Qiraji Guardling

Share pet collecting news and advice.
User avatar
Crazypants
Top Rater
Posts: 42
Joined: May 7th, 2012
Pet Score: 9680
Realm: Dalaran-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Crazypants » June 12th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Its like you two came in here dropped your trousers and took a big steamy dump all up in this tread. No want wants to read your off topic back and fourth bickering.

User avatar
Spyro
Posts: 86
Joined: December 21st, 2010
Pet Score: 3317
Realm: Feathermoon-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Spyro » June 12th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Pigswill wrote:Its like you two came in here dropped your trousers and took a big steamy dump all up in this tread. No want wants to read your off topic back and fourth bickering.
And your post is what? :) But seriously what are we going to talk about?

"June 12 - Flew around Silithus again today. Not a sign of the Qiraji Guardling. Still the nightmares persist." :D

User avatar
Ainyan
Top Rater
Posts: 22
Joined: December 27th, 2007
Pet Score: 7069
BattleTag®: Ainyan#1293
Realm: Durotan-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Ainyan » June 12th, 2013, 4:02 pm

The bickering is silly. Not everyone farms pets the same way.

I have every wild pet except the guardling. Only six are not rare. I have only stoned two of my pets - my Unborn Valkyr and my Minifernal, because I didn't feel it was fair to other pet trainers to try and farm a rare of two such difficult to come by pets. I have a total of five stones in my bank - two flying, an undead, a magic, and a familyless. I do trainers when I want to level pets to 25 - but I don't do them daily nor do I often get stones from them when I do them. I farmed all of my pets early enough that I got almost no stones, and now I see no point in farming pet battles (except the six rares I am missing), so I have few stones nor am I likely to get many more stones.

And yet, I will be out there when the Guardling spawns and I will be trying to farm a rare. And if they are rare enough that I feel it is unfair to other trainers to farm a rare, then I will resort to doing trainer quests until I get a humanoid stone.

So maybe people who started pet farming after they implemented the stones or changed the drop rate may have a plethora of stones, and maybe people who do the dailies... for whatever reason... may have a plethora of stones, but there are people out there who religiously farmed pets long before stones were even implemented, much less dropped with any regularity, and those people will still want a Qiraji Guardling, despite their lack of humanoid stones.

User avatar
Gilneas
Top Rater
Posts: 613
Joined: May 11th, 2008
Pet Score: 9448
Realm: Kargath-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Gilneas » June 12th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Well, overall the humanoid stones are one of the ones that become less useful very quickly, so assuming that people with surpluses would have an extra one is probably pretty safe.

Regardless, I think from the sounds of it the guardling is going to not be too stressful to get. Week-and-a-half to go to find out!

User avatar
Maizing
Posts: 376
Joined: October 15th, 2012
Pet Score: 5724
BattleTag®: Maizing#1456
Realm: Feathermoon-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Maizing » June 12th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Spyro wrote:Dragonwizard

"Most likely" is still open to "possibly not" and you have not actually demonstrated "most likely". You merely asserted it. Having an interest in having something does not necessitate one taking steps to obtain it. One not willing, or not being able to take those step does not automatically change the fact that one has an interest.

I could go on but the exceptions invalidate your points. :)
I think that you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Dragonwizard already acknowledged that there are exceptions to the rule. Exceptions do not invalidate what he/she said in the least. Have you never heard the saying, "The exception proves the rule?" The chances are, most people who are interested in having a rare of the summer pet will be people who wants all of their pets to be rare, and thus will have been doing the dailies to get stones. Even if the percentage is only 51%, it still makes Dragonwizard's points valid... but I would bet that the percentage is much higher than that.

Personally, even after giving away a bunch of them, I still have nearly a full stack of the humanoid stones (of the new, larger stack size). If I find a rare Qiraji Guardling, great, but I will be hunting for the breed, not the quality.

User avatar
Spyro
Posts: 86
Joined: December 21st, 2010
Pet Score: 3317
Realm: Feathermoon-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Spyro » June 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Have you never heard the saying, "The exception proves the rule?"
Yes, and it's categorically false, at least in the way you are applying it. But I think you and he missed the point which was that what Gromagrim said was a big assumption. It can lead to big problems when people make assumptions based on their subjective experience and then apply them as general rules. Ainyan hit the nail on the head with "Not everyone farms pets the same way." but that can be exteneded to other things as well. Ever heard the saying "There's more than one way to skin a cat." ? :)

User avatar
Gromagrim
Posts: 241
Joined: August 5th, 2009
Pet Score: 9801
Realm: Silvermoon-EU
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Gromagrim » June 13th, 2013, 5:28 am

Lol, what problems? I made an innocent statement based on a small assumption which I came to after a lot of observation of posters on this site.

Tamer fights and the lootbags are also very popular, and assuming an equal spread of the family specific stones from these, it follows that people will get a surplus.

I bet a lot of us went out with the plan to catch all wild pets as rare (I certainly did). So far I've caught all wild pets as rare bar valkyr and crow. I've also used stones on some wild pets when I've already caught a rare because I wanted a specific breed.

