hacked :(

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu
Re: hacked :(

Post by Kring » June 25th, 2013, 3:44 am

Cyntaria wrote:Blizzard automatically assigned each of us a BattleTag ID when the system went into place. You do have an option to change it. If you log into your Account Management, your BattleTag will be on the very first page to the left under your name in Account Details.
I've met several people who don't have a BattleTag. You can't add these people as BattleTag friend (right click, add BattleTag friend), but adding them with their email address as RealID friends works. The don't have their BattleTag mentioned on top of the friend list. And if they run /dump BNGetInfo() it returns no field [2] (which would be their BattleTag) for them.

Any idea why that is? Can you disable your BattleTag but not your RealID?

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » June 25th, 2013, 12:36 pm

No problem Gwen I know my pets are more important then the gold to most of us anyway.

The BTAG doesn't need or access your email. Like real ID does. So I'm not sure how they can get your email thru BTAG but who knows.

Cyntaria
Pet Score:13726
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Cyntaria » June 25th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Kring wrote:
Cyntaria wrote:Blizzard automatically assigned each of us a BattleTag ID when the system went into place. You do have an option to change it. If you log into your Account Management, your BattleTag will be on the very first page to the left under your name in Account Details.
I've met several people who don't have a BattleTag. You can't add these people as BattleTag friend (right click, add BattleTag friend), but adding them with their email address as RealID friends works. The don't have their BattleTag mentioned on top of the friend list. And if they run <removed link> it returns no field [2] (which would be their BattleTag) for them.

You can disable RealID under Settings / Communication Preferences in Account Management. You cannot disable your BattleTag, although you may change it. If they have RealID disabled, I don't think you'd be able to add them with their email address either. It may be that they've just never used or set it up it but I'm not sure what would cause it. If you run across them again, I would suggest they go into their account management and see if they have RealID enabled and have a BattleTag name set up.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » June 25th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Quintessence wrote: Add-ons are safe for the most part, as long as you download them from a trusted source like Curse.com.
Just so folks know, unfortunately, Curse.com is not safe. One of my email accounts was hacked from Korea via Curse.com ( I tracked this down because I had changed some settings on Curse, and the hack happened immediately afterward). Since the hacked account is a "decoy" that I do not use often, no damage was done. I changed all the passwords immediately (to nonsense stuff). So, please be careful using Curse (if you must use it), and make sure that you DO NOT have any "real" email addresses linked to it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 25th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Breehit wrote:
Quintessence wrote: Add-ons are safe for the most part, as long as you download them from a trusted source like Curse.com.
Just so folks know, unfortunately, Curse.com is not safe. One of my email accounts was hacked from Korea via Curse.com ( I tracked this down because I had changed some settings on Curse, and the hack happened immediately afterward). Since the hacked account is a "decoy" that I do not use often, no damage was done. I changed all the passwords immediately (to nonsense stuff). So, please be careful using Curse (if you must use it), and make sure that you DO NOT have any "real" email addresses linked to it.
It's entirely possible that even Curse can contain malicious content, however, I'd like to think that addons are pretty heavily regulated. Downloading well-known addons from Curse shouldn't pose a huge threat. There's always that small risk, though, so download at your own discretion.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Arji
MVP
Pet Score:11906
BattleTag®:Arji#2548
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Arji » June 26th, 2013, 6:51 am

Kring wrote:The don't have their BattleTag mentioned on top of the friend list. And if they run [url=http://www.wowpedia.org/API_BNGetInfo]/dump BNGetInfo()[/url] it returns no field [2] (which would be their BattleTag) for them.
One of my friends who had been using RealID for a while and didn't play Diablo III, didn't realized that BattleTag exists!
I walked him through the process of setting one up before I added him as friend.
He had to log off and log back on to the game for it to work.
So people using RealID don't automatically know about BattleTag.

About Mobile Auction House App (Armory on Phone): I do have that and also have an Authenticator on the same phone. If I want to buy or sell something I have to enter my password and it then asks me if I want to use the Authenticator too. If I refuse, the log in is cancelled. I can still see Auctions but can't do a transaction until I log in correctly.

One more thing I have activated on the Account: SMS Service when anything changes in my BattleNetAccount.

:) I'm glad you got your account all sorted out.
°° Swiss (-German) °° @Home on Lothar (EU) Horde [German] and
Silvermoon (EU) Alliance [English] (EU warcraftpets Guild)

Cyntaria
Pet Score:13726
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Cyntaria » June 26th, 2013, 3:53 pm

It's always a good idea, not only for WoW but because of the risk of Identity Theft, to use different email addresses for different things.

I have 5 that I use.

Email #1 - Personal Email for friends / family
Email #2 - Work
Email #3 - Dedicated only to my WoW/Bnet account
Email #4 - Shopping - I use this email address for all of my online Shopping only.
Email #5 - Junk - This is the email I use when signing up for any misc. web sites (WoW related or other), and any other online games I might play. Not surprisingly this is the email address that gets all the spam and WoW phishing emails.