling PvP seems a lot more balanced with no single teams you have to be crushed by over and over again. You do of course see more of the pets designated "Tier 1/2" on popular websites but no awful Graves-Weebom-Weebom combos or endless Terroclaws fight after fight like it used to be

Do you guys think that this is because the most OP pets/combo's have now all been nerfed into something like balance or some other reason? I though it maybe indicated a growing Pet Battle player base with only limited online resources to steer new battlers to the most OP pets/teams? I don't know if there is a growing player base of course, though the que keeps popping pretty fast even at the most unlikely times of the day or night.

Thoughts?

Gráinne
Pet Score: 6346
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Re: Pet Battles feeling quite balanced?

Post by Gráinne » May 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Maybe you should avoid the B-word in case someone comes hunting. :)

People can certainly point out individual pets that are imba. TCS and Hermit were deliberately engineered to be overpowered. I have no idea why. I wish I had an insight into their reasons.

Still, overall I agree with you. While I haven't PvPed much in BfA, my sense is that the meta is much healthier than it was in Legion, which was in turn much healthier than it was in the latter half of WoD.

The devs did a very nice job with taking off the top of the Legion meta in the nerfs, leaving BS and TC still usable, though not top tier, and Clonedance still viable ... I was afraid they had overnerfed that, but it's still in the mix.

Lordy
Pet Score: 6613
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Post by Lordy » May 17th, 2019, 6:40 am

Yep the Meta is awesome Grainne :D

Yesterday just for fun I tried an S/S Rabbit, A P/S Adder and an H/B Frog and got 2 wins out of 4 games! That would have been unthinkable in the WOD meta. I mean I know Rabbits are just fine and dandy but you don't see many bog standard snakes and frogs in PvP for a damn good reason lol. However they seem to hold their own in todays meta just fine. I think for the first time in a long time you really can play any pet you like without the need to carry them with a broken Tier 0 team mate.

Gráinne
Pet Score: 6346
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Post by Gráinne » May 19th, 2019, 5:41 am

So with this encouragment, I popped back into the queue on this fine Sunday morning (in Pandaria, levelling a couple of pets) and ran into ... double-TCS.

This is why we can't have nice things.