Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ujavi
Top Rater
Pet Score:3247
BattleTag®:Ujavi#1801
Realm:Kargath-us
5.4: Crazy (?) for Cats

Post by Ujavi » June 16th, 2013, 9:28 am

I love cats. So when I saw this proposed 5.4 achievement, I was happy. Then I looked at Wowhead for a list of the cats, and now I'm perplexed and disappointed.

(My first post so I cant post a link: you can find it on Wowhead).

Summary: There are 24 possible cats for us to collect the 20 we need. One will be the new aspect of Xu'en. Some are fairly difficult to obtain (Black Tabby). However, four of the cats are nigh impossible to obtain in game.

Three are TCG items (I think). The two spectrals and the Nightsaber Cub. The fourth is the pet store's Cinderkitten.

Now, I know many achievements are difficult to complete. But do the math: in order to complete this achievement as it currently is, you'll need a TCG or pet store cat. I don't like that at all. If the achievement were a feat of strength I'd be fine with it. But it's not listed as one. I think Bliz has said that they didn't want players spending real money in order to get an achievement.

Yes, it's PTR. But what gives? Do you think they will make at least one of these available in-game? Do you think the achievement will remain as is? I'm hoping the introduce a mechanic for these to be available in game.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: 5.4: Crazy (?) for Cats

Post by Luciandk » June 16th, 2013, 9:45 am

Count it again. You can get 19 of the cats currently without spending money. Aspect of Xuen will be the 20th.

I have Cinder Kitten, and the 19 available cats, so I will get it instantly come 5.4

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 16th, 2013, 9:50 am

The Nightsaber Cub is often around £4/£5 on ebay so even cheaper than the Blizz store pets.

I look at it this way, playing WoW and pet collecting are my hobbies. A lot of people have very expensive hobbies (fishing, model planes/trains, sports equipment etc) and end up spending a fortune on them so when I spend a little of my real life gold on pets from the Blizz store or TCG it really doesn't seem so bad, when you think about it.

I'd suggest if you don't want to spend your own money on the pets then start dropping some hints for birthdays/anniversarys/Christmas/other etc. :D
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Ujavi
Top Rater
Pet Score:3247
BattleTag®:Ujavi#1801
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Ujavi » June 16th, 2013, 9:51 am

I see. Who let me post on the internet without my morning cup of coffee? :D

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 16th, 2013, 4:45 pm

If you really don't want to spend cash to get whatever you might need for the achieve, it's still possible via trading and AH. I refuse to spend any RL money on the game beyond subscription fees, but I've managed to trade for all the currently available Bliz store and TCG pets.

Nightsaber Cub isn't a big ticket item on most AHs, maybe 5-6k at most. Or quite possibly you could do a temporary trade just to get the achievement, if that's your main goal. That works for the Raiding with Leashes so I don't see why the cats would be any different.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 16th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Peanutty wrote:If you really don't want to spend cash to get whatever you might need for the achieve, it's still possible via trading and AH. I refuse to spend any RL money on the game beyond subscription fees, but I've managed to trade for all the currently available Bliz store and TCG pets.

Nightsaber Cub isn't a big ticket item on most AHs, maybe 5-6k at most. Or quite possibly you could do a temporary trade just to get the achievement, if that's your main goal. That works for the Raiding with Leashes so I don't see why the cats would be any different.
It is possible without getting any of the TCG or Pet Store pets. They almost certainly made it that way on purpose.

It's probably why they waited until Aspect of Xuen was available, to make the number of in-game pets up to 20.