The fate of LFR and flex pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
The fate of LFR and flex pets?

Post by Ril » October 13th, 2013, 7:12 am

There are a few pets that only drop off LFR and flex modes. Is it known what will happen to them once a new expansion hits? As far as I know, the LFR and flex modes won't be accessible very well anymore as they require an appropriate level. No one will be doing those raids anymore.

I'd like to assume that they will be moved to normal and heroic modes as additional drops but I'm wondering whether it is safe.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: The fate of LFR and flex pets?

Post by Luciandk » October 13th, 2013, 7:33 am

Considering the LFR gear from Dragon Soul is unavailable now, I doubt they will move the pets. But get them while they are fairly common, AH on Draenor is flooded with Gooey Shalings and to a lesser extent Droplets of Yshaarj.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 13th, 2013, 7:57 am

Luciandk wrote:Considering the LFR gear from Dragon Soul is unavailable now, I doubt they will move the pets. But get them while they are fairly common, AH on Draenor is flooded with Gooey Shalings and to a lesser extent Droplets of Yshaarj.
Pets aren't the same as gear. They'll likely relocate them or adjust them to just also drop in normal.

Though, the droplet isn't in this discussion since it all ready drops in normal.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 13th, 2013, 10:05 am

Gilneas wrote:Pets aren't the same as gear. They'll likely relocate them or adjust them to just also drop in normal.
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm going to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt (for now), that they will have the presence of mind to ensure the LFR and Flex pets will be available to future collectors somehow. And not just from the Auction House. :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » October 13th, 2013, 10:08 am

Quintessence wrote:
Gilneas wrote:Pets aren't the same as gear. They'll likely relocate them or adjust them to just also drop in normal.
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm going to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt (for now), that they will have the presence of mind to ensure the LFR and Flex pets will be available to future collectors somehow. And not just from the Auction House. :P
Highly unlikely imo. Theres been plenty of pets that is unavailable now. Spirit of competition, vampiric batling, blizzcon pets etc.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 13th, 2013, 10:17 am

Luciandk wrote:Highly unlikely imo. Theres been plenty of pets that is unavailable now. Spirit of competition, vampiric batling, blizzcon pets etc.
The difference that I see, though, is that those pets were for limited time events. As far as I know, ToT and SoO raids are not limited time events. They will be around for as long as the game is around. The only portion of it that may be considered "limited time" are the LFR and Flex raids. Even then, it's still available for those of appropriate level, as is Dragon Soul LFR.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » October 13th, 2013, 10:41 am

Quintessence wrote:
Luciandk wrote:Highly unlikely imo. Theres been plenty of pets that is unavailable now. Spirit of competition, vampiric batling, blizzcon pets etc.
The difference that I see, though, is that those pets were for limited time events. As far as I know, ToT and SoO raids are not limited time events. They will be around for as long as the game is around. The only portion of it that may be considered "limited time" are the LFR and Flex raids. Even then, it's still available for those of appropriate level, as is Dragon Soul LFR.
Which would be an enticement for the diehard collectors to run them in appropiate leveled teams when another expack rolls in. People will do -ANYTHING- what it takes to sate the OCD urge for collection.

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » October 13th, 2013, 10:51 am

blizz was kind enough to relocate pets that were going to be unobtainable recently. an example? the hydra. it is possible that they made pets only available for certain events, like the batling and the spirit of competition, but LFR is nothing as special as those events or even the pre SOO stuff.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 13th, 2013, 11:06 am

Luciandk wrote:Which would be an enticement for the diehard collectors to run them in appropiate leveled teams when another expack rolls in. People will do -ANYTHING- what it takes to sate the OCD urge for collection.
That's true, but if that's Blizzard's mentality towards the LFR pets, then it's somewhat unreasonable.

I haven't bothered with Dragon Soul LFR in a while, but last I checked, there were so few in the queue, not only did it take forever to fill up, the raid never filled out completely. Most of time raids like this fall apart and/or struggle to complete everything.

Once new content is released, people simply ignore/skip over older stuff. It's too time consuming and it's nothing new. To expect a high enough interest in LFR so that farming these pets in the next expansion will still be viable, is expecting too much.

My hope is that Blizzard recognizes this and has some sort of plan for the future so that we may obtain the pets elsewhere. I might be hoping for too much in the end.

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » October 13th, 2013, 3:37 pm

I'd say there is almost no chance that they keep them just in LFR. They're not a promotional or event type pet or anything. They're just a raid drop pet for LFR people that mirrors the Viscuous Horror and the Droplet. Nothing particularly special that they'd have any reason to want to keep exclusive there (in fact, you could argue the opposite, since the LFR ones are more common).

They aren't going to expect people to cap their XP at 90, and then keep praying they can get full groups to maybe (and most likely not) get the pets to drop every week. That's far more unreasonably than pretty much any other challenge for getting a pet in-game, and it won't happen (unless its overlooked -- but it'll get fixed if that's the case).

TippyKitt
Pet Score:2789
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by TippyKitt » October 15th, 2013, 2:35 pm

I think its pretty reasonable to think that Blizz may make a sort of one time bag you get the first time you run LFR in a week that will contain things like this. Like the bag that you get the first time you do a random dungeon each day.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » October 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm

It's possible they'll just add the pets to the list of things that can appear in the BMAH.

Restofarian
Top Rater
Pet Score:4064
BattleTag®:Restofarian#1262
Realm:Azralon-us

Post by Restofarian » October 16th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Do we have a comprehensive list of what (5.4 pets) drop where atm?

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 16th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Restofarian wrote:Do we have a comprehensive list of what (5.4 pets) drop where atm?
We list each new patch's pets [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/new/]here[/url]. You can bookmark it for quick viewing when another new patch is released, or you can find it on the navigation bar, News > New Pets!

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am

You know, I forgot when I was reading this thread before that this situation has come up in the past, just not with pets. So I think the answer is definitely going to be (with very little doubt at all) that the two LFR only pets will be moved to the normal/heroic loot table as well.

Back in WotLK to get people to stick it out in a random heroic Oculus run, they added a bag to the last boss (LFD only) that could drop the Blue Drake which they moved off of normal Malygos' loot table (the Azure Drake from heroic Malygos was switched to both difficulties). Of course, once people started leveling in Cataclysm, this made the Blue Drake impossible to acquire since after 81 or 82 (can't recall), you can no longer queue for level 80 heroics and the bag only dropped when you used the LFD system to get a random heroic and got heroic Oculus. In response, they moved the Blue Drake back to normal Malygos (the Azure now drops in both difficulties... I'm not sure if the Blue drops from heroic as well or not).

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » October 18th, 2013, 9:21 am

Gilneas wrote:You know, I forgot when I was reading this thread before that this situation has come up in the past, just not with pets. So I think the answer is definitely going to be (with very little doubt at all) that the two LFR only pets will be moved to the normal/heroic loot table as well.

Back in WotLK to get people to stick it out in a random heroic Oculus run, they added a bag to the last boss (LFD only) that could drop the Blue Drake which they moved off of normal Malygos' loot table (the Azure Drake from heroic Malygos was switched to both difficulties). Of course, once people started leveling in Cataclysm, this made the Blue Drake impossible to acquire since after 81 or 82 (can't recall), you can no longer queue for level 80 heroics and the bag only dropped when you used the LFD system to get a random heroic and got heroic Oculus. In response, they moved the Blue Drake back to normal Malygos (the Azure now drops in both difficulties... I'm not sure if the Blue drops from heroic as well or not).
This. As I read this thread I was thinking of the Oculus drake, but I see you've beat me to the posting. Hoping they do something similar with the LFR pets. :)