Tamer achievements

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Chaminade
Pet Score:8677
Realm:Anetheron-us
Tamer achievements

Post by Chaminade » June 27th, 2017, 7:09 am

I am fairly new to pet battling, but I have worked hard on my collection in the past few weeks. It still seems like I am missing some vital pets, because the Legion pet battle achievements are giving me some issues. I am unable to kill Flummox with Aquatics, Elementals, and Mechanicals. Merayl is an issue with Elementals, and Beasts. What Elementals, Aquatics, and Mechanicals do you recommend?

Also, there are some pet tamers that I haven't encountered at all. Is their appearance on the Broken Shore completely random?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13224
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Tamer achievements

Post by Gráinne » June 27th, 2017, 9:54 am

Welcome to battling!

Some Family Familiar achievements can be tough.

wow-petguide.com presents all the best common strats for Family Familiar.
https://wow-petguide.com/index.php?m=FamilyFamiliar

From there, I added up the number of times each pet is used in the main strat for each battle. The result is, I think, as good a priority list as a new battler would find.
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16391&p=131412#p131412

Yes, the tamers show up at random, so it can take quite a while to get through them all.

Chaminade

Post by Chaminade » June 27th, 2017, 11:34 am

Thank you for posting that list. That gives me a pretty good idea of pets I am still missing.

I wonder if anybody actually accomplished the achievement yet.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » June 27th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Oh yes. You get the Nightmare Treant for completing it, and according to the pet page, 3.1% of members have it.

https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/elemental/plant-life/nightmare-treant/

If you look back though the forums, you will see many posts about it, especially from people wanting their last couple of tamers to be up. :)

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » June 28th, 2017, 1:31 am

Chaminade wrote:I wonder if anybody actually accomplished the achievement yet.
FF-achievement takes EXTREMELY long time to complete..
I completed it 22/1-17, without missing a single day (apart from the first week or so, before I had my first 110).
It took another 3 months (16/4-17) until I had done the rest (not every fight is needed for the achievement).

This was done on a single toon...
If you have more than one 110, time will decrease drastically, as you can do the same tamer (but different family) on every toon..

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » June 28th, 2017, 4:02 am

It went a lot faster at the start of the expansion.

Originally, you could do the world quest with the tamer, and then battle him again and again with the same character. You didn't get more quest rewards, but you did get credit for that tamer/family for the achievement. So you could geet all families for a tamer in one day.

But Blizzard nerfed it, and then we were all muttering imprecations on whatever RNG or glitch was keeping tamers from appearing - especially Flummox and Varenne - and Durian I think was a holdout for some people?

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 28th, 2017, 5:43 am

Gráinne wrote:But Blizzard nerfed it
That's not really a nerf... that's a bug fix. The exploit was clearly unintended.

What is intended though is that you can do each one on multiple characters. I had 2 110's in September and 3 in October. Finished it up in... I want to say November but that could be inaccurate and I cannot double check at the moment. The more 110's you have, the faster it goes as you can knockoff multiple ones per day. 10 110's would only require each tamer once! :D

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 28th, 2017, 6:09 am

Gilneas wrote:
Gráinne wrote:But Blizzard nerfed it
That's not really a nerf... that's a bug fix. The exploit was clearly unintended.
I wouldn't say it was an exploit exactly. It was discovered and specifically brought up to developers. Their [url=https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15938&start=20#p127232]initial response was yes, intended[/url]. However that eventually changed, I guess, and they removed the ability to complete any Broken Isles tamers on max level alts without WQs unlocked. IMO it was more like they changed their mind. Overall the change seems to fit better though ^^; heh.

Regardless if it was actually intended or not (we'll never really know unless a developer chimes in), a solid way to make faster progress through Family Familiar is to have more max level characters with World Quests unlocked. Thankfully it's a lot quicker to unlock WQs now!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Chaminade

Post by Chaminade » June 28th, 2017, 9:45 am

I have 5 characters lvl 110. Yesterday 3 tamers were up, and I got them all done. I got the humanoid, flying, and dragon achievement. I didn't realize it was just 12 tamers; I thought you had to do all of them. Aquatic and elemental are still a little rough for me. I need to get better pets.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » June 28th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Well, over at wow-petguide those strats seem to rely heavily on:

Aquatic: Emperor Crab (get a P/P), Spawn of G'nathus, Ghostshell Crab, and some frogs

Elemental: Pandaren Water Spirit, Electrified Razortooth

so I would start there. :)

Chaminade

Post by Chaminade » June 28th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Thank you. I have all of them except the Ghostshell Crab.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 30th, 2017, 7:54 pm

I wouldn't say it was an exploit exactly. It was discovered and specifically brought up to developers. Their initial response was yes, intended. However that eventually changed, I guess, and they removed the ability to complete any Broken Isles tamers on max level alts without WQs unlocked. IMO it was more like they changed their mind. Overall the change seems to fit better though ^^; heh.
I'm surprised to see that they said that (at one point). Felt incredibly fishy to me, always. I tried it one time right before they patched it away, and I did not make it through all the families. After a couple, it felt like blatantly circumventing the achievement, so I stopped.

Seems like that was something off the cuff that they said without thinking it through. There were, after all, no other WQs that you could get benefit from without unlocking them.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13586
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » June 30th, 2017, 9:37 pm

I used it get trick to get the pet. I already leveled a DH for their class pet and didn't feel like gearing that character. Still haven't logged on that character since completing the achievement. There really isn't any benefit in getting the pet early so why not was my thought process. Just another box checked for me.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » July 3rd, 2017, 12:07 pm

Chaminade wrote:Thank you. I have all of them except the Ghostshell Crab.

One of my go to elementals is the Phoenix hatchling it is faster than most pets but flyers and it hits pretty hard with its burn plus conflagrate move. If absolutely destroys mechanical pets