Trials & Tribulations of Pet Collection (stats)

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Shalymar
Pet Score:3745
Realm:Korgath-us
Trials & Tribulations of Pet Collection (stats)

Post by Shalymar » October 4th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Aaaaaalrighty...

So, let's talk about the new Pets (battle pets) and the Vanity Pets Statistics in our individual character Achievements tab.

Achievments - > Statistics Tab -> Character -> Vanity Pets Owned

Here's the issue...

If you get a pet, and it's a Battle Pet (i.e. someone has put the pet in a cage and traded you or you've purchased it) it DOES NOT count towards the running total found in the Vanity Pets Owned statistics. You learn the pet, and it adds it to your Pet Journal, but you do not ACTUALLY learn the pet so it does NOT count in your Pets Owned stats. Here is an example:

Player A has 190 pets via Vanity Pets owned statistics. Player A runs Lord Ahune and gets the Ice Chip which grants the player Frigid Frostling upon learning (didn't have this pet prior). This brings the total of pets Player A has learned to 191 under Vanity Pets owned. If Player A got a second Ice Chip drop they would be unable to learn this as it would say "Already Known".

Player B has 190 pets via Vanity Pets owned statistics. Player B runs Lord Ahune and doesn't get Ice chip to learn Frigid Frostling (they need this pet). Player B, goes to the Auction House and purchases Frigid Frostling from Battle Pets section. Player B learns this pet. They now have Frigid Frostling in their Pet Journal but still have 190 pets via Vanity Pets Owned statistics and are still able to pick up and learn the Ice Chip if it drops in the future; only then would it count towards their Vanity Pets Owned running total.

As you can see that creates a real conundrum for the die hard collectors (such as myself!) that want to ensure that they know every pet, and that their statistics match their pets learned. This has become a real issue for myself and several others who are keeping a true running tally. How frustrating! GRRRRR! :evil:

Imo, there should be a "Wild Pets Owned" stat that tracks those Wild Pets, and anything that was a "Learned" pet, that is caged should again, become "Learnable" so that when a player buys it, it counts towards our Vanity Pets Owned achievement.

Just the two cents of a handful of collectors. Based on this I for one will NEVER buy a battle pet that is a product of a "Learnable" pet item. >.<

Side Note:

Another example would be, Battle Pets, in their cage form once learned do not count towards achievements like Veteran Nanny. In that case, you have to earn the pet (after doing the quest pre-req's) and learn it on the specific character that you want the achievement on (despite the fact that those pets can be sold/bought/learned).

Kingdms

Re: Trials & Tribulations of Pet Collection (stats)

Post by Kingdms » October 5th, 2012, 12:40 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like nothing more than an oversight on Blizzard's part or a bug. Just another to add to the growing list of issues found in the Pet Battles system.

They'll get around to fixing things. Eventually. Maybe.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » October 5th, 2012, 12:54 am

Right now I can't find any of my pet quantity achievements, like Littlest Pet Shop, listed in game or in the armory. Before they disappeared completely, they were listed with 0 quantity. I hope that means they're working on it.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Shalymar
Pet Score:3745
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Shalymar » October 5th, 2012, 2:37 am

Could be a bug... I'm hoping it's a bug or unexpected oversight. It's just fairly annoying. Blaah! I built a colour coded spreadsheet to keep track of the differences. >.> <.< lol :P

Kingdms wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like nothing more than an oversight on Blizzard's part or a bug. Just another to add to the growing list of issues found in the Pet Battles system.

They'll get around to fixing things. Eventually. Maybe.
o_0 You're right Lysi.... I can't find mine either. I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. @_@
Lysi wrote:Right now I can't find any of my pet quantity achievements, like Littlest Pet Shop, listed in game or in the armory. Before they disappeared completely, they were listed with 0 quantity. I hope that means they're working on it.

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » October 8th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Darn, and I thought I was doing my wife a favor by giving her some duplicate pets I had. Well she has the pets at least, but I'll have to check with her on the achieve status.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » October 8th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Spyro wrote:Darn, and I thought I was doing my wife a favor by giving her some duplicate pets I had. Well she has the pets at least, but I'll have to check with her on the achieve status.
If you gave her pets she didn't have, I believe they will be counted for achievements. Blizzard just doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Ea
Pet Score:1137
Realm:La Croisade écarlate-eu

Post by Ea » November 17th, 2017, 8:52 am

very little on that subject on the internet! I arrived here randomly with google.

more than 5 years passed and nothing has been changed. lately blizzard adds some pets directly into the collection, so you can't get that +1. GM won't help as the game is now working this way.

how are you handling this ? speaking to die hard completionists like OP :)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 19th, 2017, 4:45 am

Please keep in mind that this thread is indeed 5 years old, and necro-ing old topics is not encouraged.

Locking this thread, however feel free to start a new thread if you'd like to start up/continue the discussion further.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com