Pet Collection Limit...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Shalymar
Pet Score:3745
Realm:Korgath-us
Pet Collection Limit...

Post by Shalymar » July 4th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Currently I have a total of 652 pets in my pet journal. This count all the vanity pets (aka companion pets) and any battle pets (world or learned from cage) and their duplicates.

I just got a Blackwing Banner from BWL (didn't have one before) and when I went to learn it I got the error:

"Can't Add Companion To Your Account. You can't have any more pets."

Has anyone else gotten this? Is there a cap that anyone can confirm? I've read around and some say 650 and other say under 500.

What is the point in allowing us to have 3 of every pet (colour/breed etc.) if we have a capped limit. I don't want to cage the companion pets up (can't cage battle pets) and it would suck if I had to release pets that I worked hard for breed/colours.

Anyone else have any input?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Pet Collection Limit...

Post by Peanutty » July 4th, 2013, 8:28 pm

The current cap is 650. You can probably have more than that by logging onto characters whose pets hadn't been added to the total previously, however you will not be able to learn new pets past 650.

Just because you can have 3 of any given pet (with some restrictions) doesn't mean Bliz is encouraging players to have 3 of everything. The limit is there for data storage considerations I would assume (could be wrong) and maybe to encourage a little bit of pickiness and pruning in collections? I personally don't like having duplicates (except unique skins) but that's just my personal preference.

If you really don't want to release pets I'd say box up the ones you can box, and wait for them to raise the cap again in the future, which they will at some point.

Shalymar
Pet Score:3745
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Shalymar » July 4th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Well that's just more than mildly irritating...

The only reason that I have duplicates of some pets is because Blizzard introduced breeds and unique skins so they are indeed essentially encouraging players to have multiples.

I also would prefer one of every pet (except for the skins) but now I've also gotten into breeds. I wouldn't have bothered had I realized that even though Blizz implemented 3 of the same pet I was still restricted.

What a hassle. : /

I also just realized that petsear.ch doesn't count different breeds as duplicates so I was able to filter out (cage/release) some of the pets I didn't know I had still in my log.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » July 5th, 2013, 3:45 am

The original cap was 500, raised to 650 when 5.1(?) was launched.

I've been falling foul of this cap for a while now, I too collect different coulourations of pets and few pets (Flayer Youngling, Nether Fearie Dragon etc.) in different breeds which I might find useful.

I understand they don't want us to have unlimited pet space and just go crazy, but I'd prefer if the cap raised incremently with each patch they release new pets, even 25 spots per patch would help.

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » July 5th, 2013, 11:23 am

There's some 560 or so unique pets available. Those of us with a near complete collection can only collect less than 100 duplicate pets of that number, including different breed ids, color skins, etc. I love that they keep adding new pets in patches, but each one also cuts back the number of duplicates and forces us to trim them down even more.

I understand they don't want to store 1000+ pets for every character in WoW, but I think if they added new achievements to the game for numbers of unique pets, and the reward was upping the pet cap, that would solve many of the issues.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » July 5th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Quil2 wrote:I understand they don't want to store 1000+ pets for every character in WoW, but I think if they added new achievements to the game for numbers of unique pets, and the reward was upping the pet cap, that would solve many of the issues.
Back this 100%. Great suggestion!

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » July 6th, 2013, 6:50 am

Quil2 wrote:I understand they don't want to store 1000+ pets for every character in WoW, but I think if they added new achievements to the game for numbers of unique pets, and the reward was upping the pet cap, that would solve many of the issues.
That is a great idea. You should post that on the official forums so you can possibly get a blue response to it.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » July 7th, 2013, 9:25 am

Dragonwizard wrote:
That is a great idea. You should post that on the official forums so you can possibly get a blue response to it.
Yup great idea!
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » August 3rd, 2013, 5:30 pm

Old post, but I finally got around to putting this on the WoW forums as a suggestion. So far, only one person responded and basically said you can release all pets you don't battle with so it's not an issue, keeping room for 100s!

Why didn't I think of that, what was I thinking collecting all these things?!?

/facepalm

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » August 3rd, 2013, 6:11 pm

Some people are only interested in battling, others are only interested in collecting... then there are those who like to do both. I suspect that the first type of pet person is the minority, but that is only my personal opinion (I have no data to back it up).

Telling someone to release pets they don't use to battle with may make good sense if that person was only interested in battling, but for the other 2 types of pet people, it doesn't even make nonsense.

I have not yet reached the cap myself (I am very picky about duplicates and recently released a bunch), but I am seeing the "free space" in my pet journal shrink and want more!

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » August 4th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Quil2 wrote:Old post, but I finally got around to putting this on the WoW forums as a suggestion. So far, only one person responded and basically said you can release all pets you don't battle with so it's not an issue, keeping room for 100s!

Why didn't I think of that, what was I thinking collecting all these things?!?

/facepalm
They obviously aren't a collector. If they were, they would never say something as blasphemous at that. (Seriously, they should have their fingers cut off for even thinking of saying that!)

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/