Collecting - Do you worry about breed?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ackis
Pet Score:2647
Realm:Hyjal-us
Collecting - Do you worry about breed?

Post by Ackis » May 31st, 2013, 2:44 am

I've talked with people who focus on getting the proper breed and people who just care about the rarity of the pet.

I personally tend to focus on rarity, trying to get a rare of each pet possible and using my stones on those pets that there's no way to obtain a rare version of them.

What's the consensus here? Breed > rarity? Or do you hunt for the proper breed that's a rare quality as well?

Callena
Pet Score:9554
BattleTag®:callena#2723
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Re: Collecting - Do you worry about breed?

Post by Callena » May 31st, 2013, 3:39 am

For me it depends - certain pets I have gone after a specific breed as I want to use them in battles, but mostly they are just a number in my collection and unlikely to be used much so I don't worry about the breed there :)

Mirimu
Top Rater
Pet Score:3990
BattleTag®:nyx#1397
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Mirimu » May 31st, 2013, 4:00 am

I've been collecting mini pets since I started wow at the beginning of BC.
Personally it has been about the collection and rarity rather than a specific breed.
I don't really PvP but have been somewhat forced into it to get the stunted dire horn to complete my collection.
And I retired from many years of raiding and only now do they add pets to raids!!!
My goal one day is to get all pets as rares and maybe hopefully level them all. But not fussed on breed :)

Ackis

Post by Ackis » May 31st, 2013, 8:41 am

Mirimu wrote:My goal one day is to get all pets as rares and maybe hopefully level them all. But not fussed on breed :)
I think that's my goal too. Well #1 is to get all the pets, #2 is to have them all rare (or epic or legendary) and #3 is to have the best breeds availible.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » May 31st, 2013, 8:46 am

Likewise. If I think I'll using it battling, I'll worry about breed, but otherwise it's just rarity.

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 31st, 2013, 8:46 am

I just want to have an uncommon or rare version of every pet. Don't worry about breed at all.
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » May 31st, 2013, 10:04 am

My order of priorities is: 1) get the pet 2) get any rare 3) get the best breed (or samples of several good breeds for the type of pet)

Ladymagical
Pet Score:3368
BattleTag®:emetia#1311
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Ladymagical » May 31st, 2013, 10:34 am

If I like the pet and want to use it for battle I get the right breed but if I'm just getting it for the purpose of having it I don't care about breed :)

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » May 31st, 2013, 10:51 am

I went for:

pet first, to fill the entry. Then a rare version. Then certain breeds and used stones to upgrade as I got them :) tho I was still considerate if others were also hunting, I'd just move somewhere else :)

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » May 31st, 2013, 11:29 am

I have absolutely NO interest in the breeds at all. I think it was an unnessary addition to pet battling and just complicates matters.

I focus solely on collecting as many pets as I can get, all in rare quality and then (slowly) leveling them all to 25.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 31st, 2013, 12:04 pm

I didn't learn about breeds until around January, so I already had a good sized collection and had taken down most of the tamers. It was at this horrible point that I discovered my favorite pet was the "wrong" breed, as were a couple of others who had been my chief tamer battlers. Those three pets will never be replaced with the "better" breed because they've earned their spots as my favorites, and replacing them would be a betrayal.

I used a P/B Emerald Proto Drake Whelp for a while until I found the P/P, and the difference was big enough to be noticed. So for pets I know I'm going to be using, especially tamer two man teams, having the right breed is important enough for me to put in the extra effort to find it. Even if trying to find the right breed of certain pets makes me want to tear my hair out.

Now, I look for a rare first, but if I find the desired breed in uncommon, I'll capture and hold onto it. I'll keep looking for the desired breed in rare, but if I get an extra stone for that family before the rare comes along, I'll stone the uncommon. I used a stone for my P/P Spawn of Onyxia, but found the rare P/P Emperor Crab in the wild. I keep a list of "wrong" breed rares and "right" breed uncommons I'm hoping to upgrade/replace eventually.

Apocalyptica
Pet Score:1863
BattleTag®:Apocalyptica#1388
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Apocalyptica » May 31st, 2013, 12:08 pm

I personally only care about rarity. My goal is collecting every pet in rare quality. Then I just kinda make due with what I've got for battling. Besides I feel like I've got a pretty solid level 25 team going right now so I'd rather spend my time finding other rares than other breeds of a pet I've already got...

Mirres
Pet Score:1815
BattleTag®:Mirres#1719
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Mirres » May 31st, 2013, 12:15 pm

I'm a bit of a combination. If I don't have a particular pet in my collection, I grab whatever I find. Once I have one, I look for better rarity. once I have a rare I leave it alone.

once I graduate to battling with pet breeds, I'll worry about breeds then. Right now I battle mostly with pets that only have one breed anyway.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » May 31st, 2013, 1:08 pm

I don't worry about breed at all, so when i go to PvP, i look at my level 25s and pick who I think is the best for the family at that level. When you're using type advantage, breed doesnt really matter unless its H/H since that does affect how long it will last.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » May 31st, 2013, 1:26 pm

As some others have said, I go for pet first, then rarity (my goal is all rare, all level 25)... then, if it is a pet that I would use in pet battles, I start looking for the right breed.

I have certain pets that I would never replace, even though they are the "wrong" breed. For example: Rory (one of my 2 Black Lambs) was my very first wild caught rare pet, so even though his breed is less than optimal, he is staying in my collection.

My collection of family specific battle stones is huge, I have multiples of everything except beast stones (of which I still need 5), so if I catch a new wild pet of any other family, I would go for the pet first, then the breed and just stone it once I have the breed I want. I find that having so many stones takes a lot of the stress out of pet hunting as I don't need to worry about finding a rare.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 31st, 2013, 1:52 pm

I focused solely on rarity first. Once I had all rares, then I did start paying some attention to breeds (luckily I managed to snag things like a speed Wisp along the way). I think I went back and retamed maybe a total of 3 or 4 pets for breed type after that. Pretty satisfied with my menagarie so I don't anticipate messing with it further to "perfect" it.

Plus I do have some pets that were gifted to me that are considered substandard breeds but because they were gifts I won't be changing them out for something "better". :)

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » May 31st, 2013, 2:34 pm

another way to ask the same question

1. How much do you care about pvp battling at level 25?

Other than the new achievement, I think the same people who care about breeds care about pet battles at 25. For NPC battles, breeds don´t matter that much

TippyKitt
Pet Score:2789
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by TippyKitt » May 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm

If I want to use it in battle against NPC trainers or PVP then I'll focus on breed and if I want to name them something gender specific I'll try to find the right gendered breed number but the letter breed wouldn't matter. But if I'm just getting the pet to round out my collection I just focus on rarity. I want blue 25s of all pets eventually. :3

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » May 31st, 2013, 10:39 pm

What I did was these three steps:

1) get any breed, color, level of a pet (get anything)
2) get rare copy, then release the old one that I got (make it blue)
3) get breed I want if I happen to be battling in the area and see one that might be a better fit, and it is blue

Most of the time, number 2 is good enough for me!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Ackis

Post by Ackis » June 1st, 2013, 12:51 am

Sounds like a lot of us follow the same pattern... breed is a tertiary concern.