Ever hunt for a specific color?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us
Ever hunt for a specific color?

Post by Abashera » December 28th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I was in Deepholm because I decided I wanted an S/S Emerald Shale Hatchling, and I came across a white Crystal Beetle. It's the only white beetle pet I've seen, so I decided I want one. However I want it to replace my H/H that I already have.

I was beginning to wonder if the H/S was the only one that came in white, seeing all the white ones I was finding were of that breed, but I finally got a white H/H. It's not rare, but I like it—I'll just use a stone on it.

Hunting for color is different than hunting for breed, because chances are the color you want is not common. The crystal beetle comes in that dark color by default. So to get a white one there's a 1 out of 3 chance that it will be the breed you want, then a small chance it will be the right color. And if you want it in the right breed, color, AND RARE... Well, I'll just settle for stoning the one I got, after looking for a few hours last night and a few hours this morning.

The only other pets I've hunted for color were gold Scorpions and red Crabs. Several of my crabs are red; and I have a Leopard Scorpion and a Scorpid in gold, as well as the Durotar Scorpion (which only comes gold).

And while I was out farming the white Crystal Beetle I found a rare, blue, S/S/Fungal Moth—though I'm not sure whether I like the blue or the white better.

So am I nuts, or are there other people who have color preferences with certain battle-pets? ...Or are we all just nuts? :D

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Re: Ever hunt for a specific color?

Post by Aur » December 28th, 2013, 1:20 pm

I just blew a stone on a Spiny Lizard because I wanted the purple color and wasn't about to try and find a trifecta of color, breed and rare. I don't go for color often, but there have been a couple that are unique I just liked.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » December 28th, 2013, 2:15 pm

SPINY LIZARD COMES IN PURPLE!?

Lol. My rare H/P is a dark color with yellowish stripes. I think it's purple. Maybe I just got lucky. (?)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 28th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Considering that I had to have every unique wild pet skin in the game, I would say yes. :)

When I was chasing Crystal Beetles (back when you couldn't forfeit or disconnect to force secondary pets to change color) I only engaged in battle with white ones. Since that's the only white beetle skin in the game, it had to be a white one!

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 28th, 2013, 9:22 pm

If collecting all the different pet colors is nuts, then feel free to call me crazy! :P My own color challenge contains a mix between wild and non-wild pets though.

I haven't gone as far as to hunt for a specific color + breed + rare quality (yet). Breed is just not that important to me since I don't pet PVP. The furthest I've gone in terms of obsessive collecting is just color + rare quality.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Aerozia
Pet Score:8990
BattleTag®:Aerozia#1505
Realm:Skullcrusher-us

Post by Aerozia » December 29th, 2013, 5:19 pm

I ran around the BE area killing cats til I got a color, breed and rarity I wanted.

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » December 30th, 2013, 6:47 am

Abashera wrote:SPINY LIZARD COMES IN PURPLE!?

Lol. My rare H/P is a dark color with yellowish stripes. I think it's purple. Maybe I just got lucky. (?)
It does! That's the version I have ^.^

Screenie: http://i.imgur.com/FhL9XlI.jpg

What I didn't know, or had failed to realise, is that some pets come in multiple colours... uh oh. :lol:

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » December 30th, 2013, 12:58 pm

I don't need every color of every pet, but like to have the available colors covered. My rare crystal beetle is not the white one, so I will probably go back and hunt that down some day. But, I doubt I would chase down a blue Fungal moth since that color is easy to get in a different moth - unless you meant the beige one. I think that is more unique.

Another one is the Bandicoon and Bandicoon Kit. Only those two come in blue or white, while all the other raccoon pets come in the standard colors. Or the tan Schezuan Chicken. Unfortunately when I got rares of these, it was not the color I wanted. So, more to hunt down after I finish the goal of getting all rares in my collection.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 30th, 2013, 2:12 pm

I went specifically after the blue sumprush rodent, not because the skin is unique or rare, the beige is just fugly:p

You can only laugh, once your going into anything pet related here in MoP you get screwed. First realize quality, then breeds, then skins. Its maniac to be a collector these days.

But ye Ive noticed a few unique or sought after skins, mainly wild pets really or should I say only. Every non wild pet is single skin afaik.

Wakka
Pet Score:4324
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Wakka » January 3rd, 2014, 12:43 pm

If you are colour hunting, keep in mind that secondary pets are a random colour so if you get the breed/rare you want as a secondary, but it's not the colour you are looking for you can leave battle and re-engage until it is the colour you want.

Neuropathy
Top Rater
Pet Score:6696
Realm:Ursin-us

Post by Neuropathy » January 6th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Wakka wrote:If you are colour hunting, keep in mind that secondary pets are a random colour so if you get the breed/rare you want as a secondary, but it's not the colour you are looking for you can leave battle and re-engage until it is the colour you want.
Thanks Wakka, I did *not* know that! I'm now the proud keeper of a beige fungal moth with this method. It was blue, white, white, white, beige upon battle restarts. :)

Back to searching for this elusive white beetle :P

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » January 8th, 2014, 10:38 am

I did that with one of the striders... I wanted the red and white one... got lucky and got the breed I wanted in rare. Didn't even have to reset for color :)