Share pet collecting news and advice.
Delafant
Top Rater
Pet Score:3809
BattleTag®:DELAFANT#1706
Realm:Nathrezim-us
Qiraji Guardling

Post by Delafant » June 1st, 2013, 12:29 pm

Just wanted to let people know Summer doesn't officially start until June 21! So people trying to go now may not have any luck :)

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Re: Qiraji Guardling

Post by Stabya » June 1st, 2013, 2:10 pm

Its almost like Blizz is sticking it to us. they could have made summer any time. since March.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 1st, 2013, 2:24 pm

I know! 3 weeks! Imagine the NPCs over at the Cenarion Hold freaking out "where all these people coming from? Martha, look, it's the opening of AQ all over again"

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Catalytic » June 1st, 2013, 4:22 pm

I'm so sad, we are moving on June 22nd, give up our house/internet on the 19th :cry: We'll be staying in a campground the night of the 21st, but I have to be up early on the 22nd to do the 10ish hour drive, so I won't get him for a week or so until we get settled in a new place.

Ackis
Pet Score:2647
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Ackis » June 2nd, 2013, 1:13 am

So I read through this really fast the first time and I thought it was June 2. :(

Arvelayne
Pet Score:3784
Realm:Frostwhisper-eu

Post by Arvelayne » June 2nd, 2013, 3:46 am

I think what annoys me about this is that they're just being crap. Especially when you look at the calendar and see that the 21st is about the time of the MIDsummer Fire Festival.

Methinks someone at Blizzard needs to look up what 'mid' means.

Oo

Arve,
annoyed alt.

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » June 2nd, 2013, 8:12 am

Arvelayne wrote:I think what annoys me about this is that they're just being crap. Especially when you look at the calendar and see that the 21st is about the time of the MIDsummer Fire Festival.

Methinks someone at Blizzard needs to look up what 'mid' means.

Oo

Arve,
annoyed alt.
midsummer (n.)
Old English midsumor, from mid + sumor "summer" (see summer (n.1)). Midsummer Day, as an English quarter-day, was June 24. Astronomically June 21, but traditionally reckoned in Europe on the night of June 23-24.
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » June 2nd, 2013, 12:08 pm

What annoys me is that the summer/winter fish area each around for half the year and the owl appeared way before winter officially started, but even though peeps have been clamoring for the summer pet to finish off the achievement (and collections) citing both the fish and the owl, and Blizzard's all like "oh, no, summer doesn't start til june".

That's just plain jerky.

They need to be consistent, even if the owl did come in too early, they should put the summer pet in for the same duration.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » June 2nd, 2013, 12:12 pm

So anyone else camping this on a PvE server the first week till the PvP ppl get tired of ganking and leave us collectors alone?

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » June 2nd, 2013, 5:19 pm

Tiggindy wrote:What annoys me is that the summer/winter fish area each around for half the year and the owl appeared way before winter officially started, but even though peeps have been clamoring for the summer pet to finish off the achievement (and collections) citing both the fish and the owl, and Blizzard's all like "oh, no, summer doesn't start til june".

That's just plain jerky.

They need to be consistent, even if the owl did come in too early, they should put the summer pet in for the same duration.
Yeah, They haven't followed real world seasons for as long as the game has been around and now they decide to?

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » June 2nd, 2013, 7:23 pm

Spyro wrote:Yeah, They haven't followed real world seasons for as long as the game has been around and now they decide to?
If you have to start sometime, it's better to not put it off. The other option is to have seasons in game be absolutely wonky, which they've done up until now. I actually like the idea of in-game seasons matching up with real-world seasons (with apologies to those on the southern hemisphere, where it will be opposite seasons). I remember when they first put in the achievement The Oceanographer, with the requirements for summer bass and winter squid. The only way to tell when one was available was to check out Wowhead or something to see when the seasons were. It will be nice if they add more seasonal pets or items to the game to be able to just look at a calendar.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » June 2nd, 2013, 10:53 pm

NathKnave wrote:I remember when they first put in the achievement The Oceanographer, with the requirements for summer bass and winter squid. The only way to tell when one was available was to check out Wowhead or something to see when the seasons were. It will be nice if they add more seasonal pets or items to the game to be able to just look at a calendar.
I think for a lot of us this is the problem. You had to look up what system is in use at the time, then you went OK, now I know how it works... and for the most part it did. Except then it gets changed and there's nothing telling you that oh yeah, no, the old seasons are still working the way they are except for in this one new circumstance. It's just poor design not to unify the seasons better and I do feel it's something of a failure to make the players search wide and far to find out when an in game season really starts. There really should be a "Summer starts" "Summer ends, fall begins" markers on the calendar same as we have for holidays, BG holidays, lockouts and some other special events.

For me the annoyance wasn't that I had to wait. I did the insane grind when it required Shen'dralar, I'm accustomed to waiting and taking a long time. It's that it took forever to find out what the changes to the seasons were for this specific thing. And now how do we know what dates future season changes will include? Fish seasons or pet seasons? It's that they didn't communicate very well what they were doing that frustrated me. If I'd logged in and looked at the calendar and seen ok, fall starts there, summer there and so on - that would have been so much better. Just tell us what system you're using if you're changing it, change to it completely so the system is consistent and make it so we can see when what season changes in-game. I mean we get a calendar marker for frigging Pirates Day, which as far as holiday content is just not terribly great and affects way fewer things!

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » June 3rd, 2013, 12:43 am

NathKnave wrote:
Spyro wrote:Yeah, They haven't followed real world seasons for as long as the game has been around and now they decide to?
If you have to start sometime, it's better to not put it off. The other option is to have seasons in game be absolutely wonky, which they've done up until now. I actually like the idea of in-game seasons matching up with real-world seasons (with apologies to those on the southern hemisphere, where it will be opposite seasons). I remember when they first put in the achievement The Oceanographer, with the requirements for summer bass and winter squid. The only way to tell when one was available was to check out Wowhead or something to see when the seasons were. It will be nice if they add more seasonal pets or items to the game to be able to just look at a calendar.
Well yeah, it'd be great if they fixed them all, but now if these guys are actually going to spawn on the actual first day of summer it's more wonky then if it was some weird date. At least they would be consistently wrong. Now I don't know what to expect.

Blackorange
Top Rater
Pet Score:2924
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Blackorange » June 3rd, 2013, 2:59 am

Im excited for this pet. its a shame i had to wait but thats Blizzard they need their Subscription MONEYS!!!!
I like the idea of camping this on a PVE server i think i just might do that. HMMM DK on a PVE server her i go!!