Can't wait to find out Epics in 5.4

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Re: Can't wait to find out Epics in 5.4

Post by Luciandk » June 15th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Jadax wrote:
Gilneas wrote:Also, I don't think we know for certain that there are epic pets in 5.4 yet. I've not seen anything other than speculation about the celestial pets. I'm assuming they're just rare.
There was a dev interview before 5.3 was released that stated Epic pets were in the works for 5.4, along with an "exciting new way to get them". We don't know that they'll stay true to that, of course, but that's the real basis for the speculation.

And hearing of the planned pet tournament with the aspects as rewards, its easy to draw the conclusion that this would be the aforementioned epic pets with a cool way to obtain them.

Edit: Blizzard could easilly nip the whole pvp balance issue in the bud if the epic pets is not useable in pvp battles. Remaining a pve bonus.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 15th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Luciandk wrote:Edit: Blizzard could easilly nip the whole pvp balance issue in the bud if the epic pets is not useable in pvp battles. Remaining a pve bonus.
Or make them purely vanity and unable to battle at all. Not sure if the community would be ok with that, though. Personally I wouldn't mind if all epic pets were just for vanity.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 15th, 2013, 10:02 pm

They could possibly make it so in PvP, an epic pet takes up 2 slots (and legendary 3 slots when they come). I can imagine it would be hard to balance, though. I don't think making them just vanity is the way to go, though simply PvE should make at least some people happy.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » June 15th, 2013, 11:14 pm

I think the best solution is to just have them scale down to ´rare´ for pvp pet battles only. That way they would still be useful for pve stuff without causing a lot of insta-surrenders in pvp. The problem with turn-based games is if they are balanced, it usually comes down to 1 or 2 rounds.. and having an epic pet would drastically shift that.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » June 16th, 2013, 12:58 am

Azrile wrote:I think the best solution is to just have them scale down to ´rare´ for pvp pet battles only.
I was kinda thinking of something like this also. The other idea I had was some sort of match-making system that only paired teams with epic pets against other teams with epic pets.

Jodmos
Pet Score:6700
Realm:Bloodhoof-eu

Post by Jodmos » June 16th, 2013, 5:23 am

Epic pets are a mistake. Ultimately nobody will use anything other than epic (similar to how nobody uses anything but rares). The system works fine with rare as the top quality.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading my 500+ pets to epic. Actually, no I'm not :mrgreen: .

If they make epic versions of wild pets, people will feel forced to go out and catch them again. They're not, but it's human nature and Blizzzard know it too. Rare stones will become worthless just like green stones are now (Seriously, does anyone buy them?). It's taken me months to get my collection upgraded to rare and that's with catching rare wild pets, and using stones on those that don't come in a rare.

If they do introduce epic pets there needs to be a 'not easy' but achievable method for people with large collections to get them upgraded. There's a far cry from getting 100 pets stoned to getting 500 pets stoned,especially as an epic stone will no doubt be a lot rarer than the rare stones (and they're rare enough). I shouldn't need to take a couple of years to get my pets to epic quality.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » June 16th, 2013, 8:13 am

People will have to use other pets, seeing as the only families the celestial babies come in are beast, dragonkin, and flying. In order to counter other families, you'll need to use some rare pets anyways. Besides that, what's to say these pets won't be a huge time sink or still be extremely difficult to get? after all, if it's argent tournament style it'll take the better part of two months atleast to get all four. It's not like blizzard is just handing these pets to us on a Silver platter; we'll have to work for them.

Joscelin
Pet Score:2371
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Joscelin » June 16th, 2013, 8:29 am

If they're going to introduce epics, it would make more sense to do it next expansion. We already replace all of our gear each time, it would fit to have to upgrade our pets. They could also then make epic stones as common from the new trainers as rare stones are from the ones we have now.

I wouldn't necessarily like having to upgrade all my pets, and the pvp concerns are still there, but it be a whole lot easier to implement and probably more palatable to the playerbase than doing it in the next content patch.

Fayevalentine
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Fayevalentine » June 17th, 2013, 2:08 am

I would assume you could get all four of the epic pets but I would say for pvp that you could only use one per team (so you can choose to have 1 epic and 2 rare pets in your team).

I don't know why some are assuming that they will need to upgrade every current rare pet to epic quality. I'm thinking that epic pets are epic so not every pet can just be upgraded. So rare stones will stay in demand, nothing really changes.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » June 17th, 2013, 3:13 am

Jadax wrote:
Gilneas wrote:"exciting new way to get them"
"exciting new way " is Blizzard speak for daily quests.