Darkmoon Faire - Which Pet First?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Harval
MVP
Pet Score:4699
Realm:Aggramar-us
Re: Darkmoon Faire - Which Pet First?

Post by Harval » December 9th, 2011, 3:38 am

I am a little disappointed with the monkey, but in general all of these pets are a little disappointing. It wouldn't have taken a lot to have the mechanical ones do some animations or interactions. I think the days of that are over with pet battles on the horizon; vanity animations and sounds will be regulated.

Dirtyshadow

Post by Dirtyshadow » December 9th, 2011, 6:32 am

With 5.0 on the distant horizon, Im planning to pace myself on these pets...

5.0 supposedly brings all the pets to being account wide, if that is true. Im having my alts farm and store tickets for those pets. While my main focuses on the mounts first. Pacing myself this way by having 3 alts each earn 90 or 180 points each (1 or 2 pets)

I can casually earn my mounts first, then my main can buy the pets he wants first... with the alts being a safety net if Mists of Pandara arrives before I earn all 900 tokens.

Ritsuka
Pet Score:2137
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Ritsuka » December 9th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Dirtyshadow wrote:With 5.0 on the distant horizon, Im planning to pace myself on these pets...

5.0 supposedly brings all the pets to being account wide, if that is true. Im having my alts farm and store tickets for those pets. While my main focuses on the mounts first. Pacing myself this way by having 3 alts each earn 90 or 180 points each (1 or 2 pets)

I can casually earn my mounts first, then my main can buy the pets he wants first... with the alts being a safety net if Mists of Pandara arrives before I earn all 900 tokens.
That's a good idea! If I felt more certain about the account wide pets thing I'd do the same, as I did with the AT. As it is I'm still not confident enough that they'll actually be shared between all characters or whatnot to risk it. As I mentioned before, if I knew they were releasing a 150+ mount achievement soon I'd do it anyway, but until then I feel it's no rush either way. Just natural collector's drive to complete my set as soon as possible.

So on that note, I did pick up the little Simba first. :3 No idea what I'll pick next. Leaning towards the balloon. Love the design, wish they weren't so easily despawned. (I should be able to hold a balloon while mounted! I'm a talented Warlock!)

Niccalo
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Niccalo » December 9th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Quintessence wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but I can't wait for the revamped faire to come to town (December 4th!). There will be six new DMF pets to collect, but which one to buy first? Hmmm...

Which new Darkmoon Faire pet does everyone plan on buying first? Second? Third? Or will you try to withstand the wait and buy them all at once?! :P

I'm kinda high on the cub, I wish they would branch out a bit more and do some other animals.

Still waiting on a ferret...

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » January 2nd, 2012, 12:12 pm

Twilight wrote:Cub, then turtle (which is sure as heck a tortoise), then Zeppelin. The other three don't appeal to me at all. Once I get the Celestial Dragon, I won't have much motivation to collect them.
Well I didn't do the dailies every day last time, so I picked up my first pet last night. I went with the Zeppelin. I guess I've been influenced by seeing all these mini zeps for winter veil.

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » January 2nd, 2012, 4:04 pm

Unfortunately, it looks like DMF has been nerfed/buffed to some extent and old bosses won't drop the items for high leveled characters. Can anyone confirm that? Horrible if so, I should have farmed the items up when I had the chance, now I have to do boring content and roll against casual people who don't care if they get things or not (and probably wont even know how to turn it in, fun!)

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 2nd, 2012, 7:56 pm

I keep changing my mind, but here is my current plan, by month:
1. balloon
2. zeppelin, monkey
3. turtle
4. strider mount
5. cub
6. bear mount
7. tonk
I want to make sure I have something to buy every month, which wouldn't happen if I bought all the pets before all the mounts.
Mingyao on Madoran

Vallia_M

Post by Vallia_M » January 4th, 2012, 1:09 pm

yeah it does appear that the drops are level limited (20 kills each of Gazhrilla and Hydromancer, no drops)

Curtana

Post by Curtana » January 4th, 2012, 4:11 pm

We really need a new confirmed kill list for level 85s.

Can anyone confirm they received a drop off a boss at level 85?

