Son of Animus (venting)

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Re: Son of Animus (venting)

Post by Gromagrim » October 3rd, 2013, 8:04 am

I'm old school, as mentioned before and I like to have my pets drop. I have 4 alts running Dark Animus since 5.2 and using bonus rolls until they explicitly said it was a waste of time. (Started again in 5.4).

Absolutely 0 pet drops from ToT, I ended up buying the Pygmy Direhorn when 5.3 came out and picking up Living Sandling and Living Fluid when I spotted them cheap, but I haven't got Ji-Kun Hatchling or Dark Animus yet because I'm stubbornly banging my head for the drop.

IMO it's a really horrible way to get pets. Weekly lookout + low drop rate (+ limited availability - we can't run these LFRs after level 91) does not benefit anyone. Would prefer a raid-wide currency that allowed you to buy pets, mounts, 'random drop' gear and consumables, that way, even if it takes 6 months to save for one item at least you know you'll get it.

Noobcastle
Pet Score:2867
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Noobcastle » October 3rd, 2013, 9:24 am

I too have always wanted this little guy and have been doing the raids weekly with no avail. I know that it's supposed to be a rare drop, but come on. =(

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » October 3rd, 2013, 9:59 am

This thread annoyed me enough to go buy him, 6.5k down, I bet he drops next week -_-

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 3rd, 2013, 11:03 am

+ limited availability - we can't run these LFRs after level 91
The only ones that are limited by LFR going away for you once you level to 91 are the Living Fluid and the Gooey Sha-ling. You can continue to farm all of the others at 95/100/whatever because they drop in normal.

And they are fairly easy to get right now, just not easy for an individual. If they make the drop rate too high, you have a situation like the Sunreaver Micro-Sentry where everyone is tripping over them. Remember that there are hundreds of thousands of kills of these bosses every week, so they need a fairly low drop rate or we would just be literally flooded with them. And they also do have a currency to purchase them like you suggest -- gold.

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » October 3rd, 2013, 3:23 pm

Last night the game dropped me another [pet]Living Fluid[/pet]... Great. No one seems to want to trade a Son for it, and I'm trying to sell it "cheap". Ugh.

C'mon, ToT... If I was on the fate list for a "rare pet," why one I had already? :(

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » October 3rd, 2013, 9:52 pm

Just be patient. And I don't just mean with running the raid, I'm talking about the AH too.

Right now the prices for all the new pets is insane. And it's just because greedy people are seeing dollar signs. In time the prices for all the new pets will drop—just like they dropped for a lot of the old "new" pets as soon as this patch went live.

I got a Netherspace Abyssal to drop on my 1st run through Kara. But I didn't know how breeds worked back then. So I leveled my P/S Abyssal to 25. Then I saw that there is a P/P breed!

I bought a power breed Abyssal off AH for about twenty five hundred gold, then turned around and sold my level 25 one for 6,000g. With the extra I bought the Darkmoon Zep (cause I hate the darkmoon dailies.) There's a veiled tip in here too on a way to double the price of a battle-pet. ;^)

Anyway... Be patient. AH prices will drop in time, and there are ways of working the system. :D

P.S. I don't have Animus either. The one I want is Blackfuse Bombling. The 1805 health-pool on the H/H breed will make him the most viable pet for "Explode", rising him above Minfernal and Netherspace Abyssal's 1725 health on the H/H breed.

I will probably have to buy one off the AH when they start dropping... that is, when the pet drops, and the prices drop too. And that will likely be in another patch. Hopefully they will drop as often as the Goey-Shaling. The AH is flooded with them right now, and in time people will realize they are too common to list at those ridiculous prices.

Itsmnevis
Top Rater
Pet Score:3308
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Itsmnevis » October 4th, 2013, 10:38 am

Gilneas wrote: If they make the drop rate too high, you have a situation like the Sunreaver Micro-Sentry where everyone is tripping over them.
I'd rather pets be farmable at the cost of them not being very valuable than never having any hope of getting them from drops but have them 'hold value'. The current raid drop pet system reminds me of Diablo 3: you know it's theoretically possible for what you want to drop, but you also know you're going to have to buy it off the AH because the odds are hugely against you. Someone's going to win the lottery, but it probably won't be you. I'm glad I *can* buy a Son of Animus off the AH, as one never dropped for me in all my months of killing DA (nor any other boss in ToT), but I'm a little sad that I had to.

My suggestion (I put this on the official forums too, for whatever it's worth) would be to introduce a pet-collector currency. Either a drop rate similar to stones from any of the pet quest bags, or a guaranteed drop from the weekly. Then have this currency be a coin similar to an Mogu Rune/Warforged Coin, giving you a bonus roll with a non-trivial chance at a boss's pet drop.

@Anasa: I'm probably telling you something you already know, but you don't have to make your Son of Animus gold on Illidan just with Mountain Pandas and Pandaren Earth Elementals. You can buy pets on your home realm specifically to re-sell (though that kind of sucks for the pet market on your home realm) or farm some of the actually-farmable pets like the Filthlng or Dandelion Frolicker or Spectral Porcupette. Good luck.

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » October 4th, 2013, 11:36 am

Itsmnevis wrote:@Anasa: I'm probably telling you something you already know, but you don't have to make your Son of Animus gold on Illidan just with Mountain Pandas and Pandaren Earth Elementals. You can buy pets on your home realm specifically to re-sell (though that kind of sucks for the pet market on your home realm) or farm some of the actually-farmable pets like the Filthlng or Dandelion Frolicker or Spectral Porcupette. Good luck.
Yeah, I keep an eye on ones to flip, but since my home AH is pretty dead usually the prices are a lot higher than Illidan (hence my purchasing alt there).

It almost works better the other way... Buy cheap pets on Illidan, sell them high on my home server.

I managed to sell my extra Living Fluid for just enough to put me in range of the Son that was up (lowest price I've ever seen: 5100). I sold that fluid for probably half what it was worth, but I don't care.

So finally.. Son of Animus get! I am officially DONE with Throne of Thunder.

I'm keeping my Illidan alt for brokering pets though :)