Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us
Qiraji Guardling

Post by Dakaf » June 9th, 2013, 1:44 pm

I know we still have a few weeks left, but does anyone know how rare it will be? I'm hoping it will be common, just limited availability due to season. I'm afraid it will be limited and be minfernal rarity.

Any info?
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Gendou » June 9th, 2013, 2:18 pm

I'd expect it to be about as rare as the Snowy Owls were when they were available.
ImageImage

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 9th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Gendou wrote:I'd expect it to be about as rare as the Snowy Owls were when they were available.
Same, which means not rare at all, depending of course how insane the first few days will be, with everyone and their mum flooding the area, not to mention people who'll farm for a rare one and / or a specific breed.
I doubt the level of rarity of the minfernal / val'kyr are the new norm though, they want pets to be "special", whether by rarity alone or by weather conditions, but no need to make this one rarer than it already is, I reckon.
I confess I might be looking into the breeds available, but I'm just glad I have the little guy's stone at the ready.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » June 10th, 2013, 2:25 am

Every pet that has a season or weather condition seems to be very common once that first criteria is met. I really wouldn´t expect this to be different than the owl.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 10th, 2013, 3:24 am

Surely anyone who's interested enough to farm for a rare will have a stack of spare humanoid stones anyway?

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » June 10th, 2013, 3:48 am

That's a MIGHTY big assumption.

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » June 10th, 2013, 4:44 am

Well thanks for the caps for emphasis, but I don't think it is. Obviously there will be some people who only wild battle and don't do trainers, but I'm confident that the majority of people spend more time trainer battling than wild battling.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating though, so lets see. I personally will be grabbing the first one of each breed I get and stoning them up, same as I did with the valkyr

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » June 10th, 2013, 5:13 am

Cendir wrote:That's a MIGHTY big assumption.
Agreed.

Skulwolf
Top Rater
Pet Score:4831
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Skulwolf » June 11th, 2013, 6:31 am

when i caught it back in beta they spawned in only 1 area of silithus. i only remeber seeing about 5 up at that time w/ lil amount of pet tamer there at the time. so i assume the spawn rate is short, but i cant be sure since i just went there to catch 1 no matter quality. caught it poor named it sparx :) soon after they had closed beta for petbattles so me n few got lucky back then. all in all love this pet the way it looks n fights. also location will be scarab wall right in front n around summonstone to AQ instances/raid

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » June 11th, 2013, 6:49 am

Yes, as Skulwolf says; on the beta were fairly fast-spawning, all around the Scarab Wall in Silithus (both sides), with a few (like the Scarab Hatchlings) in the instance area (not in the instances themselves, just the territory). Shouldn't be hard at all to catch once they appear...
I'm still annoyed that the Snowy Owls showed up Nov. 1, but apparently we get to wait until the summer solstice for their counterpart. Ah, well. :?

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » June 12th, 2013, 9:31 am

I imagine competition will be pretty fierce for a while with everyone trying to get a good breed, but it'll probably die down after a week or so. I really don't see too many ppl camping for a rare, since humanoid stones seem to be one of the families everyone has stored in their bank (i have four myself).

The nice thing is, if someone forfeits without killing the guardling, it'll just respawn so someone else can grab it.

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » June 12th, 2013, 10:13 am

Opallena wrote:I imagine competition will be pretty fierce for a while with everyone trying to get a good breed, but it'll probably die down after a week or so. I really don't see too many ppl camping for a rare, since humanoid stones seem to be one of the families everyone has stored in their bank (i have four myself).
Well this is what I suggested above and people disagreed with me. Humanoids were the first stones I got as surplus, and all the anecdotal evidence on this site pointed to the same thing. Certainly the first 'trade' posts here people had spare humanoid stone first (and undead second).

Maybe those that got the pet bug after 5.1 have a different experience, but certainly for the long-term, heavily involved colelctors, we'll all have spare humanoid stones specially saved for this pet.

Spyro

Post by Spyro » June 12th, 2013, 11:04 am

Gromagrim wrote:
Opallena wrote:I imagine competition will be pretty fierce for a while with everyone trying to get a good breed, but it'll probably die down after a week or so. I really don't see too many ppl camping for a rare, since humanoid stones seem to be one of the families everyone has stored in their bank (i have four myself).
Well this is what I suggested above and people disagreed with me. Humanoids were the first stones I got as surplus, and all the anecdotal evidence on this site pointed to the same thing. Certainly the first 'trade' posts here people had spare humanoid stone first (and undead second).

