favorite non-highly sought after pets to have out?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us
favorite non-highly sought after pets to have out?

Post by Kendrah » January 23rd, 2014, 8:30 am

What's your favorite non-popular pet to have out? I mean, besides the status pets (like CT pets) or the really expensive/extreme rare pets (like spectral cub.) By out, I mean follow you around.

I think one of my favorite is Sumprush Rodent. That tail is just cute.

Bastianelle
Top Rater
Pet Score:12332
Realm:Turalyon-us

Re: favorite non-highly sought after pets to have out?

Post by Bastianelle » January 23rd, 2014, 10:56 am

It varies. I'm one of those people that always has 5-6 pets on my hotbar. I have always loved the kitty pets, so I'll often have one or another of those out. In particular I like the Feline Familiar because it will fly along with me, and so many other pets won't. Sometimes I get in the mood for a dragon or a moth. Sometimes I like the Perky Pug or one of the worgs, so I feel like I have a "dog" with me.

It really depends on the character I'm playing and what I'm doing. If I'm farming, I don't like the flying pets because they always seem to land right on front of the ore or herb I'm after. If I'm running dungeons or lfr, I'll try to find a pet that matches my hunter pet when I'm on my hunter, or maybe an elemental if I'm on my mage or shaman. Anything goes on my priest. Something that just looks "right" to me that day. :D

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 23rd, 2014, 11:00 am

That's a tough question. There are just so many I adore, it's hard to choose an absolute favorite.

Just a few off the top of my head:
  • [pet]Tiny Sporebat[/pet] - adorably small and soft/squishy looking
  • [pet]Twilight Fiendling[/pet] - love the way it flops around
  • [pet]Creepy Crate[/pet] - sinister yet cute, especially with a pet biscuit that makes it small
  • [pet]Disgusting Oozeling[/pet] - goes really well with firecat form
  • [pet]Jade Owl[/pet] - love the gem/jewel appearance
  • [pet]Snowy Owl[/pet] - adore its color-scheme
  • [pet]Sprite Darter Hatchling[/pet] and [pet]Firefly[/pet] - because awww, nostalgia
And argh, there are too many to list. Oh, can't forget all of the pets from Raiding With Leashes II. I'm a sucker for pets with neat animations/interactions. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » January 23rd, 2014, 11:18 am

I generally tend to theme my pets to my toon and/or spec :)

Druid = Blossoming Ancient
Warlock = Eye of the Legion or Minfernal (green fire FTW)
Pally = Libram or another book. Her name IS Index after all ;)
Hunter = something to match the pet I have
DK = One of the TI elementals to match spec (Ominoues = Frost, Ruby = Blood)

And yes, sorry, I know it says non-highly sought after, but I like those pets :)

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » January 23rd, 2014, 5:52 pm

I LOVE the mechanical Yeti; the way he drums his toes.

Too much furry awesome.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 23rd, 2014, 6:20 pm

For me it varies by toon as well. My main gets all the "status" pets, but my alts all use pets that suit their class, transmogs, etc.

One of my bank toons wears a tuxedo - my penguin Tux was the obvious choice. Another bank toon has all red outfits so the Green Wing Macaw is her companion. My lock has either Willy (when she has the observer out) or Lesser Voidcaller (when the blueberry is out). My worgen has Lil Bad Wolf. So on and so forth.

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » January 23rd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Usually the pet I have out is the last one I was battling with. I really don't pull them out just because. There are also sometimes when they annoy me - like when I'm farming or at the DMF. But there are two that come to mind.

Feline Familiar - It's the pet that started me seriously collecting and leveling pets. I brought it out when I got it and kind of forgot about it. Then when I was flying along, I noticed something tailing me. When I realized it was the cat on a broom, I decided it deserved to get leveled up.

Darting Hatchling - Probably the first pet I ever got. It was a drop in Dustwallow Marsh and I had no idea what it did. What cracks me up about it is that all of a sudden it will start zipping around like a 2 year old that just ate a box of Sugar Pops.

Post by Guest » January 24th, 2014, 5:38 am

Black Tabby Cat. Because I have two of them IRL ^^

Donehogawa
Pet Score:646
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Donehogawa » January 24th, 2014, 3:39 pm

At the moment I spend a lot of time fishing so as to level cooking...so Lil' Ragnaros, mobile campfire ftw :)

Other than that I tend towards the quieter pets, sometimes the noises just grate on the nerves. The exception being Lil' K.T.....that laugh never gets old.

