Am I the only one finding Spineclaw Crab impossible?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us
Am I the only one finding Spineclaw Crab impossible?

Post by Slab » November 19th, 2013, 9:22 am

https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=H-Nesingwary&species=1337

Let me quote the relevant sentence of the link above.

[Spineclaw Crab] has never been seen on US Nesingwary Horde.

NEVER.

I've spent between 60 and 120 minutes a night for the past week, solely killing the crabs on the northwest beach. I've killed hundreds before that. Yes, I know it can spawn anywhere ... that only increases the nightmare, IMO. Total # of times I've even SEEN a Monstrous Spineclaw in that week?

ZERO.

Total # of Monstrous Spineclaws I've seen, EVER? TWO. And obvious, since this is a full on rant post ... the pet did not drop.

Yet I don't see any other threads or comments about this? Am I missing something? After all the community's concerns about rares like Minfernal, Darkmoon Rabbit, etc ... I can't believe that I'm the only one who finds this pet drop worse than any other.

Maytrex
Pet Score:9360
Realm:Uldaman-us

Re: Am I the only one finding Spineclaw Crab impossible?

Post by Maytrex » November 19th, 2013, 10:42 am

Same here! This one is driving me crazy too. : )

Nikkip
Pet Score:10818
BattleTag®:Nikki#1932
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Nikkip » November 19th, 2013, 10:43 am

I have given up on trying to get it to drop. 1- I spend hours killing crabs only to not have a monstrous spawn at all OR it spawns and no one announces it on the other side of the map. 2- When I do kill it, it doesn't drop. So I will wait for auction house. the achiev isn't worth it anyways

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » November 19th, 2013, 10:44 am

It has never been seen on my auction house along with the Viscous Horror. Doesn't look like either one of those will be added to my collection anytime soon. If one ever does appear I will probably have to spend a few 100k gold to buy it.

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » November 19th, 2013, 10:46 am

Oh god no, I completely agree with you. I bought one when I saw one real cheap (the person obviously had no idea what they had posting it for 2K in the first week of it), but I spent 2 and a half weeks just looking for the crab to kill him for the achieve. I still need the pet to drop for the last achieve I have left on the island. I am not looking forward to it, because after spending an hour a day for 3 weeks just farming for the crab and spending at least an hour a day on the island, I have seen the crab 3 times. In that time, I have gotten 7 of the Sprites to drop.

Redacted
Pet Score:11875
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Redacted » November 19th, 2013, 10:52 am

If I may.

Best thing to do is probably sell some pets on the AH of a high pop server such as Illidan-H until you have the gold to purchase it. They are usually relatively affordable on those servers.

That is if you are just looking to get the pet.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » November 19th, 2013, 11:06 am

They are around 5-10k on Illidan-H, your best bet would be to take a few extra pets you have and make a lvl 1 toon there and cage them and sell them on their AH until you have enough gold there to buy one. You may have to do a few quests to get some silver to be able to post on the AH but that wont take nearly as long as the hours you spent farming it.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » November 19th, 2013, 11:32 am

Makes me feel a bit lucky, I got mine for 1k on week one. Now, getting the bugger to spawn to kill for the acheev... I totally agree with the OP! But...

I've been trying to get the High Priests + chanters to drop their rare item, farming only them. 26 million HP, solo, and one mistake means a death. Not an easy feat.

Perhaps if blizz made this stuff spawn slightly more, or had a 2-3% drop rate, it might be bearable. I'm down to 20ish items left to get, including a number of pets and the mount of lies, but need to get other stuff done first :(

Shame, this acheev had potential but the insane spawn mechanics + low drop rates + the fact that stuff dies in seconds unless you camp it means it's losing it's appeal somewhat :(

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » November 19th, 2013, 11:43 am

as i need the crab, i need to have it drop for myself. i've been at it for multiple hours a night with a group of between two and five people. i have killed around 40ish rare crabs now, seen about 7 other people get it. Its getting harder and harder to find people to fill the group, as more and more (mostly our newer members get crabs, for some reason... i guess all my RNG luck is used for the people around me?) leave after getting a crab, or give up.