Until the 5.4 announcement, the only use we had for spare humanoid stones was winter's little helpers and trying to sell the blue version for more than the green one, so naturally I'd have happily spent a couple of spare stones on guardlings, before deciding whether or not to farm a bit more for a wild blue.

I'm not sure why you think this warrants a full emperical assessment, everyone can play the game their way, but you should now see from the testimonies here, that very many pet collectors have stones spare and are willing to use them when the guardling shows up.

User avatar
Azrile
Posts: 322
Joined: April 21st, 2013
Pet Score: 3600
Realm: Fenris-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Azrile » June 13th, 2013, 7:19 am

Just to point out the maybe not obvious. In 5.4, we will be able to convert our family stones into a generic stone. This somewhat increases the reasons to actually hunt for a rare. But if this is like the owl (no reason to think it won´t be).. they will be everywhere and easy to capture even a rare.

And would you to please shut up. If you want to have 3rd grade arguments, exchange battle-tags and do it in whispers.

User avatar
Gwenolyn
MVP
Posts: 416
Joined: June 27th, 2009
Pet Score: 5462
BattleTag®: Gwenolyn#1245
Realm: Aerie Peak-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Gwenolyn » June 13th, 2013, 7:40 am

I thought the people "flaming" above were talking about this comment, but due to time of posting it ended up lower on the list??
Azrile wrote:Every pet that has a season or weather condition seems to be very common once that first criteria is met. I really wouldn´t expect this to be different than the owl.
The people complaining above didn't quote what they were referencing, so I wasn't sure. But maybe all this arguing is "moo" anyway: like a cow's opinion :mrgreen:

Question? The Marked-Flawless that we get for turning in other stones is BOP or BOA right? So no selling them off, or using them to help others get their rare? I'm assuming so, so if you want a rare, you will have to farm it yourself, get a BOE stone, or farm for a Human stone from tamers and whatnot. May I suggest the latter? You'll end up with more stones than non-rare pets.

I'm going to help out fellow collectors and get one, stone it, and never look back. That's what I did with Minfernal (and there weren't even stones in the game back then... I stoned it later), Val'kyr, etc. You're welcome... hehe :shock:
Last edited by Gwenolyn on June 13th, 2013, 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ishildur
Posts: 139
Joined: March 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 4812
Realm: Uldum-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Ishildur » June 13th, 2013, 7:48 am

Spyro wrote:But seriously what are we going to talk about?

"June 12 - Flew around Silithus again today. Not a sign of the Qiraji Guardling. Still the nightmares persist." :D
See now I'm picturing entry after entry like that, read in the voice of Werner Herzog. Starting off as a mere diary of the hunt for the Guardling and quickly descending into German existentialism as we delve into the bleak and ultimately futile quest of the human soul for meaning in a post-modernistic world. C'mon, tell me picturing it doesn't at least make you laugh a little.

User avatar
Gromagrim
Posts: 241
Joined: August 5th, 2009
Pet Score: 9801
Realm: Silvermoon-EU
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Gromagrim » June 13th, 2013, 7:53 am

Azrile wrote:And would you to please shut up. If you want to have 3rd grade arguments, exchange battle-tags and do it in whispers.
I'm not familiar with the 'grade' system, but do they teach comprehension in English classes over there? Maybe if they had you'd have read my post and realised that no-one's resorting to name-calling, we're all just disagreeing on how we see the majority of pet collectors approaching the pet content.

You'd also have noticed that a) I mention 5.4 ptr in my last post and b) there's more than two people expressing their opinions.

If you don't like to read conflicting points, can I suggest that you avoid them, rather than swooping in with a condescending put-down when you don't have anything positive to add to the discussion yourself?

User avatar
Maizing
Posts: 376
Joined: October 15th, 2012
Pet Score: 5724
BattleTag®: Maizing#1456
Realm: Feathermoon-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Maizing » June 13th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Spyro wrote:
Have you never heard the saying, "The exception proves the rule?"
Yes, and it's categorically false, at least in the way you are applying it. But I think you and he missed the point which was that what Gromagrim said was a big assumption. It can lead to big problems when people make assumptions based on their subjective experience and then apply them as general rules. Ainyan hit the nail on the head with "Not everyone farms pets the same way." but that can be exteneded to other things as well. Ever heard the saying "There's more than one way to skin a cat." ? :)
Yep... you are arguing for the sake of arguing. You completely ignored everything else I wrote in my post to focus on what you think I meant when I quoted that old saying.

The fact is, an exception can "prove" (or test) a rule, but does not invalidate it. Even if only 51% of people follow that "rule" it is valid... and, as I said in my previous post, I would bet that it applies to well over 51%.

Edit: Thinking about it, even if that "rule" only applied to 25% of the pet hunters, it would be a safe bet to make. NO ONE has said that EVERYONE will have stones saved up to use... your argument would be a valid counter to that, but that is not what anyone has said.
Last edited by Maizing on June 13th, 2013, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Azrile
Posts: 322
Joined: April 21st, 2013
Pet Score: 3600
Realm: Fenris-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Azrile » June 13th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Gromagrim wrote:
Azrile wrote:And would you to please shut up. If you want to have 3rd grade arguments, exchange battle-tags and do it in whispers.
I'm not familiar with the 'grade' system, but do they teach comprehension in English classes over there? Maybe if they had you'd have read my post and realised that no-one's resorting to name-calling, we're all just disagreeing on how we see the majority of pet collectors approaching the pet content.

