Greatest Hits with RNG

Share pet collecting news and advice.
NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Re: Greatest Hits with RNG

Post by NathKnave » July 13th, 2013, 7:43 am

My best RNG luck has been with mounts (although, also my worst luck). Back during Cataclysm, I was making an "exploratory" run through Utgarde Pinnacle to see if I could reliably farm for the Blue Proto-Drake, which dropped right then, saving me the hassle. Earlier on in Mists I had a friend who wanted Quel'Serrar from Onyxia, so the two of went in on 10-man for the first time since our guild used to do it weekly during Wrath. The reigns dropped and he didn't even roll against me. As an off-set to those mounts, Rivendare's Deathcharger took me 200+ runs over the course of several years, and I ran Stonecore twice a day for almost four months before I got the drake from there. I also camped for Aeonaxx for an almost solid 60 hours the last week before CRZ was implemented with no luck.

As for pets, the luckiest I ever got was back during the days when the only reliable way to get a Minfernal was to be there after a server restart. On one of the days when they had planned rolling restarts for some hotfix or other, I decided it would be my day. I flew out to Felwood with about 10 minutes until the scheduled time to wait for the servers to go down and come back up, hoping I could get lucky. While patiently awaiting the announcement that the servers would be going down, the green paw popped on my mini-map. I quickly swooped down and captured a poor Minfernal. I wished the rest of the campers good luck and never looked back. Later on, when they implemented battle-stones, I got my very first magic stone from an Arcane Eye outside Karazhan while leveling up a level 1 pet to take a hit from the tamer there. That lucky stone seemed like the perfect match for my lucky Minfernal.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » July 13th, 2013, 12:45 pm

My best luck was with the Time Lost Proto Drake. I decided to give farming it a whirl, read its spawn points online, and made a macro to test out. I hit the macro once to see if it worked and it went off. I thought it was broken at first! :lol: Easiest farm of my life.

My best pet moment was probably after getting my first pet bag and finding a Porcupette inside. I had no idea they were rare for a long time. I also had good luck with my Minfernal. I happened to be in the area and swopped by. I saw several people farming and was on my way out of the area when I saw the paw. Nabbed him quick! Honestly felt a bit bad about that one, since the other people were there first. :oops: All is fair in love and warcraft?

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » July 13th, 2013, 1:20 pm

There are two zone names that I always mix up for some reason, Tanaris and Silithus. Now, this wouldn't be a problem except I was looking for a sandstorm to catch the Silithid Hatchling. For 5 weeks, I spent at least an hour a day in Silithus searching for the SILITHID Hatchling (sounds logical, doesn't it?). Finally, I got fed up and checked Wowhead for what I was doing wrong, was there a pattern to sandstorms? I pulled up the map for their locations... I was in the wrong &^%$ing zone!

So, I fly over Un'Goro, and what happens? The second I zone in to Tanaris, there is a sandstorm and there is the hatchling. First one I snag... a rare!

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » July 13th, 2013, 2:02 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote: However still no Darkmoon Eye drop. I resorted to buying one of the AH yesterday.
Figures it drops for me today....

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » July 14th, 2013, 10:04 am

RNG favors me well:

- Crawling Claw: 2nd Tol Vir solve.
- Azure Whelpling: Within 3 hours farming.
- Black Tabby: Bought on AH for 2k.
- Crimson Whelpling: Bought on AH for 1k.
- Deviate Hatchling: Within 3 hours farming.
- Disgusting Oozeling: Within 3 hours farming.
- Emerald Whelpling: Within 3 hours farming.
- Firefly: Within 3 hours farming.
- Giant Sewer rat: Bought on AH for 1k.
- Hyacinth Macaw: Bought on AH for 2k.
- Razzashi Hatchling: Got it during questing.
- Sea Pony: Less than 50 tries.

Only one that gives me trouble right now is Gundrak Hatchling. Over 6 hours farming no drops.

Gruhm
MVP
Pet Score:3358
BattleTag®:Gruhm#1916
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Gruhm » July 15th, 2013, 9:10 am

Hey finally hit one. Yesterday I notice that one of my toons had a little over 40 Tol Barad Coomendations. So I went there to get the rest for the Rustberg Gull and begin the longer grind for the Fox Kit. I hit the very first fox I saw thinking there was no way, but what the hell... and the sucker dropped!

So no long grind for me and Tol Barad can remain where it belongs: in the past.

Caniki
Pet Score:7379
BattleTag®:Caniki#1336
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Caniki » July 15th, 2013, 10:00 am

My brother and I wanted to start farming Kael'thas Sunstrider for the Swift White Hawkstrider, which only drops on Heroic mode. We dou the instance on Normal mode to get him attuned for Heroic, and a Phoenix Hatchling drops. Now attuned, we run it again, and both the Swift White Hawkstrider and a second Phoenix drop. It was insane.

We also got the Zul'Grub raptor the first time we duo'ed ZG. A few months later we got a tiger, having seen a second raptor. We never saw a second tiger.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » July 18th, 2013, 7:52 am

Mentioned it in the 500 thread, but after grinding Molten Front and opening up Zen'Vorka as the last vendor on Sunday .. bought a Cache on Monday, nothing. Bought Cache #2 on Tuesday and boom ... Searing Scorchling. It was my 500th pet to boot.