Don't give up~! we will get it one day... and then i'll get to farm High priests of ordos for the ashcovered horn. should be fun... T_T

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » November 19th, 2013, 11:44 am

I gave up on that achievement long ago wasn't worth the aggravation.
Made a horde death night on area52 lots of pets there.
Sold some extra pets or looked what sold well there and made the money to buy spineclaw,kovok,and the blackfuse.
Much less aggravation

Shinii
Top Rater
Pet Score:5470
BattleTag®:Shini#1888
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Shinii » November 19th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Feel free to add me
I am also actively farming for [pet]Spineclaw Crab[/pet] and [pet]Jadefire Spirit[/pet]

we can inv each other to check multiple servers to hopefully increase the odds of getting it

shini#1888

Slab

Post by Slab » November 19th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Dragonwizard wrote:They are around 5-10k on Illidan-H, your best bet would be to take a few extra pets you have and make a lvl 1 toon there and cage them and sell them on their AH until you have enough gold there to buy one. You may have to do a few quests to get some silver to be able to post on the AH but that wont take nearly as long as the hours you spent farming it.
Yes, but using that theory of the flattened economy on your server ... how many pets that I can sell would it take to make the 5-10k? :p

Silverstarr
MVP
Pet Score:13914
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Silverstarr » November 19th, 2013, 4:56 pm

For those of you looking for drops for the achievement, if the item is tradable, you can trade with someone who got the pet before they learn it, log out and log back in, and it will show up on your achievement list. Then you can trade the pet back. This only works, of course, if they haven't clicked on the pet to learn it. This method also works on the other achievement items that are tradeable. You have to have tagged the rare to be able to trade. If it's a pet that's common loot, then you just need to be in a party with the person who got the drop. Of course, some of the items are soulbound when they are picked up and can't be traded but quite a few can be traded which really helps with the achievement!

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » November 19th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Slab wrote:Yet I don't see any other threads or comments about this? Am I missing something? After all the community's concerns about rares like Minfernal, Darkmoon Rabbit, etc ... I can't believe that I'm the only one who finds this pet drop worse than any other.
I think the Minfernal and Rabbit have other factors that attribute to the general want of them over the crab. Minfernal is kewt and who doesn't want Monty Python's wee little beastie. But I agree. I've given up trying for it. I'm so angry that I didn't buy them when they were really cheap on my server. I could buy one but I'd rather buy blackfuse or kovak if I had the choice. :oops:

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » November 19th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Slab wrote:
Dragonwizard wrote:They are around 5-10k on Illidan-H, your best bet would be to take a few extra pets you have and make a lvl 1 toon there and cage them and sell them on their AH until you have enough gold there to buy one. You may have to do a few quests to get some silver to be able to post on the AH but that wont take nearly as long as the hours you spent farming it.
Yes, but using that theory of the flattened economy on your server ... how many pets that I can sell would it take to make the 5-10k? :p
You'd be surprised at how easy it is. 5.4 pets that come in uncommon, I stone them and sell them for 2k each. Engineering pets are around 10k last I checked. The fourth wing SoO pets are still 15k or so? Anyhow you get the idea. :)

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » November 20th, 2013, 6:21 am

Slab wrote:
I said that in response to someone that was saying they would be willing to pay upwards of 100k for one on their server. So in that case spending 20-30k or so on lower end pets on their server and then reselling for 5-10k on Illidan would make more sense.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Slab

Post by Slab » November 20th, 2013, 9:02 am

Well, I got a char to level 2, trekked my way to an AH, and put up my extra Eye of the Legion and Moon Moon, both several hundred gold below any of them on the market. That was 6 pm EST.

By 11 pm EST, there were 3 Eyes and 2 Moon Moons listed all cheaper than mine, the lowest being about 2k less each~. :p

I'll keep watching the market over there though.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » November 20th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Slab wrote:Well, I got a char to level 2, trekked my way to an AH, and put up my extra Eye of the Legion and Moon Moon, both several hundred gold below any of them on the market. That was 6 pm EST.

By 11 pm EST, there were 3 Eyes and 2 Moon Moons listed all cheaper than mine, the lowest being about 2k less each~. :p

I'll keep watching the market over there though.
Good luck! And I find it best to just list and ignore the auctions until they end. The prices will fluctuate all day but in the end, about 50% of the time my items do end up being sold after 24 hrs at the buyout price I was asking.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » November 20th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Just a suggestion, but get one or two of the timeless isle pets, or other non-common pets. Level them to 25, then try to trade for a level 1 spineclaw on a high pop server. That's how I got mine. ;)