You'd also have noticed that a) I mention 5.4 ptr in my last post and b) there's more than two people expressing their opinions.

If you don't like to read conflicting points, can I suggest that you avoid them, rather than swooping in with a condescending put-down when you don't have anything positive to add to the discussion yourself?
No, you are making a petty argument out of nothing. Like a child arguing. 3rd grade is 8-9 year olds. Your comments are useless, petty and simply here for the sake of arguing about something non-important. What? 4 posts telling someone they may, or may not have made an assumption about who the average player is? petty, childish arguments.

User avatar
Saasan
Top Rater
Posts: 280
Joined: March 28th, 2013
Pet Score: 5353
BattleTag®: Dredre#1692
Realm: Thrall-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Saasan » June 13th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Ishildur wrote:
Spyro wrote:But seriously what are we going to talk about?

"June 12 - Flew around Silithus again today. Not a sign of the Qiraji Guardling. Still the nightmares persist." :D
See now I'm picturing entry after entry like that, read in the voice of Werner Herzog. Starting off as a mere diary of the hunt for the Guardling and quickly descending into German existentialism as we delve into the bleak and ultimately futile quest of the human soul for meaning in a post-modernistic world. C'mon, tell me picturing it doesn't at least make you laugh a little.
Loving you just a little bit right now, Ishildur!! :lol:

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 10056
Realm: Proudmoore-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Quintessence » June 13th, 2013, 1:53 pm

This topic is getting derailed. If we can't get back onto topic without exchanging harsh words, this thread will be locked. Let's keep it friendly, thanks!
Image
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

User avatar
Tiggindy
MVP
Posts: 251
Joined: December 19th, 2007
Pet Score: 9899
BattleTag®: Mersenne#1798
Realm: Lothar-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Tiggindy » June 13th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Cropher wrote:Yes, as Skulwolf says; on the beta were fairly fast-spawning, all around the Scarab Wall in Silithus (both sides), with a few (like the Scarab Hatchlings) in the instance area (not in the instances themselves, just the territory). Shouldn't be hard at all to catch once they appear...
That's good to know. However, if they only spawn in a small area, I have a suspicion that they won't be available in general for a while because there are folks that will camp til they get a rare, disregarding peeps that just want one in general. Sadly, there are a lot of inconsiderate peeps around.

Personally, I'll grab the first one I see and in less than an hour it will be a level 25 rare.
I'm still annoyed that the Snowy Owls showed up Nov. 1, but apparently we get to wait until the summer solstice for their counterpart.
Yup, I find that pretty jerky on Blizzard's part.

User avatar
Cendir
Posts: 57
Joined: January 7th, 2013
Pet Score: 5053
Realm: Alexstrasza-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Cendir » June 13th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Maizing wrote: NO ONE has said that EVERYONE will have stones saved up to use... your argument would be a valid counter to that, but that is not what anyone has said.
Actually, the quote that started this was:
Gromagrim wrote:Surely anyone who's interested enough to farm for a rare will have a stack of spare humanoid stones anyway?
I said that's a big assumption, he then changed his mind and said "the majority". Which may or may not be true, I dunno, don't care either way.

On one had the discussion is boring and tired, but on the other I feel it brings up the important point of choosing your words with care. Making sweeping generalizations is usually a bad idea.

I will be farming this guy for a rare in the breed in want, since I have no extra stones, other than Aquatics of all things.

User avatar
Gromagrim
Posts: 241
Joined: August 5th, 2009
Pet Score: 9801
Realm: Silvermoon-EU
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Gromagrim » June 13th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Quintessence wrote:This topic is getting derailed. If we can't get back onto topic without exchanging harsh words, this thread will be locked. Let's keep it friendly, thanks!
I'd close it Quint, the topic's dried up, Guardling is here on 21st, some of us have humanoid stones ready, some don't. My bad for saying everyone when I meant nearly everyone :roll:. There's nothing else of use to add.

When some new posters come along specifically to tell people to 'shut up' and then have the gall to call other people childish...
Well, it just seems this community might be changing for the worse :( I hope not though.

User avatar
Jadax
Top Rater
Posts: 314
Joined: April 18th, 2011
Pet Score: 8016
BattleTag®: Sunscorch#2259
Realm: Malygos-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Jadax » June 13th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Gromagrim wrote: When some new posters come along specifically to tell people to 'shut up' and then have the gall to call other people childish...
Well, it just seems this community might be changing for the worse :( I hope not though.
I wouldn't call those people a part of the community, just yet.

User avatar
Dakaf
MVP
Posts: 379
Joined: September 26th, 2012
Pet Score: 6003
BattleTag®: Dakaf#1332
Realm: Dawnbringer-US
Contact:

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Dakaf » June 13th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Quin, just kill this thread. I'll try again when it gets closer!

Thanks!
Image
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Locked