Let's Talk PvP!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu
Re: Let's Talk PvP!

Post by Gráinne » March 20th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Biscuit wrote:I think it’s obvious that we ALL agree PVP needs better rewards to survive (and maybe even thrive) in the long run.
Agreed, but rewards alone won't be enough. It also needs to use a lot of pets to avoid the Same Ol' Same Ol' Dirty Dozen syndrome.

Imagine Blizzard made The Bestest Rewards Of All Rewards Ever for PvP, but did nothing else. What happens next? The sky is eternally darkened with mindless Bone Serpents clashing by night for eternity.
Nagini wrote:some measure in place that rewards(rather than enforces, or both) variable teams
Sure, they could do rewards styled on Family Brawler, but with different criteria, like "Pets beginning with 'M'" or "Wild Pets from Kalimdor". It belatedly occurs to be that a team of three Rabbits would simultaneously qualify for Kalimdor, EK, Outland, Northrend, Draenor and Broken Isles!. How to partition the set? Hmmm .....
Nagini wrote:perhaps even rewarding matches played instead of won
That is open to abuse, though.

My idea for an on-ramp in that direction is a weekly quest to defeat 30 pets in PvP in place of win 10 battles. This would allow newer players, and people using weaker teams, to make progress, at least, with every battle. It is crushing to play 10 games and lose 9, scoring only 1 towards the 10 wins needed. If the same player had killed even 15 pets in the process, he would have a reason to continue.

Nachtblau
Pet Score:8328
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Nachtblau » March 20th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Gráinne wrote:Nachtblau, there is no process. :) Seriously.
:lol: THANK YOU! That is exactly the type of guide I was looking for and didn't find anywhere. I don't mind losing, but I hate not knowing what to expect.

And ha, the Doom/Haunt strategy seems already ubiquitous in PvE pet battles. :roll: Of course it also works pretty well. Like the Zandalari Black Claw army...

Nachtblau
Pet Score:8328
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Nachtblau » March 20th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Biscuit wrote:Three queues: Ranked, Random and Free-style (current system)

Gives players multiple options on how they want to PVP.
I really like that idea! More options are always good. :) And better rewards... There are way too many pet achievements without any rewards.

Anubishaman
Top Rater
Pet Score:6715
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Anubishaman » March 21st, 2018, 3:36 am

+1 for ranked pet pvp. also maybe e-sport?

But with rules like no 3 of the same pet. Short of like MtG bans certain cards that are too powerful or are part of a non-stop combo.

My nemesis is healing teams, I sometimes win against them but takes too damn long. Also I would never play a healing team, cause it seems so boring to swap>heal>swap>heal...pfff

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » March 21st, 2018, 7:40 am

Even something like the call to arms bags that you get as tanks or healers from dungeons would really help imo especially if they rewarded extremely rare pets but would work as they are. You’d at least get a reward for queuing up if there’s a long wait time.

I’m just hoping there will be an overhaul of the PvP quests as they aren’t really that relevant nowadays.

Drlambda
Pet Score:5543
Realm:Arthas-eu

Post by Drlambda » March 21st, 2018, 8:04 am

Rosqo wrote:I’m just hoping there will be an overhaul of the PvP quests as they aren’t really that relevant nowadays.
Hey, free xp for my toons is very relevant!

Nah, i'm just kidding. An overhaul would be greatly appreciated. Make it a 5 win daily and give it a 1% chance to drop a rare pet, maybe even an existing one so people won't go "Now i'm forced to do it yadda yadda"
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » March 21st, 2018, 8:50 am

It’s just crazy the fastest way to earn pet rewards is with the shoulder enchant and killing mobs. Hopefully they can bring actual battling to the same level if not more.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 27th, 2018, 10:22 am

Gráinne wrote:2. Your first pet doesn't (necessarily) go first. This is really hard for people who do PvE to get used to. When your opponent materialises, you will size up his team, figure which pet you expect him to start with, and then choose which of your pets you want to start with. You must choose: your first pet will not march out automatically.
wrong! when you dont choose any pets and let the time you have to chose run out your first pet WILL go first.

Apart from that: Welcome Nachtblau!
#1 for pvp is: only playing pvp gets you experience in pvp.
Only playing pvp will ie teach you that if you have two haunt pets going at each other with haunt that one will haunt the other and the other dies instantly.

And yeah expect to lose, a very LOT :twisted:

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » March 27th, 2018, 10:26 am

Possum440 wrote:What we need is some real skill competition, that is random pets chosen for two players to battle. No meta, no clue as to what you will use and the randomness of your pet pool, your entire pool, wherever you think you can hide them to put odds in your favor will be used, no trying to fudge. Caged pets on alts and in your bank would be used also to prevent slimming down your pool to try and gain an edge, which many would try.
As fun as this sounds this would heavily disadvantage players with LOTS of pets. :lol: but bring it on :D

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » March 27th, 2018, 10:30 am

Anubishaman wrote:My most successful team is:
[url]https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/elemental/elementals/magma-rageling/[/url] (1,2,2)
[url]https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/elemental/elementals/fel-flame/[/url] (H/S 1,2,1)
[url]https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/elemental/miscellaneous/blazehound/[/url] (2,2,2)
On the other hand picking 3 pets out of the same family leaves you wide open to people with aquatic attacks.

Anubishaman
Top Rater
Pet Score:6715
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Anubishaman » November 9th, 2018, 5:58 am

I have won multiple aquatic teams with this one, despite the disadvantage. Also not many play with full aquatic pets (it is slightly dangerous team to play because of the many flying abilities)

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » November 9th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Put a dragonhawk in your team with quills and conflagration if you wanted the team better round Vs aquatics or critters.