Share pet collecting news and advice.
Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us
Greatest Hits with RNG

Post by Saasan » July 11th, 2013, 6:18 pm

RNG is a fickle mistress, and I thought it would be nice to share some of our RNG successes with pet collecting. Ever nabbed a rare drop with a lucky roll? Seen a Fox Kit on your first kill? Share and brag here! :D

Mithrel
Pet Score:2674
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Greatest Hits with RNG

Post by Mithrel » July 11th, 2013, 6:33 pm

I just got Exalted with Cloud Serpent today, and the first Wild Hatchling I battled was a rare.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » July 11th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I did get a fox kit on my 11th kill. My first (and only) Emerald-proto and Flayer were rare. Makes up for the bad RNG I get sometimes. Guess it all evens out. :mrgreen:

Nesaiya
MVP
Pet Score:3579
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Nesaiya » July 11th, 2013, 10:54 pm

I got my disgusting oozeling in only 8 bags. That was pretty awesome. :3 The oozes in Felwood were able to rest easy that night knowing that I didn't have to murder the entire population.

Kyozu
Top Rater
Pet Score:11184
BattleTag®:Yozora#2217
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Kyozu » July 12th, 2013, 2:05 am

I joined a random raid for oondasta and we were summoning the last people.
I saw some fish pools on my mini map so I figured I'd try fishing some tiny carp in the short wait.

2 casts later, I got the sea turtle and the whole raid saw me loot it!

Inova
Pet Score:2177
Realm:Alonsus-eu

Post by Inova » July 12th, 2013, 2:53 am

Greatest hits? Hmm... maybe I'm slightly off-topic lol.
RNG hates me :| I never have good luck with that sort of thing. I spent hours farming for the Gundrak Hatchling, spent a significant amount of time farming certain raids and heroics for pets/mounts that I still don't have...

To my chagrin, my other half not only got the untamed hatchling after only a few kills, he also got the anubisath idol and the phoenix hatchling on his first kill.
He likes to taunt me with them, which is very annoying... :(

On the plus-side though, he did very generously give me the Elementium Geode when he first mined it during the Cata expansion...
I can only hope that the raid pets drop for him again and that he will pass them to me (seeing as his RNG is MUCH better than mine! lol).

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » July 12th, 2013, 3:11 am

RNG and me just don't go well together. Ask Ashes of Alar 0/145 runs! Never seen it...

Mounts:

But last winter I met a hunter friend, and he was a mount collector as well. He asked me if I had the Stonecore drake I said no. He said lets run it! It dropped on our first kill. I was soo happy. THEN as soon as we leave Stonecore he asked if I have the mount from Vortex Pinnacle, again I say no. We head there next and guess what? It drops the first time we 2 man it!!!

A day later we did ZG the raptor drops, and someone in our 5 man wins it. He asked the guy to pass it to me pretty please and the guy did. My friend didn't even have that mount himself!

Needless to say I dragged him everywhere with me as my good luck charm. Thank you Luxrayes! <3

The new Primal Egg mounts. I got each color one after another no doubles.

Pets:
I got a rare mini fernal on my second one with only like 2 hours into camping. Grizzly Hills US FTW!

Laraven

Post by Laraven » July 12th, 2013, 3:13 am

Kyozu wrote:I joined a random raid for oondasta and we were summoning the last people.
I saw some fish pools on my mini map so I figured I'd try fishing some tiny carp in the short wait.

2 casts later, I got the sea turtle and the whole raid saw me loot it!
This happened to someone in my group last week as we farmed Warbringers. He cast once messing around and SEA TURTLE!

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » July 12th, 2013, 3:20 am

Wow. Too many to list, here's a few:

Brewfest - Last run last year, having no luck so far I get both mounts in one daily reward bag.
Stratholme - 4.0 had just landed, and I was testing Titans Grip. Running strat for the Barons mount, and pulled to many mobs. Died, and was about to give up and thought "F*** it, I'll keep trying"... Mount dropped first ever attempt.
Malygos 10 man - Was after Black Ice, got BOTH mounts in one reward thingy at the same time ^^
A'lar - last ever run pre5.0 and me and a guildy decided "one last try" - mount dropped. Woohoo!
Levelling random alt through Uldum, NPCscan shows up the little camel figurine. Yup, first one I ever saw got me the camel mount :)
Same story with Deepholme - Phosphorescent drake FTW!

Probably too many to mention, but those are the memorable ones :twisted:

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » July 12th, 2013, 10:46 am

Good thread ... with any RNG environment, it's human nature to remember the bad beats rather than the suckouts. I know I'm very prone to that myself.

Interestingly enough, the first one for me that comes to mind seems to be the one that several people already mentioned here ... I was in Uldum for a few days, just catching fish for the Guild Achievements of Cataclysm cooking and fishing pools when one day I logged on, cast and immediately found the Sea Turtle mount in the loot box. Totally unexpected and was on my long term bucket list. :D

I also was a little worried about the Frigid Frostling drop rate from the Fire Festival because I was going to be on vacation for the 2nd half of the festival ... and got it in my first bag. :P

Cdeveau
Pet Score:3741
Realm:Gul'dan-us

Post by Cdeveau » July 12th, 2013, 10:50 am

My RNG stinks, the only good luck stiry I have is fishing at darkmoon fair, had just reached 75 fishing so i could do the quests and 4th cast in to finish the quest I pulled a sea pony.