Asa far as wild pets go, it's generally going to be a snake of some kind, reptiles being the finest pets naturally.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 24th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Not only do I try to do spec specific pets, but I have found a need to rename all of them, as well. I don't have any rhyme or reason to it though.

The moonkin hatchling is Boom Boom, my Ji-Kun hatchling is Cuddles, Netherspace Abyssal is Fire Crotch. My hunter's corehound's name is Gigi, so my corehound' pup is Gigi Junior. Then my DMF Eye is renamed Eye of Ragnaros.

I change out pets quite often though, but like others have said, they get in the way a lot out in the world, so I usually dismiss them.
mykro9#1585

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 24th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Mudlark wrote:I like to use dogs a lot; perky pug, worg pup, Tito (love the tornado!).
Sometimes I bust out the lanterns and balloons too :).

I thought I was going to love Pierre, but his sounds drive me crazy!
No!! Don't tell me that.... =( I have been wanting one ever since the first time I saw one. I will be SOOOO disappointed if he is one of those annoying pets I cannot keep out.
mykro9#1585

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 24th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Mykro9 wrote:
Mudlark wrote:I thought I was going to love Pierre, but his sounds drive me crazy!
No!! Don't tell me that.... =( I have been wanting one ever since the first time I saw one. I will be SOOOO disappointed if he is one of those annoying pets I cannot keep out.
Pierre is pretty darn noisy. At first it didn't seem like much, but after about 10 minutes, all the sounds he makes (pan sizzling, vocalization when he's flipping, which he does a lot) really starts grating.

I also prefer silent mounts for the same reason. I enjoy riding Alar... I don't enjoy the constant wing flapping while I'm just idling.

Athonx
Pet Score:2175
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Athonx » January 25th, 2014, 12:38 am

im loving the lofty libram and arcane eye right now. when i first saw the valkyr i really wanted it, still do, but seeing how popular it is i prolly wont have it out much. i'm such a hipster. :P lol

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » January 25th, 2014, 2:25 am

Lashtail Hatchling, hands down!
@TamerWakamaru

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11305
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 25th, 2014, 3:23 am

It depends on the the character (race/class) and what they're doing. The hunter(s), I try to match to their pet if possible. The lock is generally one of the imps, etc. But when in a guild run, I tend to pull the pet that 'fits' there. Racially the gnomes/goblins usually have mechanicals, etc.

I do love K.T.s laugh though, one of my all time favorites.

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Furkel » January 25th, 2014, 6:25 am

I usually just spam my random pet macro until I get one that seems fun at the moment (and, sometimes more importantly, matches my current transmog set), but I've got a few favorites:

The [pet]Giraffe Calf[/pet] is always fun, because with a biscuit he's probably three times the height of my gnome main, which draws attention in a group.

[pet]Infected Bear Cub[/pet] creeps people out to the point that I've actually been asked to unsummon it.

And of course, [pet]Sprite Darter Hatchling[/pet] will always hold a special place in my heart.

My bank alt is a whole different story, she's got a bag full of various different dresses and her action bars are completely filled up with nothing but various matching pets. Got to look my best when standing around the AH, you know how it is.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » January 25th, 2014, 10:51 am

Furkel wrote:The [pet]Giraffe Calf[/pet] is always fun, because with a biscuit he's probably three times the height of my gnome main, which draws attention in a group.
Giraffe is so cute! I love the farm critters. Little black ram, the gazelle, lamb, etc. I'll throw a pet treat on my black ram. It's just so darn cute. I love throwing one on my Kun-lai runt as well. It towers over my goblin. It's like a body guard or something. :lol:
Furkel wrote:[pet]Infected Bear Cub[/pet] creeps people out to the point that I've actually been asked to unsummon it.
I hate the infected bear cub! D: The egg sacks that quiver are just so disgusting. I'm a hordie but I can't bring myself to quest in that map because of those bears. I've debated just releasing it but the collector in my own let me.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » January 25th, 2014, 10:49 pm

I've had just my plain old Snake out a lot lately because I'm leveling her. She's the really bright green color and I named her Chartreuse :mrgreen:

I also like Molten Hatchling, Mini Mindslayer, Mulgore Hatchling, and my Crow (because I named him Tom Servo- though most don't get it)!

Anyway, those are my "ordinary" ones that I really like.

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Astraldr0p » January 25th, 2014, 10:59 pm

I like my broom a lot, it's funny watching it sweep a dirty instance as I'm running around.

I also my my elwynn lamb because of the special xD