Ritsuka
Pet Score:2137
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Ritsuka » January 4th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Harval wrote:Unfortunately, it looks like DMF has been nerfed/buffed to some extent and old bosses won't drop the items for high leveled characters. Can anyone confirm that? Horrible if so, I should have farmed the items up when I had the chance, now I have to do boring content and roll against casual people who don't care if they get things or not (and probably wont even know how to turn it in, fun!)
Ugh, I know right? If I'd known this I would have lived in low-level dungeons and stock-piled like, eight of each dungeon drop for Ritsuka when I had the chance. Leave it to Blizzard to break something that was functioning nicely. Now it's basically stalk the AH or say bye-bye to already scarce tickets. I wish the pets and mounts were cooler for this level of investment. >.>; And it's a whole new reason to struggle to choose my next purchase, because who knows what kind of disaster might befall the system with next months' "fixes".

Twilight
Top Rater

Post by Twilight » January 4th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Curtana wrote:We really need a new confirmed kill list for level 85s.

I got the Monstrous Egg from Skadi the Ruthless in Utgarde Pinnacle. I was in there for the blue protodrake mount and was excited when I saw that it was a blue item, I thought the mount had dropped (finally). :( For some reason I don't have that quest as complete in my acheivement log and I have no idea why.

I also got an Imbued Crystal. I'm pretty sure it was from Scholomance.

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » January 5th, 2012, 4:53 am

Ritsuka wrote: Ugh, I know right? If I'd known this I would have lived in low-level dungeons and stock-piled like, eight of each dungeon drop for Ritsuka when I had the chance. Leave it to Blizzard to break something that was functioning nicely. Now it's basically stalk the AH or say bye-bye to already scarce tickets. I wish the pets and mounts were cooler for this level of investment. >.>; And it's a whole new reason to struggle to choose my next purchase, because who knows what kind of disaster might befall the system with next months' "fixes".
Yep, I've already had to resort to the AH. The prices could be worse, I'll admit. Spending 1000g or so total each month to the BoE artifacts isn't completely horrible. I loathe using the AH for pets as I enjoy the thrill of a hunt, but there is nothing thrilling about doing the same dungeons over and over while hoping you win a roll against someone who will sell it on the AH most likely. Not my definition of fun.

Have 2 bugged items I can't turn in (mysteriously Blizzard says this won't be fixed until the next DMF, don't blame me if I don't hold my breath).

Twilight
Top Rater

Post by Twilight » January 5th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Twilight wrote:
Curtana wrote:We really need a new confirmed kill list for level 85s.

I got the Monstrous Egg from Skadi the Ruthless in Utgarde Pinnacle. I was in there for the blue protodrake mount and was excited when I saw that it was a blue item, I thought the mount had dropped (finally). :( For some reason I don't have that quest as complete in my acheivement log and I have no idea why.
I opened a ticket but the GM was "unable to verify that this quest was completed" by my character, but reassured me that I should "be able to get this item again to complete the quest." Yay?

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » January 7th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Be sure to send in a ticket on battle.net if you have an artifact you are unable to turn in; Blizzard have said they will award you will the appropriate DMF prize ticket reward.

I'd also recommend stocking up on the quest items when you can catch them for cheap on your local AH. Generally the prices on my realm fluctuate, but I was able to spend about 1000g and get everything I needed. Once per month of that isn't completely terrible, I suppose.

Piratewench
Pet Score:2540
Realm:Duskwood-us

Post by Piratewench » January 8th, 2012, 12:40 pm

definitely the cub first for me

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » January 9th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Monkey and Cub acquired now. I got a little behind in the first month (was too busy playing something engaging...) but decently on track for January. I didn't get two of the artifacts, but I'm not going to break my back hoping for RNG (and these two are never on the AH).

Talespin
Pet Score:2184
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Talespin » January 9th, 2012, 3:07 pm

I went with the cub since it reminds me of Simba and I'm a huge lion king fan. Planning to get the turtle next :)

Phizzie123

Post by Phizzie123 » January 15th, 2012, 3:34 am

I got the turtle first. He's teh cuteness. :D

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » January 16th, 2012, 12:09 am

I missed all but part of one day of the first revamped DMF, since I was out of town (but on that day, I did manage to get the seapony on 3 toons). So this month was my first real crack at the new DMF. On Lysi I got the turtle, and my Horde collector on my other server got the cub. I don't know if I'll do all pets on both collectors, or hope the pet combining is account wide and wait and see. My mount collector got half way to her first mount. Some of my other toons are collecting tickets more slowly, and they'll eventually get whatever pets/mounts suit their personalities.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…