BTW, I know this isn't in the spirit of the thread, but:

Tekulve2012 wrote:I started the pet game 7 months ago.... It took a couple of months
before I tried feasel at the DM Faire . In the 5 months since I have
won the Darkmoon Eye 3 times! I feel like I've spent a lifetime of RNG luck

This may explain my lack of luck with sandstorms in tanaris ( only pet keeping me from zookeeper title)
and no luck with the Unborn valk
Yeah, kinda hate you. :lol:

Mithrel
Pet Score:2674
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Mithrel » December 4th, 2013, 9:13 am

A friend was taking me around Timeless Isle. We killed Garnia (first time for me) and the Ruby Droplet dropped as my loot. He congratulated me and said he'd been trying to get that pet for awhile.

Mystik_sok
Pet Score:10833
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Mystik_sok » December 4th, 2013, 11:02 am

Did About 6 months of Darkmoon Daily pet battles with no Eye....then got 3 in a single week (~August?) and none since then.

Dolz
Pet Score:6070
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Dolz » December 4th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Avalee wrote:RNG favors me well:

- Crawling Claw: 2nd Tol Vir solve.
Aaaaarrggg!!!!
Last edited by Dolz on December 4th, 2013, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolz
Pet Score:6070
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Dolz » December 4th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Qiraji Guardling and Giraffe Calf, the first ones I found were both rare and I found them both right away. Kind of makes up for all the other pets that have died in my quest to find rares.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I usually don't have much luck (even trying to get gear with a 20% drop rate off a dungeon boss will take me weeks) but I did manage to get Flametalon of Alysrazor on my first mount farm attempt. One of my alts got the Blue Proto Drake her first time in the dungeon during WOTLK.

For pets, well, I snagged a rare Wanderer's Festival Hatchling while showing a guildmate where they spawned. I've also gotten 4 or 5 Porcupettes (you open a lot of bags when leveling your entire stable on tamers!) and 2 Darkmoon Eyes so far.

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » December 4th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Lady Vash dropped Dripping Strider Egg on my first kill. I was so happy not to have to do that one again. The Baron's Mount still hates me though.

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Astraldr0p » December 4th, 2013, 3:16 pm

My greatest RNG moment that I could think of was my boyfriend asked me if I wanted kill the Darkmoon Rabbit. I knew that it dropped a pet but I've always chucked it as one of those pets that I'll never get. Besides there were 40 other people in the raid with us

I rolled a 100 and it was mine :D

Hypah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2214
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Hypah » December 4th, 2013, 3:20 pm

A few days, I found out about the rare "Swift White Hawkstrider" mount from the dungeon on Isle of Quel'Danas. So, I decided to head down there and test my luck.

I managed to get the mount AND the pet on my first try. I was blown away. Makes up for all the bad RNG I've had with PvP pet battles lately, hehe.

Droodics
Top Rater
Pet Score:3692
BattleTag®:Frozenlore#2917
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Droodics » December 4th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Astraldr0p wrote:My greatest RNG moment that I could think of was my boyfriend asked me if I wanted kill the Darkmoon Rabbit. I knew that it dropped a pet but I've always chucked it as one of those pets that I'll never get. Besides there were 40 other people in the raid with us

I rolled a 100 and it was mine :D
Same thing happened to me last night, I was looking on oQueue for a Moonfang group, and got into a Darkmoon Rabbit group with some nice french people.
We were 11 and we went away to slay the little bastard. One wipe and we got a second healer.
It was my first time doing it so I wasn't expecting anything, but what u see, a 78 roll won me a nice [pet]Darkmoon Rabbit[/pet]. I was so happy that I didn't even right click it, I was afraid it will delete or something. I stand there 3 minutes and watched it in my bag.

Today I got in two groups for Moonfang and got two [pet]Moon Moon[/pet], got a [pet]Darkmoon Monkey[/pet] from a daily bag, and 1 minute after that a [pet]Darkmoon Balloon[/pet] from a second bag. I haven't been this lucky since I started playing WoW.

As lucky as I was with those 4 pets, I cannot fish a damn [pet]Sea Pony[/pet] to save my life, got to 100 fishing on a DK, 200 fishing on a mage and 500 fishing on my main Druid from farming it. He doesn't wanna get caught.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » December 5th, 2013, 6:57 pm

RNG hates me most of the time (my white carp is El Diablo Blanco for a reason), but I did have some good luck :)

Hyacinth macaw off a croc while i was doing the new loremaster achievements for STV
Ruby Droplet off my 5th Garnia kill
Swift White Hawkstrider off my first heroic Magister's Terrace Run back in wrath
Phoenix hatchling off my first normal magister's terrace run when i was tuning for the heroic mode
Filthling off my second big ooze kill
finding Time-lost Proto drake, Aeonaxx, and Posiedus while they were all still "in" during their respective expansions
got a firey warhorse mount after only a handfull (10ish?)) kara runs, and another after about 50ish (was two manning with a friend)
The other carp colors dropped after 500 or so casts for each carp, white gave me some trouble (see above)

That's most of my good ones; I did give the Hyacinth Macaw to my sister but i later found one for myself off AH for 100g :)