Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us
Re: Chess Event Strategy in One JPG

Post by Dragonwizard » May 30th, 2013, 6:49 am

I can confirm that the Queen can jump pieces just like the Knights can.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 30th, 2013, 11:15 am

Ok, I guess the question then becomes: do you want the Queen to jump pieces?
I've been thinking about the extended strat's failure, and I think I've determined why. The following is speculation for the most part but it seems "true" to me.

Let's ignore our own strategy for a second, and let's talk about Medivh's strategy.

My impression of Medivh's strategy is that he is trying to rollover your pieces to defeat your King. He doesn't try to target the King from a distance and burn him; he tries to kill all the pieces in front of him in order to get to your King.

This is why the Cheating is so important; when he calls up the flames, he's targeting backline pieces that he's not addressing by his standard play in order to soften them up.

With this in mind, you see why the Rook strategy works well; the Rook has a defensive CD that gives it greater survivability. It also shows why moving the Queen out like in the alternate strategy is risky: once she's ahead of the pawn, she's fair game to Medivh's pieces. And the Queen is a great piece; she combines an AOE with a direct damage attack so that not only can she remove a target, she can take out the pieces surrounding it as well ... and the sooner she dies, the harder the game becomes (pretty much everytime Medivh starts to steamroll me to victory, it happens shortly after the Queen dies).

Ultimately the strategy is a turtle of a sort: you put on your frontline the pieces best able to survive an assault: Pawns and Rooks. You keep your Queen and King behind this defense and you wait out Medivh's relentless assault.

And then you win.

EDIT: So I will continue to move the Queen's pawn out to give her room to move if targeted by a cheat
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 30th, 2013, 4:55 pm

I used the original strategy last night, and ended up winning when my King was one of the only things left alive. I read "rook" on the diagram and thought you meant knight, because I didn't think the rook could move diagonally. Next time, going to try it by actually moving the rook like you say.

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » June 1st, 2013, 1:39 pm

ok wtf?!?! I try to move out king pawn and it wont let me control him, sigh......................

Chrth

Post by Chrth » June 1st, 2013, 3:20 pm

Misstic wrote:ok wtf?!?! I try to move out king pawn and it wont let me control him, sigh......................
there's a debuff after you leave a piece, you have to wait for it to expire, and it's static so that if you click before the debuff expires you will not be able to control him without closing the window and trying again

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356

Post by Misstic » June 1st, 2013, 5:20 pm

Chrth wrote:
Misstic wrote:ok wtf?!?! I try to move out king pawn and it wont let me control him, sigh......................
there's a debuff after you leave a piece, you have to wait for it to expire, and it's static so that if you click before the debuff expires you will not be able to control him without closing the window and trying again
WOW thanks I am DUMB!

Taliaz
Pet Score:9826
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Taliaz » June 1st, 2013, 6:04 pm

After attempting the dreaded chess event several times I finally said screw it and bought a netherspace abyssal off the AH. The very next day I finds this and it works almost perfectly the first time! (couldn't move one of the rooks right away because opposing pawn was in the way...killed it and back to the strat.) Needless to say the pet dropped off prince, so now I have 2. To sell, or surprise a fellow guildie...decisions decisions! :D

Thanks sooo much! All the other stuff written about this is either old or says it's pure dumb luck...

Chrth

Post by Chrth » June 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm

Taliaz wrote: To sell, or surprise a fellow guildie...decisions decisions! :D
Or you could donate it to the author of this post ;)

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » June 2nd, 2013, 5:36 pm

I have done Chess Event quite a few times now, even before RWL2 and previous expansion. Even did it solo when it was bugged (ultra fast moving pieces and double fast fire). Now they have nerfed it well, slow and easy for everyone to beat it.

I use the same opener as OP first Picture. The Towers protects your flanks with aoe while being sturdy, as support i move up the horses NeXT to the Towers, either side and footmen last. I create a frontline of units on the 3rd row to tank and aoe down the enemy while my key pieces remain safely back out of enemy's aoe.

Make sure the Kings front footman is moved before the first cheat (almost always fire). DBM shows timers for it now. As you click move, you can allready leave the vehicle by rightclicking away the 'Control piece' buff, saving 2 secs, get into position for NeXT piece, dont click dialogue before your debuffs Wears off, else you gotta reselect the piece.

Order on move out of fire: King>Queen>priest - can leave rest in fire, doesnt matter much. Watch the timer, remember the debuff is 8?sec so Count that in.

Let the game play itself, its really important. Let the king stand back and cleave anyone who might break through, priests will be on him, but keep an eye out in case. Once frontline is up (should be up shortly after first fire), get into queen and rain of fire>ice lance Down their Queen/priest/king.

Cpudude30k
Pet Score:828
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Cpudude30k » June 3rd, 2013, 6:38 pm

I have no clue why chess is even in here lol did they release this during the Potter craze? also great guide need to try this.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » June 28th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I read a comment.. somewhere.. about using a [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=86587]Seed of Tranquil Growth[/url] while doing the event.

It is a tad buggy, so it doesnt always recognize that you are playing one of the pieces, but when it does, that rejuv does some nice healing on that piece.

I dont know if I would try to farm it up just for this encounter, but if you have it, I would recommend equipping it and summoning the treant before you start the event ;)

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 29th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Just dropping in to say this strat remedied all my chess related issues!

I use your 'alternate' strat and then control the queen to take out whichever the enemy reveals first - king or queen

Rets187
Pet Score:2826

Post by Rets187 » July 3rd, 2014, 11:17 am

worked first time (:, i did get a bit worried when the fire came down tho, all was great tho :) thanks

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » July 3rd, 2014, 2:46 pm

Went back to Kara the other day after several months out. I actually relocated this thread with search because it's so useful. I just do the 5 opening moves from the jpeg, then wing it from there. Never fails - thanks OP. :)