That's the best I have.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » July 12th, 2013, 10:53 am

RNG hates me too; I cannot fish a carp pet even with fancy lures, charms and the Kaluak pole. However, I had really good luck finding the elusive Giraffe Calf in a rare. Parked an alt in the Barrens, and the very next log-in, there was the calf..and he was rare! Same with the Minifernal, oddly enough..just went to the spot, and "boom" there he was!

Abyl1
Pet Score:4019
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Abyl1 » July 12th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Good luck: Filthling dropped on the first mob.
Not such good luck: STILL no crawdad, no luck with darkmoon eye either.

Ashiva
Pet Score:3116
BattleTag®:Ashiva#1784
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Ashiva » July 12th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Mine would have to be having just decided to really farm for onys drake every week. Second week in and she drops it. Talk about shocked NAND I was soloing her so no sharing!

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » July 12th, 2013, 4:08 pm

I snagged a Qiraji Guardling 2 minutes after midnight on the 21st.

However still no Darkmoon Eye drop. I resorted to buying one of the AH yesterday.

Laraven

Post by Laraven » July 12th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Index wrote:Wow. Too many to list, here's a few:

Brewfest - Last run last year, having no luck so far I get both mounts in one daily reward bag.
Stratholme - 4.0 had just landed, and I was testing Titans Grip. Running strat for the Barons mount, and pulled to many mobs. Died, and was about to give up and thought "F*** it, I'll keep trying"... Mount dropped first ever attempt.
Malygos 10 man - Was after Black Ice, got BOTH mounts in one reward thingy at the same time ^^
A'lar - last ever run pre5.0 and me and a guildy decided "one last try" - mount dropped. Woohoo!
Levelling random alt through Uldum, NPCscan shows up the little camel figurine. Yup, first one I ever saw got me the camel mount :)
Same story with Deepholme - Phosphorescent drake FTW!

Probably too many to mention, but those are the memorable ones :twisted:
I dislike you.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » July 12th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I started the pet game 7 months ago.... It took a couple of months
before I tried feasel at the DM Faire . In the 5 months since I have
won the Darkmoon Eye 3 times! I feel like I've spent a lifetime of RNG luck

This may explain my lack of luck with sandstorms in tanaris ( only pet keeping me from zookeeper title)
and no luck with the Unborn valk

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » July 12th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Had a Hyacinth Macaw drop randomly off a croc while i was doing the revamped Loremaster quest achievs on my main, which i gave it to my sister. A week later, one pops up on AH for a mere 100g!

I've also had the phoneix hatchling drop on my first run through normal mode to get attuned to heroic MGT, then upon killing KT in heroic MGT, the white hawkstrider dropped.

Camped the Time Lost proto forever back when he was heavily farmed (still is, but its mostly CRZ bleh). Got super lucky when i logged in one morning before school, and there he was. took me all day to come down out of the clouds.

I did have ashes drop on probably sixth or seventh run through the place, but unfortunately it was back when Kael was impossible to solo, and i lost the roll to a warrior in my guild :(

Rosalyne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5903
BattleTag®:Rosalyne#1595
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Rosalyne » July 13th, 2013, 1:26 am

Day before they hotfixed the Qiraji Guardling spawn, I was flying through Uldum looking for a Camel Figurine and decided to fly over to check for a Guardling. Found one chilling just outside the AQ wall with no campers in sight, so I nabbed it! It was only poor quality, but I'd been hanging on to my Marked Flawless Stone just for that purpose, so no biggie!

I bought a Hyacinth Macaw during TBC on the AH for 200g, but shortly after Wrath came out I was working on Loremaster, killed Pretty Boy Duncan for the quest and he dropped a Macaw!

While still working on Loremaster and questing in Un'Goro, I killed an ooze, it dropped an Oozing Bag and I found a Disgusting Oozeling inside. I've actually found two of them - I was leveling an alt about a year ago and got an Oozing Bag from one of the sandworms in Silithus, and found another Oozeling inside.

And my last tale of awesome luck - I was leveling a different alt and was sitting near a naga camp in Zangarmarsh while talking to a friend. A firefly snuck up behind me, so I killed it and it dropped the Captured Firefly!

I have terrible luck with some things (I still haven't caught the Sea Turtle mount!), but awesome luck on other things as shown above (I also got the Sandstone Drake recipe from the first Canopic Jar I found) so I guess it all balances out. :lol:

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » July 13th, 2013, 6:46 am

Back in November when I was finally able to put real effort into pet battles and MoP collecting (before MoP I had every in game pet besides Crawling Claw, C/E and Blizzcon pets) I saw that the Minfernal was a rare spawn that everyone was having a hard time tring to get. So I decided to park an alt there to start the camp. When I flew there I went to the spawn point and saw 10+ peeps camping. So I decided to do one fly around and was just going to log after finding a nice place to park. Well wouldn't you know it I saw a green paw spawn right under my toon while I was waiting on the 20 second logout to finish. Needless to say after a fast cancel and quick click I had my Minferal and it took me all of about 30 seconds of camping to get him.

My counter to that is I have been farming Attunmen on my main every single week since a week into Cata release. And on 3 toons since the week they announce account wide mounts. On top of that I use to run Kara on 2 toons pretty much every single week during TBC. So I am somewhere around 500 kills and I have yet to even see it drop.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."