Maybe those that got the pet bug after 5.1 have a different experience, but certainly for the long-term, heavily involved colelctors, we'll all have spare humanoid stones specially saved for this pet.
You said that being interested in farming a rare would mean you would have a stack of humanoid stones. The one does not equal, cause or confirm the other. Random is random and your experience is not everyone's experience.

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » June 12th, 2013, 11:22 am

In my own experience, and that of a few collectors I know, humanoids were indeed the first spare stones we had. Simple reason being, there's what, like 19-20 humanoid pets, oonly a few of which needed upgrading compared to the say 180 or so beasts / critters / flyers that had a multitude of green starter qualities.

I'm looking forward to the 21st / 22nd to finally cross this one off my list, I will be hunting for any decent breed, but not focusing on getting a rare.

Good luck to all when the time comes!

Cdeveau
Pet Score:3741
Realm:Gul'dan-us

Post by Cdeveau » June 12th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I've yet to get a humanoid stone to drop from either PVP or wild battles. I do have about 4 flawless stones though.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » June 12th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Anyone know what breeds will be available?

12 humanoid stones and counting. Mostly because I do the trainer to level my pets.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448

Post by Yalina » June 12th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Ravnhawk wrote:Anyone know what breeds will be available?
They've been pretty common on the PTR, so I think people have figured out breed info based on that. This site shows breeds 5 and 6.

Spyro

Post by Spyro » June 12th, 2013, 1:04 pm

First there is a direct contradiction: One who is literally interested in farming a rare Qiraji Guardling wouldn't use a stone if they had it since that deprives them of farming the rare pet.

Perhaps you meant interested in having. Since having an "Interest in having a rare Qiraji Guardling " does not automatically impart one with a stack of humanoid stones your reasoning fails right there.

It seems you are making 2 big assumptions.

1. Anyone interested in having a rare Qiraji Guardling will regularly do the pet battle dailies.

2. That anyone regularly doing the pet battle dailies must obtain a stack of humanoid stones.

Neither follows.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » June 12th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Spyro wrote:It seems you are making 2 big assumptions.

1. Anyone interested in having a rare Qiraji Guardling will regularly do the pet battle dailies.

2. That anyone regularly doing the pet battle dailies must obtain a stack of humanoid stones.

Neither follows.

The assumptions are based on evidence on this site.

1. Anyone interested in having a rare Qiraji Guardling will regularly do the pet battle dailies. - This one is based on the fact that if you are reading this site and care about the Qiraja's quality then you most likely care about the quality of all your pets. And the best way to get all your pets to rare is by doing the dailies to get stones to upgrade all of your nonwild pets to rare.

2. That anyone regularly doing the pet battle dailies must obtain a stack of humanoid stones. - This one is based on the fact that there are only 5 humanoid battle pets that do not come in rare quality at all. On top of that if you read the trade forums you will notice that Humanoid and Undead are the stones that everyone (everyone that has stones to trade that is) has extras of. So unless you are just starting out stone hunting then you most likely have extra Humanoid stones.

Now are there going to be exceptions to this? Of course, there are always exceptions to things. But the majority of people that would read his post on this site that do care about pet quality (and not just trying to finish an achievement) would have at least one extra humanoid stone that they do not need for anything else.
Spyro wrote:One who is literally interested in farming a rare Qiraji Guardling wouldn't use a stone if they had it since that deprives them of farming the rare pet.
Now this is a valid point. I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy the "Thrill of the hunt" of trying to find a rare more than just stoneing one. But I would put that group under the exceptions catagory due to being a small % of players. (now this is an assumption on my part)
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Spyro

Post by Spyro » June 12th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Dragonwizard

"Most likely" is still open to "possibly not" and you have not actually demonstrated "most likely". You merely asserted it. Having an interest in having something does not necessitate one taking steps to obtain it. One not willing, or not being able to take those step does not automatically change the fact that one has an interest.

I could go on but the exceptions invalidate your points. :)