Moon Moon

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us
Re: Moon Moon

Post by Gilneas » October 10th, 2013, 12:30 am

The GM let slip that the loot for Moonfang works in the same way as the rares on the Timeless Isle. That means that the first time you loot the corpse for the day, you have increased chances of getting favorable loot.
No. It doesn't work like that. And neither does the Timeless Isle.

Its just random.

Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Moonie1 » October 10th, 2013, 1:00 am

Ah ok, you guys have all the answers already. Take it away.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » October 10th, 2013, 6:30 am

Gobbletone wrote:Is it possible that the sooner you loot her, the better your odds of getting Moon Moon?
Nope. Loot is generally decided when a mob spawns, though in the case of personal loot it's when the mob dies. What you do between the mob dying and you looting it has no effect on anything, because exactly what you'll get is already saved on a server somewhere.
Aeolyn wrote:Is it just me or is it more or less impossible to find groups for Moonfang already?
Try OpenRaid or similar. There are probably groups forming, or people willing to join if you start one. If not, just try again in a month. I think a lot of people are rather sick of that wolf by now and need a break from it.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » October 10th, 2013, 8:10 am

Gilneas wrote:
The GM let slip that the loot for Moonfang works in the same way as the rares on the Timeless Isle. That means that the first time you loot the corpse for the day, you have increased chances of getting favorable loot.
No. It doesn't work like that. And neither does the Timeless Isle.

Its just random.
There is some confusion on the timeless isle bosses loot, since there is daily quests being tracked for each of the rares. But it seems the only thing these does is make sure you get more coins from the first kill of the day than the rest. Im almost certain that it has no effect on other drops, and i dont see any reason there should be something like the in function on moonfang.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 10th, 2013, 9:29 am

Sanzul wrote:Nope. Loot is generally decided when a mob spawns, though in the case of personal loot it's when the mob dies. What you do between the mob dying and you looting it has no effect on anything, because exactly what you'll get is already saved on a server somewhere.
Sorry, but there you are incorrect - that would be inefficient in the extreme for any application/database of this size. The loot is generated upon the death of the creature. Why bother generating loot and storing it somewhere (in memory or database table) when the mob may never die (before a reset or whatever)? Multiply the number of creature active on any given server at any given time (tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands) and you get an enourmous amount of wasted resources. "This wolf drops a claw, this one a tooth AND a claw, this one 2 silver 15 copper, this one a Sanctified Hammer of Murloc Gibbing, ...).

When you kill a monster the server engine determines the loot it contains (individually for each person who tagged it, or for the player/party/raid if it's that type of loot). That way all each mob wandering the world needs is a pointer to it's own loot table, a tiny piece of information, until it dies and is looted. I cannot for certain say the loot "list" of what that corpse contains for the looter is written at the instant of death or the instant of actually looting - but either way WHEN you do it has no impact on the random generation of that loot.

Xandrolar
Pet Score:2844
Realm:Hellfire-eu

Post by Xandrolar » October 11th, 2013, 6:04 am

I recently attempted to get the moon-moon pet on my hunter, there was a group of around 25 alliance and another group of around 15 horde. Thing was the horde pulled and like the timeless isle bosses, moon moon isn't faction tagged, so anyone who participates, be it alliance or horde is eligible for loot.

As it was one of the other people in my raid group got the pet which i didn't mind as she too is a pet collector. I got the moon-moon mount (which only lasts a week bah) and a DM fair quest item. But if you take into consideration the pet is awarded randomly to one player, and that the mob is not a faction tag mob then you'll have to figure out if you want to go through the process of making a raid, killing the mob (Moon-moon hits hard and has a major one shot ability when she pounces) as well as large damage dealing AOE effects, or buy it on the AH.

Given the spawn rate for moon moon, and the fact I've seen three of the pets up on the ah for between 9-11k gold I may well save up and buy it.

For those of you who want to fight it however here are some things to remember.

1/ She has a very high health pool
2/ She can be tanked, however the tank needs to have their own healer that can keep up with the damage
3/ She is tagable by any level that can enter the darkmoon fair
4/ At various points in the fight she will cast a starfall like ability, this is easily avoidable as you will see the circle on the ground before your hit, allowing time to move.
5/ When Moon-moon does her pounce ability, she will turn away from her current target and face another attacking mob. you have about 2-3 seconds before she pounces in which to move away. (This can cause the most wipes as it is is an instant kill AOE so anyone near the targeted person will also be killed - if moon moon is targeting someone who is NOT in the raid, you might not have the chance to move)
6/ apart from that this is a dps her down race she will go down eventually to combined might, but if you should die, then the GY is not actually that far from her spawn point also there are no adds in this fight, only the initial wolves that will spawn to begin with.

Good luck all, and i hope this helps. :)

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 11th, 2013, 9:25 am

Xandrolar wrote:also there are no adds in this fight, only the initial wolves that will spawn to begin with.
OMG I died laughing. No adds, only the initial wolves? I guess, technically, you are correct - adds only spawn once during this fight. And they promptly eat every healer who casts a spell w/in aggro range the moment they spawn. Mind you if you are a healer and only get a couple wolves out of the pack you could be fine (assuming Moonfang doesn't leap near you while you are keeping yourself alive).

I tank the adds in this fight and try and keep as many as possible off of everyone in the area (once I've tagged Moonfang) and I still die to them w/a dedicated healer sometimes. It's a fun fight - and the more people she and her pack kills the better (especially when they are Alliance!). :twisted:

And while it's easy to avoid the starfall like circle when she's alone at the start, when there are 40-50 wolves filling your screen it's a lot harder to see. Forewarned is forearmed and all that jazz - good luck to everyone on this, I'm still trying.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 11th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Rendigar wrote:The loot is generated upon the death of the creature.
http://blue.cardplace.com/newcache/us/4311143050.htm

It's not efficient, but most normal raid/world mobs do actually generate loot on spawn, not death/looting. The multi-tag mobs like Timeless Isle rares and Moonfang have to generate different loot for each person who tags--I assume she generates loot for each person when that person tags her, but she could also generate loot upon death/looting instead.

Wowhead and wowdb are both putting the droprate at 6-7%, which is higher than the Timeless Isle rare mob pets. Unless people stop bothering with Moonfang, it seems like there will be plenty of Moon Moons to go around.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 11th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Poofah wrote:
Rendigar wrote:The loot is generated upon the death of the creature.
http://blue.cardplace.com/newcache/us/4311143050.htm

It's not efficient, but most normal raid/world mobs do actually generate loot on spawn, not death/looting. The multi-tag mobs like Timeless Isle rares and Moonfang have to generate different loot for each person who tags--I assume she generates loot for each person when that person tags her, but she could also generate loot upon death/looting instead.

Wowhead and wowdb are both putting the droprate at 6-7%, which is higher than the Timeless Isle rare mob pets. Unless people stop bothering with Moonfang, it seems like there will be plenty of Moon Moons to go around.
Well that's got to be the stupidest thing in programming I've seen in a long time, but then again the thread you quote is from 2008 and a lot can change in 5 years. OTOH I can totally see them not bothering to change it, too. So much for expecting good programming practices... thanks for the link.